1985 Semifinals / Performance Order

I was taking a look at 1985 Open Class Semifinals on From The Press Box and found it unusual (my direct experience with drum corps doesn't kick in until 1988, so I am not familiar with what happened before then). What determined the performance order?

The performance order appears to have been (with placement in parentheses):

1. Connexion Quebec (25th)

2. Marauders (24th)

3. California Dons (23rd)

4. Argonauts (22nd)

5. Knights (19th)

6. Florida Wave (21st)

7. Boston Crusaders (20th)

8. Avant Garde (18th)

9. Colts (16th)

10. Sky Ryders (15th)

11. Les Eclipses (14th)

12. Troopers (9th)

13. Star of Indiana (10th)

14. Vanguard (2nd)

15. Cavaliers (5th)

16. Garfield Cadets (1st)

17. Madison Scouts (4th)

18. Bridgemen (26th)

19. Blue Devils (3rd)

20. Velvet Knights (11th)

21. Spirit of Atlanta (8th)

22. 27th Lancers (13th)

23. Freelancers (12th)

24. Crossmen (17th)

25. Phantom Regiment (7th)

26. Suncoast Sound (6th)

As best I can tell, the first 13 corps came in through Prelims/Quarterfinals. Bridgemen were included in the finalist corps...was 1984 a year when they were disqualified or something? It looks like the top 12 went on in random order, given that Suncoast went on last while Vanguard and Garfield went on fairly early.

The numbers after the corps are their Semi-final placements. The Knights, for instance, were ranked behind Fla. Wave and Boston in Quarters, so we went on before them on Friday and BEAT THEM BOTH, rising to 19th in Semis in the process. HEH. Ahem.

Star was the last corps on in the afternoon, 'Non-Finalist' block and SCV was the first corps on after dinner. The Bridgemen did go on in the evening, despite not making Finals in 84. I believe that was the 'grace period' in effect. There was a Top 26 that year. Why, I have no idea. Perhaps no one expected the Brigemen would underscore so severely. They were 'graced in,' and thus didn't have to qualify from Quarters.

So, shorter version: Semis order was in reverse order of finish from Quarters, and the DCI after-dinner block was by draw.

That's still one of my favorite days of drum corps ever, on par with Whitewater 83 and Kansas City Semis 88.

I was taking a look at 1985 Open Class Semifinals on From The Press Box and found it unusual (my direct experience with drum corps doesn't kick in until 1988, so I am not familiar with what happened before then). What determined the performance order?

The performance order appears to have been (with placement in parentheses):

1. Connexion Quebec (25th)

2. Marauders (24th)

3. California Dons (23rd)

4. Argonauts (22nd)

5. Knights (19th)

6. Florida Wave (21st)

7. Boston Crusaders (20th)

8. Avant Garde (18th)

9. Colts (16th)

10. Sky Ryders (15th)

11. Les Eclipses (14th)

12. Troopers (9th)

13. Star of Indiana (10th)

14. Vanguard (2nd)

15. Cavaliers (5th)

16. Garfield Cadets (1st)

17. Madison Scouts (4th)

18. Bridgemen (26th)

19. Blue Devils (3rd)

20. Velvet Knights (11th)

21. Spirit of Atlanta (8th)

22. 27th Lancers (13th)

23. Freelancers (12th)

24. Crossmen (17th)

25. Phantom Regiment (7th)

26. Suncoast Sound (6th)

As best I can tell, the first 13 corps came in through Prelims/Quarterfinals. Bridgemen were included in the finalist corps...was 1984 a year when they were disqualified or something? It looks like the top 12 went on in random order, given that Suncoast went on last while Vanguard and Garfield went on fairly early.

I always thought the 26 corps was due to the Les Eclipses being DQed in 84' due to over age. I cannot remember the formulas about who transfered and got Quarter finals byes. I always assumed that California Dons and Argonauts got an official tie for 25th in 84' after Les Eclipses were DQed. But you might be correct with the Bridgemen's bye from quarters and possible grace period. It was confusing considering Star, Les Eclipses, Connexion Quebec, and Marauders all transfered from Open Prelims through to Semis. There were also several ties in Quarters. Wasn't it great in the days when you had 39+ corps in open class?

Open prelims in 85' was the first win in the history of Star of Indiana. We performed 5 times that week; Prelims, National Anthems for ClassA/A-60 finals, Quarters, Semis, and Finals. We also had a banquet after Semis, busy week.

Edited by mchromik

Open prelims in 85' was the first win in the history of Star of Indiana. We performed 5 times that week; Prelims, National Anthems for ClassA/A-60 finals, Quarters, Semis, and Finals. We also had a banquet after Semis, busy week.

I think we need more of that in the activity these days.

Thanks for sharing some insight on 1985 with me. I went to look at that stuff just to see where Star had gone on and found myself having lots of questions. In the days of Prelims, Championships week seems like it was far more exciting and entertaining than it is these days.

The numbers after the corps are their Semi-final placements. The Knights, for instance, were ranked behind Fla. Wave and Boston in Quarters, so we went on before them on Friday and BEAT THEM BOTH, rising to 19th in Semis in the process. HEH. Ahem.

Congrats. I bet it is a lot of fun to beat somebody that goes on after you. :)

The year I marched with Spirit we experienced the other side of that more than a few times during the season. :(

Edited by Tekneek

I forget what they actually called it (member status perhaps), but it worked essentially like this. If a corps made Finals the previous year, they were automatically seeded into Semi-Finals. Additionally, if a corps had been a Finalist for 3 consequtive years, but missed Finals the previous year, they were still automatically seeded into Semi-Finals (something to do with status as a member of the BOD).

Bridgemen were Finalists in 81, 82, and 83, but missed in 84. As a result, they were automatically seeded into Semi-Finals, even though competitively they would not have made the top 25 (and didn't in fact, by placing 26th). The Marauders and Connexcion Quebec tied in Quarterfinals, which brought both corps into Semi-Finals. As a result, there were 26 corps in Semi-finals that year.

The top corps advancing from Quarterfinals performed in reverse order of finish. The member corps performed in what was called "the block", and performance order was determined randomly.

Star was the last corps on in the afternoon, 'Non-Finalist' block and SCV was the first corps on after dinner. The Bridgemen did go on in the evening, despite not making Finals in 84. I believe that was the 'grace period' in effect. There was a Top 26 that year. Why, I have no idea. Perhaps no one expected the Brigemen would underscore so severely. They were 'graced in,' and thus didn't have to qualify from Quarters.

So, shorter version: Semis order was in reverse order of finish from Quarters, and the DCI after-dinner block was by draw.

That's still one of my favorite days of drum corps ever, on par with Whitewater 83 and Kansas City Semis 88.

One of my favorite drum corps days as well, for obvious reasons :) (my favorite was probably semis or finals '84, or maybe Whitewater '84). I can still picture Bridgemen playing their christmas show and being happy and sad at the same time. The image of the entire corps playing from inside a giant christmas present is indelible.

First time we had associated. I can't TELL YOU GUYS what that meant to us.

It's one thing to join the SCV, or Blue Devils, or Troopers.... It's another thing altogether to spend years in the same corps and EARN your placement.

Edited by apoch003

Yeah, whatever........... lol.

We had an AWFUL show at semis (the intro to our 3rd song tore and almost fell apart completely). Our staff tried to lie to us and say it was good, but everyone new it wasn't. :wink:

Edited by BbTrpt1

First time we had associated. I can't TELL YOU GUYS what that meant to us.

It's one thing to join the SCV, or Blue Devils, or Troopers.... It's another thing altogether to spend years in the same corps and EARN your placement.

Said it before, say it again...Argos were clean as a whistle that year. We kept wondering hw they were beating us all summer, then we saw them. Ca-leen. Not the toughest show ever, which is why I think we eventually passed them, but very. Very. Clean. W00t!

And Bb Trpt 1, thanks for the comment. Interesting that you did what you thought was a bad show, while we gave one of the five greatest performances ever by the Knights that day. Such balance in nature.