Indy Webcast HQ

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their last guard score was a 16.4 wich was HUGE for that guard

I was at Indy last night. The Scouts had their best show of the year. Brought tears to my eyes thinking of how hard these young men have worked. I stopped over at Danville HS at 11:30 am and they'd already been out on the field since 8am.

It was Cap Sound's last show last night. I saw them gathering together, as they always have, as a family saying goodbye. That brought tears to my eyes, too.

I later found out that they are doing something so cool. Sending their ageouts to California for the age out ceremony.

As always, a class organization.

Call me crazy....but being out of step EVER is pretty inexcusable.

Hey, that's today's drum corps !!!!! b**bs b**bs

As long as it looks good from the GE box, being in step on the field just doesn't seem to matter, I guess !! B)

At some point, though, you should be getting credit for marching and playing difficult drill and music simultaneously well.

Yes, and that point is when the drill is being performed well.

Look...having watched Marie judge for over 15 years, I was ok with her score tonight...she could have really dropped them.

I was frankly shocked by the drum judge dumping the Regiment behind BD. No excuse. It was a bad call. Regiment's drums are and have been all season....the best taking the field. That was a crock and lost the corps .3 putting them much closer to Cavies.

Spirit 81.3 Blue Stars 79.45 = FLUKE

Now, before you all start freaking out let me clarify. After seeing these two corps head to head in Dubuque, it is definitely concievable that these two could/should be trading placements as they battle it out. BUT, a 2.4 flip in spread in three days, after Blue Stars have beaten them every show from San Antonio on, is a fluke. I'll be VERY surprised if that holds.

Edited by BozzlyB

Spirit 81.3 Blue Stars 79.45 = FLUKE

Now, before you all start freaking out let me clarify. After seeing these two corps head to head in Dubuque, it is definitely concievable that these two could/should be trading placements as they battle it out. BUT, a 2.4 flip in spread in three days, after Blue Stars have beaten them every show from San Antonio on, is a fluke. I'll be VERY surprised if that holds.

Corps perform

Judges score

Fans applaud and scream

DCPers complain

OK...now I have everyone's roles correct.

I was at the show last night.

I agree with all scores except for Phantom and Cavies. If you switched these two scores, I would be happy. Phantom was really on fire and very, very musical tonight. You can just feel each member of the corps emoting while they perform. I was also surprised how clean there visuals were. Great form control and tons of playing while marching. In my opinion, their feet were far cleaner than the Cavies.

The Cavaliers seem to just not be able to get ahold of this show musically. There were several sections that seemed to almost fall apart because of phasing issues. Their feet were also very dirty for the Cavaliers. I even saw a few people out of step toward the end. I too am also starting to be slightly annoyed at how little they play while doing any difficulty marching. I often get most exited during live shows when I see this incredible demand on the members, either because they are moving fast, or very spread out. This never happened during the Cavaliers show. I can understand them getting high marks in visual effect and obviously colorguard (one of the best ever), but beating Phantom in music ensemble with several blatant phasing issues????? I don't get it. I also noticed many of the exact same music problems while they stood still for their encore, so it is not visual demand affecting the music, they are just struggling as a brassline.

I'll post a full review later.

Edited by Tez

I too am also starting to be slightly annoyed at how little they play while doing any difficulty marching.

Just something to think about: Most of the difficulty in a marching performance is based on heart rate and controlling your wind. Most high school bands can play on the move. That is not the difficult part. It's the "running" around and high velocity that drives up the heart rate, and the heart rate does not automatically drop the moment you go into a half-time phrase or cut down to a smaller step size. It can take several minutes.

This illustrates the mis-direction of the gentleman who documented the time of playing on the move for some of the top-6 shows.