DATR Review

Enjoyed the show this evening. Every corps tonight was better than I remember their last year's performance, which is only good for the activity.

Some background: I'm a percussionist with a decent idea about visual design, though not much about guard or brass. I'm a Blue Knights alum, and I do root for BK, though I think I'm capable of giving balanced analysis on them. Also, I sat at about the 35 on side 1, in club level, roughly 5 rows in elevation above the box judges... here we go:

Troopers-

I'm glad to see the Troop back. Show was more contemporary than most Troopers shows over the past several seasons, but retained a lot of tradition. Guard unis looked great, though I wish there was something on the corps proper that set their jackets off from the pants... the "jumpsuit" look makes them look a little strange, but not terrible.

Brass sounded full, but not as good as I was hoping for... definitely not terrible, though. Percussion had a lot of field presence, but needed a lot more quality at low heights. They're using a really legato stroke that needs tightening up player to player. Program flowed alright, held my attention well enough, but didn't blow me away. A great start back for this corps.

Mandarins-

Enjoyed the show more than past offerings from them. I do wish they'd play up the taiko drums a lot more. Maybe even roll them onto the field. They feature them musically, but it felt like a missed opportunity to present them visually as well. Speaking of visuals, I really like the look of the corps this year. Orange uniforms look great and distinct, the flags are gorgeous. Didn't really like the guard costumes that start of with different shades of orange. The variations in color didn't work well with each other. Also, I didn't get the point of the bamboo stalks... They never really utilize them in a meaningful way, and moving them can be distracting at times.

Not the best playing corps of the night, and at times, probably the worst. They definitely had their moments, but as competitive as the field was, they didn't do much to surpass anyone musically, in my opinion. They did move well, though. Pacing could have been improved.

Cascades-

They had a really solid ensemble performance... probably the best of the "lower tier" tonight. Very solid time throughout the corps. I also enjoyed their drill a lot. The running motif of isolating a drummer, a brass player, and a colorguard member was well developed and clever with their "Three" theme.

Very decent drill, and pretty well executed. Brass sounded okay, percussion was less so. Just a general lack of clarity compared to just about anyone else. Not much vibe from the drumline.

Pacific Crest-

Not really a fan of this show. The narration is awkward, and quite honestly unnecessary. With the title and musical selection, they probably didn't need to reinforce with vocals that this was a Vegas show. The flow of the show did nothing for me, nor did the arrangement of "Luck Be a Lady."

Colorguard seemed quite decent. Didn't like their flag designs so much, but they seemed to have good movement skills. Brass sounded really strong as well. The drumline was quite inconsistent within the sections. The quad line was okay, the basses were just kinda "there," but the snares were rough. Very ragged. They need to clean up a lot in the next couple weeks.

Crossmen-

A very noticeable step up in quality from the previous corps. The cape effect was cool and elicited a great response from the crowd. Too bad it's not part of the actual show.

Good snare line. Very exposed, and some ticky-tack errors came through, but nothing that can't be cleaned up by Pasadena. Cool colorguard uniforms, especially with the magic trick. ;) Too bad the nicest corps uniform from last year were ruined by adding superfluous elements. Took a clean, simple look and made it tacky and jarring.

I appreciated what they were getting at, quoting different signature pieces that the corps is known for. Show wasn't my cup of tea, per se, but that doesn't mean it was bad. Definitely better and more sophisticated than last year's show design.

The Academy-

I really enjoyed the musical selections. Brass was the best of the night at that point, and the percussion sounded strong, too. Good marching corps, though I found their drill underwhelming. They try to tell a bit of a story between three of the guard members, and used the costumes well to help set them apart. The choreography seemed very awkward, though. Also, the story, while not confusing, wasn't that compelling. I know it needs to be easy enough to get from the upper deck, you do have 11 minutes to work with. It just felt like the girl was going back and forth between the two guys for the whole show. Lost interest in it.

But all and all, a very entertaining package, and definitely a corps to watch for in the serious competitive mix sooner rather than later.

Glassmen-

I liked this show live a lot more than I liked it from the San Antonio webcast. The intro percussion groove is really cool. Nice characterization in the colorguard. All and all, it seemed like there was pretty balanced talent throughout the different sections of the corps. Not my favorite music of the night, but it was well performed. The section of the drill where they re-evolve the triangle logo was cool. Really nothing bad stuck out at all. (Though nothing that remarkable did, either)

Santa Clara Vanguard-

Hands down my favorite drill of the evening. Just amazing... even better than last year. Enjoyed the music for the most part, though it wasn't as slick as usual Vanguard selections. I thought the drumline was maybe a touch better than Crown's, though the numbers don't reflect that. They certainly expose the percussion, though. When it cleans up a touch, I'm sure they'll be getting more love. Nice big brass sound. But yeah, the visual is the highlight of this show. Definitely an upgrade in their drill design during the last couple years.

Blue Knights-

The visual captions have worried me this year (as is usual for BK), but I have to say that they have cleaned up a lot since San Antonio, and a ton since Atlanta. the drill looks night-and-day different in terms of cleanliness, as does the body movement. They still need to keep at it, but they've eased my worrying a little bit.

I love the brass sound— probably the best sounding hornline in the corps' history. Definitely the richest brass that these untrained ears have heard from the corps. The percussion writing is very unique and very sophisticated. The drumline is a lot more exposed than last year, though the pit is not. The board levels in the pit should probably be re-examined. The keyboards seemed under balanced, while the concert snare that is mic'ed sounds way too loud and unnatural.

It is probably my favorite Blue Knights show ever, in terms of design. I generally like their music, and this year turns it up for me, though it's not the truest arrangement of classical works that they've ever played. I generally am not a fan of the drill, but this year bothered me less in general, though there's really not any big moments with it, either.

In just about any other year, this show would be challenging for 5th or 6th. They've definitely closed the gap with SCV, so it will be interesting to see where things shake out in a couple weeks. Keep at it guys!

Carolina Crown-

Wow! They're the deal this year. Incredibly accessible show, though not devoid of clever, sophisticated moments. Brass sounds as big as ever, and are given ample moments to really shine. The percussion section is not a liability as in past years, and I think that's why they've been able to go on the tear that they've been on the past several weeks.

They had my second favorite drill of the evening, and performed it pretty well. The horse race moment is a riot, and really grabbed the audience. All of the little humorous moments ware very refreshing. Just a great production.

Bluecoats-

These guys just oozed style. While I was really lukewarm on the new uniforms in photos, I have to agree with many that they look terrific at night and on the move. Definitely built for finals, and definitely helped set the mood for the show.

Music selection was really hip, and while a couple of the vocals got lost in the sauce from where I was sitting, I thought that this was the first time amped speaking in DCI not only didn't come off as distracting, but added effect to a show in a big and meaningful way. The best overall presentation of the night.

Percussion sounded generally great, though was plagued by some minor bits of dirt in the beginning. Brass sounded really nice, and seemed to be able to slip into character, musically, to tell the story. Really enjoyed this one, too.

The Cadets-

This is by and large an essay with drum corps accompaniment. If you like that, or at least can get past that, then you'll probably like this show. Personally, I didn't. My largest issue with it, is not that it has narration, but that it's completely unfocused in its scope. It goes from being a PSA about community involvement and free choice, to a "young persons guide" to the musical instruments, to an editorial on a drum corps rehearsal juxtaposed with a Martha Graham essay, to an emo after school special about a lonely kid finding happiness in music. There just wasn't much to tie it together, in my opinion. I never quite understood what they were getting at.

That being said, I was able to put my feelings on their narration away enough to appreciate their great corps. Amazing performers, and the music and drill design was fantastic. Each section had their times to shine, and they used that exposure to their full advantage. I just wish the narration wasn't set up in a way to alienate so many fans so that the performing members would get the audience reaction that they deserve. I don't think the "applause meter" got above anyone after the intermission (SCV on), which is a shame, because this is an extraordinary group of performers being asked to do some very challenging things.

I really enjoyed my first live drum corps experience of the year, and am looking forward to seeing these corps' progress in a couple weeks, as well as the rest of the Div I field! Pasadena, here I come!

Edited by Keith Laubhan

Enjoyed the show this evening. Every corps tonight was better than I remember their last year's performance, which is only good for the activity.

Some background: I'm a percussionist with a decent idea about visual design, though not much about guard or brass. I'm a Blue Knights alum, and I do root for BK, though I think I'm capable of giving balanced analysis on them. Also, I sat at about the 35 on side 1, in club level, roughly 5 rows in elevation above the box judges... here we go:

Great review Keith, one of these years my Mrs. and I will have to make it back up to Denver to catch DATR. The show used to be a lot earlier (around 4th of July) and where it is now conflicts with my HS students camp starting up. Oh well, look forward to meeting you one of these years and bet the crowd gave it up for BK!!! How was their encore by the way???

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

O'Connor HS Asst. Band Director

Edited by wesleyrp