the next two big innovations

B)

Someone needs to send that one to Hoppy's Open Source...if anyone would try that, it'd be the cadets.

I think people who are talking about innovations with STUFF (keyboards, lights, etc.) are a bit on the wrong track. The next innovation will be about what the PERFORMERS are asked to to, much like the examples above. More professional, more mature, more responsibility...more outside the box.

Edit: heh heh, silly me, Hi George. Guess nobody needs to send that one in, seeing as you're participating in the thread.

Edited by octavia9299

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or along these lines -- I posited in a different (similar) thread: What about a corps learning three shows that are really encompass one long story? So each show you perform one of the three and on finals week you perform each show once for Q/S/F. Think of it as a cliffhanger moment each night. And imagine the "fun" the judges would have being forced to judges THAT nights performance of THAT nights show to place you appropriately!!!

Or for a simpler version of this -- how about three corps getting together to tell a long story across all their shows. Kinda like how on TV sometimes two shows will span a storyline across them (think Law & Order and Homicide:Life on the Streets for example).

Imagine Pacific Crest starting the story and ending with a cliffhanger. Later in the evening, the Glassmen take up the same story, and continue it with a different style of music, again ending eith a cliffhanger. Finally, after a few corps in between, the Cadets finish the story in their own style -- maybe throwing in multiple endings (a la Clue) to add to the suspense.

Would require design coordination of course, but hey we're all family, right !!!!

(Disclaimer: Corps in question chosen for no particular reason other than trying to spread out the evening. Maybe three Top 12s would make more sense :unsure:)

Edited by Liam

I really like the idea of a show with different potential endings, with the deciding point (the branching point in the decision tree) somewhere in the first part of the show. Some small event that all the performers have to know about and pay attention to. Every time I see The Nutcracker I think, 'This time the Rat King's going to win."

My rookie year in PC I spoke with someone who had a corps jacket that I didn't recognize. He went on about G-trumpets and prancing colorguard for a while and I listened politely and suggested that someone should start a throw-back corps and show all us newbies how it's done.

Later when in the stands, I imagined a time when I too would be a cranky old man:

"Back in my day, we marched. None of this jet-pack garbage these kids are using today! Also, our uniforms weren't covered with ads, some corps these days look like NASCAR drivers! And we didn't play hip-hop on the field, rapping was definitely out! And don't get me started about these electric bugles! Drum corps were accoustic! At retreat we all stood at attention, none of this global-rainbow hugging and playing the UN anthem. Disgraceful! I want my $300 back!"

I guess I'll have to accept getting thrown in with the crowd that hates everything after VFW, just because I don't think ALL "innovation" is good. That's not me, but I don't mind if you categorize me to suit your needs. But let me ask you this....

Isn't it just a bit lazy and UNcreative when you have to change so many fundamentals of an activity just to do something new? Have we really run out of new ways to do drill, guard, brass, and percussion? Do we have to throw the baby out with the bathwater to improve the sport? (And by the way, since this is a sport, when does the random drug testing begin? It would have ruined a lot of great corps "back in the day" LOL. I suspect that's part of where some of the new ideas are coming from now... but I digress)

I am, however, looking forward to the day when high GE will go to the rap corps with the hottest bootyshakers. I hope senior corps get there too, so I can enjoy it without feeling dirty! b**bs

I am, however, looking forward to the day when high GE will go to the rap corps with the hottest bootyshakers.

Worrying that rap and hip-hop bootyshaking will infiltrate drum corps is like worrying about Lawrence Welk infiltrating Soul Train (figured I'd thrown in some point of reference for your generation, or maybe those shows were a bit after your time? :) ).

Drum corps, to most of the know universe, is pretty much viewed about the same as the world championships of Dungeons & Dragons or that one guy who has seen Cats more than 3,000 times.

If anything, drum corps is becoming more and more geeky (in the best sense of the term), more cerebral, more artistic, and certainly less hip.

This limited approach has a more limited appeal, a focus that is truly attracting the best and the brightest kids around these days... which has been, and will continue, transforming the activity.

Drum corps, to most of the know universe, is pretty much viewed about the same as the world championships of Dungeons & Dragons or that one guy who has seen Cats more than 3,000 times.

As far as the dork factor goes... ESPN also shows the "Magic: The Gathering" championship (also sponsored by a "DCI").

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dci/welcome

:P

Animals! Yup, widespread use of animals in the programs. Of course, they will start out small, but quickly progress into the incorporation of larger, wild animals… lion, and tigers, and bears (oh my). Imagine what Crown could have down this year with a dozen or so wild horses and what Phantom or Blue Devils could done with flocks of wild birds (or bats). Phantom could even revisit Swan Lake. The possibilities are endless, although it does add some complexity (and time no doubt) to cleaning the field in between corps.