Madison Scouts -Can someone give me an unbiased explanation of what ha

Years back I always thought the Scouts would stay in the top 12 longer than Cavaliers. They had a great rivalry in years past.

I'm really pulling for the Scouts to get back to the Big Dance. :worthy:

These things go in cycles. It's climate shifting not global warming.

Go Scouts! Never Stand Alone!

Is not...it's the sun. Happens every day. Sun comes up, temperature rises. Sun goes down, temperature falls.

Why is it any different that a gas stove? Turn up the heat, water boils faster. Turn down the heat, takes longer to boil the water.

Apply to global warming: The icebergs and glaciers have been meliting for 20 million years, or some dumb thing. What happened before the invention of the burning of coal and the invention of the internal combustion engine?

Apply to solar issues: If you turn up the temperature of the stove (sun burns brighter/hotter/emits more radiation), the water boils faster (glaciers melt/oceans rise/no more need for DC in NYC!); If the temperature of the stove goes down (sun burns cooler), the temperature of the water does too.

No application whatsoever to drum corps. But thought-provoking.

I can hear the mod's knocking now...dang it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw scouts in Allen Town this yaer, and actually their opener wasnt bad, despite the holes. but after the end of the first tune they just went down... i think they need to fill the holes in and just do major cleaning of the second half....

Besides the proverbial, "They suck," can someone explain why one year they are top six and then the next year they almost got beat by Southwind last night in Broken Arrow? I mean, Southwind! And don't give me, "they are great this year," slop I've seen on the boards. I saw it with my own eyes. Help a casual drum corps fan out here!

talent and experience level disparity between themselves and other Corps placing ahead of them, , execution levels, show design coordination and integration. That pretty much sums up why Madison finds themselves where they are this year. But hopefully they'll get it together for next year.

Edited by X DM

talent and experience level disparity between themselves and other Corps placing ahead of them, , execution levels, show design coordination and integration. That pretty much sums up why Madison finds themselves where they are this year. But hopefully they'll get it together for next year.

And this year isn't over yet either. They started the season something like 6 or 7 points

down from the Blue Stars. The last 3 shows they closed that gap to 1.2 or less!

Also, I talked to Mr. Spanos this morning and they still have a couple little things

up their sleeves and are really pushing hard to get this baby clean! :)

what I'm interested in is the impact the organizational structure has with the product on the field.

from reading other Madison topics I gather that there was some sort of shake up at the top of the organization and the leadership team from last year was asked to leave (?)

So a totally new leadership group comes in and it takes awhile for the systems to get worked out --

I think what effects groups the most when there is instability at the top of the organization is member turn over due to instructors not being with the program any longer --

is this part of what happened last year after the shake up? Were there a lot of members who left when certain instructors left?

Where is Madison getting most of their talent? Local high schools? Or do most of the members follow instructors with whom they have personal friendships and connections?

These are just questions from a new drum corps fan -- it seems to me that successful corps have stability in their key leadership and design positions -- how are corps able to retain their design and instructional staff? Just pay them a lot of money and have them sign non competes?

Edited by sneakypete

it's not etiquette to call a drum corps a drum corps. it's just what it is. it's not "animal etiquette" to call a dog a cat, is it? it's just the way it is.

But it IS ok to call both dogs and cats 'animals'...and drum corps is a flavor of 'marching band', so the poster is not wrong in what he wrote, even if it was just a slip from a FAN.

I've been thinking about this question for for about 14 hours now and here is what I have came up with.

In a nut shell , All new management,all new staff,many rookie's (not young , not new to drum corps,just new to the corps ) , Had drill that did not work, learned whole new drill while on the road, Great show now !!!!!!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Bill Leslie

Edited by Bill L.

I've been thinking about this question for for about 14 hours now and here is what I have came up with.

In a nut shell , All new management,all new staff,many rookie's (not young , not new to drum corps,just new to the corps ) , Had drill that did not work, learned whole new drill while on the road, Great show now !!!!!!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Bill Leslie

The problem is that it's a good show, but not a great show. I like the direction the Scouts are going, but it's not a Finals-level production.

Last time I checked, you and I were who those guys performed to.

^OO^ And that's quite enough for me.

Great big ol' :worthy: for the entire Madison Scouts organization. Any show where they make an appearance is automatically a better show, IMO.