All-Age Corps Members Competing At DCI

There has been a bit of a heated discussion in another thread about All-Age (DCA) corps having members, who are eligible age wise to march a junior (DCI) corps, in their ranks. Not intending to have that discussion here, but I wanted to mention a fantastic co-operative effort between DCI and the DCA corps who are members of DCI that has happened this year.

DCI agreed to and invited younger members of all-age corps that are members of DCI, and would qualify under the DCI age rules to march in a DCI corps, to compete in the DCI I & E competition in Pasadena.

I really appreciate the performance opportunity that DCI gives us out here on the west coast. If not for DCI, we would have to travel very long distances to perfrom which would easily triple, or more, our tour fees. I also thank them for this effort of accepting younger members into the I & E competition at DCI Finals week. It shows a true acceptance, and co-operation, between the membership of DCI and the DCA corps who are allowed to perform at DCI shows.

All of the discussion of "Junior vs. All-Age" and "DCI vs. DCA" seems to have melted away a little bit. Thanks DCI!

This used to happen the other way. After DCI season was over some junior corps members would hop into DCA corps to march at DCA. Not sure if it still happens anymore.

This used to happen the other way. After DCI season was over some junior corps members would hop into DCA corps to march at DCA. Not sure if it still happens anymore.

I've known of several instances in the last few years where this has happened.

I agree with Renegade Fireman's comments -- DCI's job is to promote DCI and its corps, and try to reach out to as many eligible kids, donors, sponsors, teachers, etc., as possible. That's not necessarily antagonistic to DCA, and I wouldn't read the I&E opportunity as a underhanded move to plot our demise. For the past two years the Bucs have been privileged to perform at DCI East -- in both instances the invitation came from DCI; it was not a gig we sought. Both times, everyone at DCI, from the local planning committee to Mr. Acheson himself, were nothing but courteous, welcoming and professional, and happy we were there to bring our version of drum corps to the fans.

Just my 2 cents (from someone who worked for DCI last summer)

DCI really does not have anything out against DCA corps. There is no bashing or hatred against those over 22.

DCI's main concern is the kids. flat out, black and white. If there are open spots in a show, they will give a jr corps a spot, way before a DCA corps. Its to help the Jr corps stay on tour by giving them needed finances, housing, and more operatunity to perform.

If you remember, last summer ( or the one before) they let high school kids outside of corps compete in I and E as well. I personally was unaware of the DCA rule, but im pretty sure no one from a DCA corps competed anyway. Im sure the idea of letting DCA kids compete, is to eventually get them marching with a DCI corps. Its all about exposure.

DCI really is not the money grubbing, DCA hating monster you guys think it is.

If anyone has been around long enough (like me :sshh: ) to remember the DCI/DCA Cold War this is a step forward. Things have gotten better between the organizations as the number of corps/shows/fans have gone down over the decades. Not sure about the West Coast since Senior corps is a fairly new thing. But young folks have been starting out with a East Coast Senior corps for the experience then going to a DCI corps for years now.

Im from the west...and I did it!

Renegades to Crossmen baby.

Could you please explain this to us.

Just my 2 cents (from someone who worked for DCI last summer)

DCI's main concern is the kids. flat out, black and white. If there are open spots in a show, they will give a jr corps a spot, way before a DCA corps. Its to help the Jr corps stay on tour by giving them needed finances, housing, and more operatunity to perform.

I think its pretty self-explanitory.

Again, I am no longer with DCI (just a summer internship), but I wanted to make a point.

I'm sure there are valid reasons - but I sure wish Renegades would have been invited to perform at the DCI West/Stanford show. It would have been a wonderful way to show those currently in corps that there is a way to keep their love of music and performing drum corps going in a valid, exciting way.

DCI kids still fill in holes in DCA corps after DCI Finals, or whenever their season ends. We recently got a few people from 7th Regiment to fill a few holes, and I know of one member of Crossmen who will be marching with us if the holes are still there when he comes back from tour.

Valid reasons that had nothing to do with The Renegades at all :)