1989 Cadets

In '89 Cadets were always my first choice to check out in the lot (after I finished whatever it was that I was doing on the field that year). A gazillion notes, and played very, very well. From my perspective though, '88 is my favorite....VERY underrated due to the abstract nature of the show, and because (I'll say it!) it had "musical integrity" :lol: , which doesn't always fly so much. All in all, '87-'89, and as SC mentioned, '90 towards the end, were some absolutely tremendous lines for the Cadets. :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this Zingali's last year to write for the Cadets?

I think so, he was with us in 1990.

I loved 89 Cadets. I'm not sure Broadway is as popular a show theme now as it was in the 80's-early 90's. It would be neat to see it on the field again though.

I think so, he was with us in 1990.

I loved 89 Cadets. I'm not sure Broadway is as popular a show theme now as it was in the 80's-early 90's. It would be neat to see it on the field again though.

I'm pretty sure he wrote drill for the Cadets in 88 - but I wasn't sure if he wrote 89. I thought that was Sylvester. So I went to my file full of programs from my drum corps years. And here's what it says from the 1989 Centerville, Ohio program:

"The Cadets of Bergen County hope to take tonight's Soaring Sounds audience by storm with their non literal interpretation, utilizing the always-innovative choreography of George Zingali. Zingali plans on exposing the Soaring Sounds audience to things we have come to expect from the Cadets."

If you look at this page from SCV's homeshow program "Pacific Procession", you'll see where he wrote somthing else in 89.

BK-RS.jpg

He wrote drill for Blue Knights in 89 and 91. He actually wrote a a wonderful drill in 91 for the Blue Knights. (They had a very different marching style back then. Very Garfield-esque...IMO.)

Edited by bradrick

Thanks for the kind words, Matt & Scott. Very nice of you guys to say.

Of course, I was just along for the ride, clueless rookie and all that, but it was a great experience and I learned tons and had a lot of fun.

The end result? Oh well, stuff happens. Would have been nice to be more in the hunt though, I think we ended up like SEVENTH or something. <**>

I do agree VERY much, Matt, that you guys had drums all locked up in 89...nobody was even in the same league as you guys that year imho. But that's okay, I've been arguing with the guys on this site who all think that judges never make mistakes. :blink:

Great talking to you guys, it's been a while (me and Matt actually marched together in college, Hannum's line, which I'm told was kinda like Garfield lite. :beer: ).

I'm pretty sure he wrote drill for the Cadets in 88 - but I wasn't sure if he wrote 89. I thought that was Sylvester. So I went to my file full of programs from my drum corps years. And here's what it says from the 1989 Centerville, Ohio program:

"The Cadets of Bergen County hope to take tonight's Soaring Sounds audience by storm with their non literal interpretation, utilizing the always-innovative choreography of George Zingali. Zingali plans on exposing the Soaring Sounds audience to things we have come to expect from the Cadets."

If you look at this page, you'll see where he wrote somthing else in 89.

BK-RS.jpg

He wrote drill for Blue Knights in 89 and 91. He actually wrote a a wonderful drill in 91 for the Blue Knights. (They had a very different marching style back then. Very Garfield-esque...IMO.)

Thanks Brad...BK really had a primo design team there for a few years with Jimmer and George.

Can you imagine today if you had Hannum, Jimmer, Donnie VanD, Sylvester, April G, Cesario, and Klesch back together again? It would be RIDICULOUS!!!!

For an all-star group, you'd have to add in Gino, Float, McNutt, Crosby, Neil Larrivee, Joe Roche, and a few other characters.

DCI would'nt know what hit 'em!

Oh and yes...Zingali's last year was 88, but he came back a few times in 89 and 90 to consult...a GREAT memory!

And for anyone that doesn't know, Dave H was a snare drummer in BD 90, as well as the Sancians from Massachusetts. A GREAT player with a killer touch, as well as SSMRR (aka Scott Clark the Mad Dog, married to Sue, who also marched 87-92, as well as the 27th Lancer Cadets), who was one of the longest running Cadet snare drummers in recent history, with a left hand like a jackhammer!

Props to you guys for being parts of legendary programs!

Man, there are some great folks on here!

Edited by Cadetsnare

I liked that show and I think the Intro was one of the best if not the best ever.

By the way Peewee I do not think much of the music being put on the field today is really that difficult or more difficult going back as far as the mid 80's.

Gotta tell ya...I was at Cadets rehearsal yesterday (and Crown)...

And Cadets book is the single most demanding show I've ever heard (and I go back to DCI I).

Well, I was there. The drum book is still, without a doubt, one of the hippest drum books ever, and the numbers finals week didn't line up with the rest of the season. We were getting 14.8s and several 14.9s 2 weeks before finals, and we were simply destroying everyone in drums up to the week of finals. What happened? I don't know. W certainly played our tails off finals week, and the numbers didn't reflect it. It's okay...at least people remember that year as being a benchmark year for percussion!

I can tell you that the horn score was based off of GE and emotion, and that the technical aspect of the book people hear on the video is because the book was hosed down to the nub. That was NOT a strong hornline, but they definitely did play emotionally...it came across for sure.

I think it could be done, but it would have to be written in a fashion that would display more technical brilliance. I think Jay Bocook could make it work, if anyone could!

The Bassline was unbelievable.