1989 Cadets

And for anyone that doesn't know, Dave H was a snare drummer in BD 90, as well as the Sancians from Massachusetts. A GREAT player with a killer touch, as well as SSMRR (aka Scott Clark the Mad Dog, married to Sue, who also marched 87-92, as well as the 27th Lancer Cadets), who was one of the longest running Cadet snare drummers in recent history, with a left hand like a jackhammer!

Props to you guys for being parts of legendary programs!

Man, there are some great folks on here!

Oh, and BTW...Bullethead (which I was the ORIGINAL Bullethead, thank you..) is Clark Gardner, center snare for Star 93, and long-running snare slug in the Sky Ryders....another mean mother-fu**er in the halls of DCI History!

Thanks, Matt...quite a compliment! Coming from another snare legend who personifies the word "intensity" in classic east coast fashion! Matt goes way back too (thanks for remembering my old Sancians by the way, I thought everyone forgot us by now lol), and most likely taught little Nicky Angelis how to play his first flam back in the old NH Spartans. :satisfied:

Yeah, this is turning into a who's who of DCI snare drum greats...Clark, nice to meet ya! Heard a lot about you as well from the UMass crew, and man your 93 line was something else wasn't it!? Amazing attention to detail, and tonsa talent there too.

Fun to reminisce here, so many years later...me and Matt had a cool little rivalry going on back in the day, being probably the most experienced guys in the line at the time (other soon to be superstars included Rudy Gowern, Eric Vargo, and of course Colin McNutt..and some other great guys as well). That was one hell of a college line...and a GREAT experience for me, coming form BD...talk about a well rounded education. :D

How many of you guys are still drumming anyway? Anyone interested in gigs in Tokyo (rudimental and/or other stuff, we do it all) should definitely keep in touch...we get some opportunities now and then that call for a high level of chops, and I think the dudes writting on here are pretty much OVERqualified. B)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Dave,

I'm still drumming a lot...trying not to get "age-out hands" too badly! I spent some weeks on the road with the Colts this year. Tyler Dempsey's the caption head (an old student of mine from the Bluecoats, and a great guy, as well), and took some time off this summer, so I stepped in and helped out. Got my Master's in percussion and electric/acoustic bass performance, so I'm playing bass a bunch, as well. I'm also writing for the UMass marimba band. They're featured on the Vic Firth site quite often.

Anyway, back to 89!

Somewhere, in a box behind me (my office is built onto the garage), I have the scores to that show. If I can find it, I'd be glad to let anyone who wanted a copy have one. No computer, no Virtual Drumline....just a bunch of pages black with notes! Fun sightreading...NOT!

I remember a point in the season in Bloomington at DCI-Mid America; we actually won the show, but we had 6 or 7 tenths of a penalty bacause the show was over 14 minutes long!!! We were WAAAAYYYYY overtime! The competition was stacked pretty tight, as I recall, with the top 5 corps scoring about a tenth or two apart! Anyway, we "won" the show, but ended up in 4th or 5th due to the penalty. Needless to say, the cuts were in over the next couple of days!

I remember Larry Cauley (former Bridgemen, 27th, current 89 BD snare drummer) coming and watching the warmup....when was the last time before then that a guy from BD came to a Cadets lot warmup?? He was so gracious and genuine. That really stuck with me...no egos, no rivalry. Just a great-hearted guy who was very complimentary. He probably wouldn't remember, but it meant a lot to me to have him checking us out.

Anyway, back to 89!

Somewhere, in a box behind me (my office is built onto the garage), I have the scores to that show. If I can find it, I'd be glad to let anyone who wanted a copy have one. No computer, no Virtual Drumline....just a bunch of pages black with notes! Fun sightreading...NOT!

I remember a point in the season in Bloomington at DCI-Mid America; we actually won the show, but we had 6 or 7 tenths of a penalty bacause the show was over 14 minutes long!!! We were WAAAAYYYYY overtime! The competition was stacked pretty tight, as I recall, with the top 5 corps scoring about a tenth or two apart! Anyway, we "won" the show, but ended up in 4th or 5th due to the penalty. Needless to say, the cuts were in over the next couple of days!

I remember Larry Cauley (former Bridgemen, 27th, current 89 BD snare drummer) coming and watching the warmup....when was the last time before then that a guy from BD came to a Cadets lot warmup?? He was so gracious and genuine. That really stuck with me...no egos, no rivalry. Just a great-hearted guy who was very complimentary. He probably wouldn't remember, but it meant a lot to me to have him checking us out.

I would LOVE to check that stuff out.

You mean Larry Cohen, right? Another true legend...little 14 year old on the end of the EIGHTY-THREE BRIDGEMEN line. Unreal.

I don't know about 89, but in 90 we checked out warmups all the time. Usually SC or Phantom (kinda sorta an "anti-cavies" hype :P). I definitely woulda checked you guys out, but we didn't really see each other much that year...plus in all the years I remember the Cadets are like the HARDEST line to find. Do you guys go and hide or something?

I think I got lucky in KC in 89, you guys were right nearby and I checked out your Thursday warm-up...it was a TRIP!

Dave,

PM me your mailing address, and I'll see if I can dig that stuff out.

Also, yeah, we tried to go a good distance for warmups, usually, as I recall. Don't know why!

Yes, I ment Larry Cohen..my bad! I remember those glasses following him through the different corps he marched in. He was instantly recognizable!

I think the only time we saw you guys in 90 was at Endicott NY before finals. Bummah!

I'll go digging through my stuff today to see what other little "gems" I can find!

I would LOVE to check that stuff out.

You mean Larry Cohen, right? Another true legend...little 14 year old on the end of the EIGHTY-THREE BRIDGEMEN line. Unreal.

Larry marched in Bayonne starting in 83, went to 27th, then went to Star for 86-87 and then ended up with BD in 88-89. He played in some killer lines.

Yeah, I know .... Billy Joel is so sophisticated. :doh:

LOL... I swear that's the same exact thought when reading the assertion that musical scores are no longer difficult enough for drum corps. I suppose one could argue that, based on Cavies scores thus far, Billy Joel translated fairly well, but I have to be honest, I'm still scratching my head wondering what the Cavies were thinking, but that's another topic. I absolutely love everything about 1989 Cadets.

I still remember waking up in my hotel room at Allentown in 89 to find Dave Rouley(sp) raiding my room for clothes a pillow and a comforter. He took 89 off and got dragged back in that weekend. I think he was in the show 3 shows later.

Does that kind of stuff still happen today.

89 is probably my favorite Cadet show.

I have seen some written snare parts for the '89 Cadets (Thanks to Matt who teched me in Bluecoats) and they were pretty meaty. I especially loved the paradiddle sixtuplet section, if that makes any sense to you guys :)

I love the Cadet's Les Mis show. Gets me every time.

Speaking of Larry - recognize anyone from this pic? :

174364437_3d0ccdd82f.jpg

Edited by RickCogley