1983 Cadets!

So...i was listening to the 1983 Cadets, which i haven't done so in many, many years and can't help but reminisce how awesome it was. A groundbreaking show to say the least. It still holds the test of time 24 years later. I encourage all newbies out there to check it out if they haven't done so already!

Agreed.

Another show from that time period that harkens to era just BEFORE is the 1982 Defenders.

So many of the typical elements in a DCI show of the late 70's and early 80's are present in that one show that it really takes me back to the shows of my youth.

Agreed. It is a wonderful show.

I still advise young people/newcomers to listen to 80 Garfield and then 82. Huge leap in talent and show design; you'd be hard pressed to find any other corps that evolved so quickly and completely. From there, look at/listen to 83 and 84.

Whoa.

:laugh:

Karen

Agreed. It is a wonderful show.

I still advise young people/newcomers to listen to 80 Garfield and then 82. Huge leap in talent and show design; you'd be hard pressed to find any other corps that evolved so quickly and completely. From there, look at/listen to 83 and 84.

Whoa.

:laugh:

Karen

Just listen to every show of theirs during the 80s. 1980 is good low-finalist drum corps with good solos, 81 was a great leap forward for their honline, and 82 started the revolution. 83 was they year they put it on the field and won with it, 84 was cutting-edge, and 85 is the greatest show of the decade. They managed to do something remarkable every year that decade, IMHO.

One of my favorites of all time. Still awesome to stick in the CD or DVD player.

I agree but I would like you to think about going back to 79. I've listened to the progression of music from 79-82 and one can see the transformations of the Garfield sound to Rocky Point. The sound quality, phrasings, styles, tempos. I mean look at Adventures in time. How ground breaking was that? The driving tempo certainly was a good start to what the Cadets have become.

I still love Pieces of Dreams tho. I wish somehow they would do a throwback to that at the end of one of their shows in the future.

that's the show they showed in the theater as their "let's go back in history with the Cadets" piece before....well.....lol

It was nice to see a bit of that show again!

So...i was listening to the 1983 Cadets, which i haven't done so in many, many years and can't help but reminisce how awesome it was. A groundbreaking show to say the least. It still holds the test of time 24 years later. I encourage all newbies out there to check it out if they haven't done so already!

What's kind of amazing (and in some ways sad) is that I can vividly remember '83 Garfield music and drill; as well as many other shows of that ea both musically and visually ('80 SCV; '80 27th; '84 Suncoast; '85 Garfield; '80 , 81 & '82 Bridgemen; '86 Blue Devils; '91 & '93 Star Of Indiana' 95 Cavaliers......I could go on and on..... BUT.......

Ask me how many shows I can vividy (key word -- VIVIDLY) remember over the past five years, and I can only name two or three!!!!!

"Sigh"...... :blink: What happened?!?!?!?!?!

I was totally amazed watching the cadets in the orange bowl in 1983. They had the crowd in their hands from the beginning to the infamous z-pull, to the crowd chanting in unison "East, East, East". What a spine tingling moment watching the first of garfields many championships..!