New Capital Brass! brass ensemble pic!

BTW:

we have a lot of threads on here ... BECAUSE WE HAVE A LOT GOING ON!

Seems like that might be GOOD for the activity!

It's NOT hype..... IT'S MARKETING!

we say what we're gonna do... we do it ... we demonstrate that we did it

No one's saying we're better than anybody else....., or that we can beat anyone else.

Just trying to get the word out about (what we think is) an exciting project for players in Albany.

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I missed the action here...all the posts have been edited...Hmmmmm.

Way to go Tom. As a former Garfield Cadet, I am all for innovation! (not sure I am ready for a trombone yet...but, just kidding...not flaming!)....At least it is not a saxaphone!

Everyone just needs to chill.

Who can remember marching tympani and when the front pit was created?

Who can remember when the show started from somewhere other than the goal line?

Who can remember the Valve-rotor to single valve to two-valve to three valve changes? Some even call it evlolution.

What about Bb horns?

All of these things started with one group taking the leap of faith!

I can attest that Tom has done everything he has listed here! Check out the documentary...it is realy cool.

Tom, cant wait to catch your act at the track...whens the next show?

Later,

Art

Looks like I missed the action here...all the posts have been edited...Hmmmmm.

Way to go Tom. As a former Garfield Cadet, I am all for innovation! (not sure I am ready for a trombone yet...but, just kidding...not flaming!)....At least it is not a saxaphone!

Everyone just needs to chill.

Who can remember marching tympani and when the front pit was created?

Who can remember when the show started from somewhere other than the goal line?

Who can remember the Valve-rotor to single valve to two-valve to three valve changes? Some even call it evlolution.

What about Bb horns?

All of these things started with one group taking the leap of faith!

I can attest that Tom has done everything he has listed here! Check out the documentary...it is realy cool.

Tom, cant wait to catch your act at the track...whens the next show?

Later,

Art

Thanks Art.

I realized that my long speech was really just an answer to one person and so, when he deleted his comments, I did the same.

Please understand - I am NOT suggesting that the drum corps activity accept valve trombones. It was a temporary answer for us, so that we could use a very good player, while I procured another horn.

But, the new brass ensemble won't be restricted by any rules (accept when and IF we go to competitions). Dave and I just had a long discussion this morning about how we are going to cover bass trombone parts that are too low for a bari or marching euph.... we may have to add an Eb Tuba in the fall to properly cover some of the charts we want to do... already have a player ready to take that spot too!

thanks for the kind comments.

We will be appearing again at the track:

August 12th, 19th, 26th - CB!

August 25th - BOM!

booked for 6 total appearances this year!

Edited by brassomaniac

Nice job today at the track guys. Thanks for the tremendous effort... it's really starting to gel.

The great crowd response for the last set was as good as I've ever gotten in the 14 years I've played at the track.

The crowd just ATE UP Nightengale, Batman, Peter Gunn, Hey Pachuco and Get it On.

One of the VP's of NYRA approached us after we played the National Anthem and wanted to know where we came from and who booked us! He was full of accolades for the group. This, at an event LOADED with professional music acts!!!!!

I'm not saying it's quite THERE yet; but come and check out our 3 entries at DCA Brass Ensemble and Mini-corps competition: and see why we are on the road to bringing EXCITING, DYNAMIC DRUM CORPS BACK TO ALBANY, NY!!

Planning BIG things for 2008 ....... Don't miss out: seats WILL be limited!!

Edited by brassomaniac

I love the "uniforms"!!! I wish we wore something along those lines instead of a traditional drum corps uni. Very nice!

thanks!

I know it's not much of a uniform, but members have to buy thier own, and so we patched together something easy to get and inexpensive... As is turns out, spectators have really liked the look, and it's comfortable to perform in as well.

In preparation for Rochester, we had most of the mini-corps on hand for our "brass ensemble" gig at the track yesterday (19 horns, 3 drums).

It was our best effort yet, with several of our "extra" tunes, like "Peter Gunn", "Late in the Evening" and "Batman" starting to become real crowd pleasers.

For Saturday, in the Ballston Spa parade, we had run into a problem with most of the corps out of town, and only 7 players available to perform with the Mardi Gras Ensemble.

But, we added 5 new players for the gig and rehearsed the material, curb-side, before the parade. By the time we hit the street, we had everyone acclimated to the book. And by the end, we were even improvising a head chart of Chameleon!

Nice job guys!

Edited by brassomaniac

Finished up a successful series of 1-1/2 hour concerts at the Saratoga Race Track today.

The corps just got stronger every week. Great Job! ... And, thanks!... to everyone who helped us to pull off this pretty big accomplishment in such a short time.

The adminstration at the track was VERY pleased with us, and has already talked with me about a return engagement for 2008!

Let's see... where ARE we?

Reorganize CB! as a brass ensemble for Fall '06 ...... check

Produce mini-corps for Spring '07 ...... check

Create strolling version of CB! for parades ...... check

Perform in National I&E and Mini-corps events ...... check

Produce "Birth of a Mini-corps" Documentary ....... check

DCI performance debut ...... check

series of appearances alongside pro acts at the Saratoga Race Track ....... check

now: on to DCA Championships - Labor Day Weekend

then: the CB! Alumni All-stars on 9/9

Not a bad first year so far!

Edited by brassomaniac

So how are we going to top all this Tom?

I can't wait to see what you have planned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ,

This year saw some glitches and hiccups. We all learned some things about what was possible; and what our limitations were. ... And, we learned how to make some adjustments to the plan, as we encountered both roadblocks AND opportunities.

Don't get me wrong... there's still a long way to go, performance-wise... But, all in all, I think that our players did a remarkable job of helping us to shape a credible ensemble, for a first year program - especially considering the big mix of backgrounds and scheduling conflicts that we dealt with this year... The group is definately all I had expected it to be, and more.

I could not be MORE PROUD of the way you all stepped it up to fulfill the promises we made for the track gigs.

It'll be interesting to see how we fit in, at Rochester. But, I'm pretty confident that we won't suck!! :ph34r:

We need to sit down and talk about where we're going in `08. But, certainly, I'm looking to have a faster start; a higher performance level; some great, fun venues; and an exceptional experience for some talented players in Albany!

I only hope that we can pick up a few more great members like yourself.

Edited by brassomaniac