Weighted Flag Poles

Meaghatron

I'd be afraid the clear poles would break if you put bolts in them. they are pretty flimsy. I wouldn't recommend using them at all... one of the schools I teach used them one of the years I was gone, when I came back they wanted to use them again and they couldn't withstand large amounts of work.

They could do well in a ballad perhaps....

Just my two cents.

I wondered that about the clear poles. I've never used them, and also wonder exactly what the purpose of them is? All i can think of is to put a glow stick inside the pole, but when is it ever dark enough under lights to really see that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For winterguard a few years back, we half filled the clear poles with blue coloured water. It weights it weird but it created a neat effect because depending on what the work was, the pole would be clear and times and blue at others. The poles we were using weren't the greatest quality though and every once in a while when someoen would drop, you would hear that painful sound of it smashing and coloured water just splashing everywhere lol.

• 2 months later...

how do you keep the bolts from rattling around inside the pole?

Some wrap a bit of tape around the long part of the bolt.. I suggest wrapping the long part with cotton balls and taping around them to keep the cotton secure. That makes them almost completely silent. Also, if your crutch tips are broken at all then the top round part of the bolt might rattle, so make sure your crutch tips are intact.

We use weatherstripping that is sticky on one side. I think we use 3/8". Cut 2 strips the length of the bolt, and stick it on. Squeeze it in your hand to depress it so you can push it into the pole. push it into the pole quickly before it expands, and you're done. It's very lightweight, so it doesnt' add any other weight to the pole.

Nice and quiet!

Our bolts just... don't rattle. I'm not completely sure as to why, but I would make sure that the bolt fits very securely into the stopper, so that it can't move around a lot. We also, when putting the flags together, put the bolt in the stopper and then put the stopper on the pole (as opposed to bolt on pole and then stopper on pole).

o'kay - i'm going to sound REALLY thick here but I'm not completely getting it.

Is the bolt actually bolted to anything (like the crutch stopper?).. is it loose.. or do you use something (weather-stripping ect.) to wedge so it doesn't move?

I'm sorry.. this must be frustrating for some of you.

o'kay - i'm going to sound REALLY thick here but I'm not completely getting it.

Is the bolt actually bolted to anything (like the crutch stopper?).. is it loose.. or do you use something (weather-stripping ect.) to wedge so it doesn't move?

I'm sorry.. this must be frustrating for some of you.

no it's just taped down really good....and usually the stopper is coated in tape...lol

While on the subject of bolts... Anyone know of a place online that I can order the correct bolts in bulk? I've searched around, but some sites look shady. Let me know where I can find this stuff!

Thanks!

i just go to home depot and but a full box from there... they usually have the boxes behind the loose ones..