Cavies Percussion

I'm a brass guy, but looking at the Cavies' percussion scores from tonight, I wonder, in a technical sense, why they aren't doing so hot. Any percussion people want to enlighten me?

And no, I'm not suggesting poor judging.

Probably still getting used to Jim Cassella's (Former SCV Percussion Caption Head) west coast style of drumming. IE: Titled snares, pearl drums, different technique in the hands. Plus his writing is different. Give em a few years they will get used to it up in Illinois.

Oh, and they're just plain dirty this year.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that much, if any of the percussion section was there pre-Cassella, so there isn't anything to get used to - not that it would even be an issue at that level anyway.

Pearl drums...?

Agreed. Good drummers are good drummers.

Why do you think they did so good last 3 or 4 years...

everyone aged out last year

except their bassline [ all age outs this year ]

is absolutely amazing

Agreed. Good drummers are good drummers.

I must have assumed that Cavies were using Pearls cause Cassella is endorsed by them. I actually do not know what theyre using, Im just to lazy to look it up.

I agree good drummers are good drummers, but there is a definite difference in styles of drumming in the mid-west and in the west coast, particularly with Cassella's unique technique which was taught at Vanguard the last 5 or so years.

Drummers are drummers, yes, but a huge stylistic change to a drumline which Im gonna guess is more mid-west folks than California folks can kinda throw you off kilter.

Im just giving them the benefit of the doubt, sayin, "hey give em a break they've got new technique". Im sure there could be other issues holding their line back.

I don't think they are doing anything bad. Everyone else is just as great.

In my opinion though. They are playing a lot of notes and a lot of things at high sticks heights. It could be a bit of the musical thickness in the book and it could be a bit of over-hyping the music.

Why do you think they did so good last 3 or 4 years...

everyone aged out last year

except their bassline [ all age outs this year ]

is absolutely amazing

I know that the center tenor player from last year and the year before didn't march this year because he didn't like the changes that happened. He jumped into an open tenor spot for the Bluecoats midseason this year.