Troopers Bad Luck

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I don’t think that DCI has it out for Troop. And yet, what the HELL IS GOING ON?

1. The corps is penalized in seeding for doing a full tour while those who took a weekend or two off get a boost via math.

2. The corps takes the biggest show-to-regional drop of the season, losing over five points going into Denver.

3. The corps is within .2 of Cascades at TWO SHOWS the weekend before Finals, has their best show of the season at Quarters, AND DROPS OVER THREE POINTS. (And don’t tell me that they obviously didn’t have their best show on Thursday. I was the last three shows. Thursday WAS the best.)

There’s always an explanation. There’s always a reason. But still, WTF? I challenge you to give me an example of another corps in open class that has had worse luck when it came to scores. I’m serious.

One week before Semis Blue Stars beat Spirit by almost two points, and lost to them by over a point at Semis. There was very little consistency from judging pannels this summer, and not just with Troop.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They should determine the performance groupings the way they determined the order this year and then randomly draw the order in groups of 6 corps. ie..

BD, Cadets, Cavies, Bluecoats, Phantom Crown - 1st group

SCV, BK, Boston, Colts Glassmen, Spirit - Second Group

Academy, B Stars, Crossmen, Madison, PC, Cascades, - third group

Southwind, Mandarins, Troopers, Pioneer - fourth Group

I agree except that I believe that performance order at quarter-finals should be totally random. Drum corps is like hockey in that the regular season is meaningless. In hockey, if you win the Stanley cup, you win the Stanley cup. The regular season record doesn't count. If DCI finals is totally separate from "the tour," then there is no reason why one corps or another gets a later time slot. The only downside is that it might force followers of the "upper tier" to show up earlier to see their corps perform. I think that's pain the activity can live with.

If you want to compete regionally-join Division II/III!!!
I never will understand those who take the position that having fewer Division I corps would be better for the activity.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I don’t think that DCI has it out for Troop. And yet, what the HELL IS GOING ON?

1. The corps is penalized in seeding for doing a full tour while those who took a weekend or two off get a boost via math.

2. The corps takes the biggest show-to-regional drop of the season, losing over five points going into Denver.

3. The corps is within .2 of Cascades at TWO SHOWS the weekend before Finals, has their best show of the season at Quarters, AND DROPS OVER THREE POINTS. (And don’t tell me that they obviously didn’t have their best show on Thursday. I was the last three shows. Thursday WAS the best.)

There’s always an explanation. There’s always a reason. But still, WTF? I challenge you to give me an example of another corps in open class that has had worse luck when it came to scores. I’m serious.

Phantom 1992 had some similar "issues' with scores dropping at worlds. They were close (if not beating) Cadets the Sunday before finals. On Saturday Cadets were 2nd and Phantom was 8th (I think 8th). I'm not saying the placements were wrong. Just that PR92 is similar to Troop07.

I never will understand those who take the position that having fewer Division I corps would be better for the activity.

Dude,

You missed the frickin point here......I am not suggesting that DCI would be more successful with fewer Division I corps. What I am saying is that if a corps competes regionally then they should compete at a Division II/III level. I am all for Division I corps.....I sat through years of Division I (Open) shows at Whitewater, Allentown, and Madison and loved every minute of it. This activity needs all of the Division I corps it can get its hands on. I can't wait for VK, Capital and Magic to rejoin the ranks of Division I. On that note, please reread my post in regard to the subject of the origial topic.