95.4 Really?

Yeah. Walking out the tunnel as Phantom ageouts were gathering to enter the field, people were going out of their way to thank them and praise them for the fire in their bellies last night, and they were just glowing. That's what makes it worthwhile, as a performer and a competitor... if people love and remember your performance. If they took that glow back to the bus and shared it, you'll see them rock the house again tonight.

A ring/medal is nice, but in my opinion, a standing ovation from 40,000 as your corp's score is announced is MUCH more gratifying. I'll take the approval of 40,000 over 9 any day of the year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. As I'm sure you noticed that I didn't agree with the "screwed" comment either.... In fact, my question was intended to clarify whether this term was the main reason you thought he was a whiner and not because he voiced an opinion that Regiment might have been underscored. (Which I took as an echo of what you said--from the opposite perspective--in your post.) I asked this not out of sarcasm, but more... doubtfulness.

Yes, I did see that you clarified your statement with "unless," but I took it as more of a backhanded compliment or caveat. If your sentiment was genuine then, of course, I will recant.

Well, if you are going to label those who thought Phantom was scored correctly, or possibly too high a "hater" (not that you personally did), then I think it is fair to call those crying foul a "whiner".

Well, if you are going to label those who thought Phantom was scored correctly, or possibly too high a "hater" (not that you personally did), then I think it is fair to call those crying foul a "whiner".

In a way, that's kinda what I was referring too, but from the other perspective. (Honestly, I don't have an opinion as to their scoring or placement--haven't been able to see anyone live this year...It's more that I'm an alumnus, they're my favorite corps, and this kind of thing tends to stick in my craw.) I've seen this from both sides of the fence--Regiment fans ###### because they think the corps was underscored, other fans who are either ###### because they think Regiment scored too high or their favorite corps was unjustly scored too low. It doesn't really matter to me what either camp thinks (all opinions, biases, etc) but more that I don't think it's fair that it's "okay" to say Corps X didn't get due credit, but then say fans of Corps Y are homers/haters/honks/whiners, etc. for basically saying the same thing. Believe me, I get as much "tired head" ($1 to The Ticket) hearing "we got screwed" or so and so "got a gift," etc. It's annoying and gets old. But, if some people are going to get called out on this, then everyone should.

This stuff almost always seems to fall along party lines. Not surprising, I suppose; human nature. (My wife's sociology degree must be rubbing off.) It's always the same crap, from practically every fan base out there--when "they" complain, it's "whining" but when "we" do--hey, it's the "truth!"

Anyway, this is all beside the real point of this weekend: to enjoy some kick ### drum corps. So, as I usually try to do, I'll do my best to keep my atttention on that.

There were a couple of insightful comments on this board that I wanted to second.

First, I also thought Phantom was really great last night and thought they might pass Cavies. I care about the competitioin thing a little but care much more about enjoying what is in front of me. Every year I just seem to enjoy Phantom's choices. I generally buy the music after hearing them play it, although I already have the Philip Glass piece.

Second, I think the 1-3 placing corps this year are not as good in the years past but believe the 4-22 are much better than they have ever been. 4-8 is particularly great.

Overall, it has been a fun year to watch. In previous years I could go to a show and maybe only enjoy 3 corps from maybe 6-7 that perform at a show. This year, I have generally enjoyed all of the corps shows. For the most part the designers have really stepped up in terms of design and the performers are exceptional.

I could give a crap who wins but overall it has been a good season from my perspective.

I completley agree about 4-8. :unsure::worthy: To me, and I've only seen one contest live this year (DATR) everything else on the webcast, Those 5 Corps have had by far the most entertaining shows in the Top 12. Last night, I was in awe of Santa Clara. Where that performance came from....I don't care, I just hope they do that again tonight.

Crown was a blast to watch last night on the webcast. The end of the show was HILARIOUS! I was laughing the whole time. Just great. Bluecoats....Seems this happened last year too. Just didn't have their heads in it I think.

I love what the Blue Knight do with Shostakovich. So dark and intense. Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but they do it very well.

And then theres' Phantom. WHAT a show! What a performance last night. I honestly think if they were just a little cleaner visually, they'd be right there. I don't think they got hosed last night, but I do think Cavies got a gift last night. Regardless, Phantom had the Performance of the Night in the Semis. They left it on the field and the crowd let them know it. The Wedge and Leg Kick Out had me screaming at the end. My girlfriend looked at me like I had lost my mind. :blink:

Edited by jimwolf359