Three Lessons for THE ACADEMY Fans

Why does it matter to you so deeply whether some people like a particular corps or not that you feel you have to write a diatribe to attempt to "put them in their place"?

Here's 3 lessons for you.

1. Get a life.

2. Different strokes for different folks.

3. Lighten up.

I think most Academy honks weren't too far off in feeling that the corps was finals quality. Their score and the tight competition at that level all year attests to that. I'm as much an Academy fan as anyone because I like how they approach drum corps. But, personally, I think Blue Stars were better that night. Que sera. It's all good.

HONK! HONK!

Last year in Madison, I sat near a large group of Academy fans/boosters/parents who were giddy over their corps Division II championship. "Good for them," I thought. They had every right to enjoy their accomplishment. However... they soon started picking off all the Div. I corps that they were positive they could beat that day, and, surprise - their 2006 program would "definately be in Finals!"

My friends and I gave them a pass on their rookie ignornace. We held our tongues and just shook our heads at their naivete.

Fastforward now to June 2007. This forum was filled with such things as, "Academy is a finalist FOR SURE!" "No lower than 9th or 10th place!!" And when I kindly posted that the Honks should maybe tone it down a little - I was blasted as a "HATER!!" Typical.

So I thought, in order to reach out and be a uniter (not a divider), I would offer Three important lessons that you, The Academy fan could build on for next year.

LESSON 1 - It's very hard to break into the Top 12. You are no longer a full D-I corps competing in D-II. Everybody here is as big and good as you are. Many are better.

LESSON 2 - Finals are in August, not June. Corps design their show to peak in the 8th week of the season, not the 5th.

LESSON 3 - Everybody else is going to get better next year. Blue Stars will be better. Madison will be better. Crossmen, Spirit, Troopers, Glassmen, Colts - everybody's going to get better next year. So when you start your predictions, show a little respect.

BONUS... LESSON 4 - This one is for the rest of us. I believe 2007 has given us the BEST field of corps, top to bottom, that I can ever remember. Especially #9 - 22. And you know what I think? I think The Academy had A LOT to do with that! Everybody saw who you were last season and knew how good you were. So I think the debut of Academy into Division I, MADE EVERYBODY ELSE STEP IT UP A NOTCH!! Funny how competition works.

Well, I hope this was able to help a little and will serve as a guide for all you Academy Honks for 2008. Congratulations to The Academy. 13th place is a remarkable acievement for the entire organization. I look forward to seeing them again next year - and offering you Honks more of my kind, nuturing words of instruction.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windbag?!? I thought the post was well written and to the point. But since you've expressed concern, I'll have my sister in law, the English teacher, check it out first thing tomorrow morning.

I hold no ill will toward anyone. Humble servant that I am, I have taken the burden upon myself to help educate Academy's fans as to how they should act in Division I. I know that someday, they will thank me.

Forget the English teacher. If you first concentrate on the sanctimonious problem the windbag problem will take care of itself.

-kg

I've been lurking on these boards for some time, but only recently felt compelled to post because of comments such as the first post of this thread. The Academy may be new to D1, but Arizona is not. We've been sending kids to the best corps around the country for years, and if not for the extreme July and August temperatures, I would imagine Phoenix could easily support a regional championship on par with Denver. Anyone who was at the Tempe show knows the stands were packed in spite of 103 temps to start the show, and virtually no one left in spite of a 40-minute rain delay.

I've personally been a DCI fan since 1983, and although personal circumstances prevented me from marching, many of my friends marched at the highest levels. Some of them even went on to instruct, such as the all-Arizona percussion instruction team for the Blue Knights in the late 80s.

Sit next to parents of any corps, of any competitive high school marching band, of any sports team at any level -- any competitive venture of any kind -- and you're bound to hear those comments. Those kind of comments aren't any more egregious because they came from members of the new corps on the block, nor are they any more acceptable if made by members/parents of the most tradition-rich corps. It's just a sign of competitiveness, and good for anyone who supports their corps.

Having lurked for awhile I've seen a few people who felt the need to put Academy fans "in their place." I'm not offended, but I don't find those posts as instructive as I see them as a form of hazing from some who appear threatened by a new corps who simply had the nerve to be competitive right out of the gate. All I would ask is for those posters to consider they don't have their finger on the pulse of the Academy as a corps, as an organization, or as a fan base. Criticism like that on a board like this should probably be directed at individuals at not under an all-consuming, all-defining banner.

Windbag?!? I thought the post was well written and to the point. But since you've expressed concern, I'll have my sister in law, the English teacher, check it out first thing tomorrow morning.

I hold no ill will toward anyone. Humble servant that I am, I have taken the burden upon myself to help educate Academy's fans as to how they should act in Division I. I know that someday, they will thank me.

Skip the English lesson. Sanctimony and condescension don't rely on proper grammar or spelling. They are a style of communication, and unfortunately, your opening post has plenty of both. You want to put a certain group of people in their place? Fine. But don't act shocked that some folks called you on it.

Edited by byline

The Academy should be a poster boy for all new and upcoming organizations. They're taking it one step at a time, in a timely manner, and to place 13th in their inaugural year as a division I corps is quite an accomplishment.

Bravo to all the folks on and off the field in Arizona.

As I said last spring regarding Academy's shot at finals:

I think Academy has a problem on their hands right now: outsized expectations on the part of the drum corps community. People need to remember how young this corps still is. Winning Div II their first year at full competitive level was just incredible, but I'm concerned that they've been marked as the Star of Indiana for the new millennium. It's a top-notch organization, but trust me when I say they don't have some anonymous billionaire sugar daddy. There's some growth that the organization has to achieve--fundraising, membership, getting the rookies trained up, among other things--before we see them do in Div I what they did in Div II, and I think it's a bit premature to see that in 2007. Most of all, I think their drill and marching have to hit another level to compete with the likes of Spirit, Glassmen, and Crossmen. Realistically, I think they'll be a solid semifinalist this year. But look out in 2009 or 2010...

Look, Ma--I'm a prophet! :P The Academy isn't Star of Indiana, and I really wish people would stop thinking of them as such--or worse, that they're suddenly not all that since they didn't break into the Top 12. Actually, forget Star; how many corps come anywhere close to striking distance of finals their first year in Div I?

Folks, Academy is on the right path. Take a look at the recaps; if they just continue to stay the course on the horn line and drum line and fix the problems with the guard, they'll make finals, and soon. If Spirit and Glassmen aren't concerned, they should be, and soon.

Bottom line: Academy had a terrific 2007, and has absolutely no reason to be ashamed of or disappointed.

As I said last spring regarding Academy's shot at finals:

Look, Ma--I'm a prophet! :P The Academy isn't Star of Indiana, and I really wish people would stop thinking of them as such--or worse, that they're suddenly not all that since they didn't break into the Top 12. Actually, forget Star; how many corps come anywhere close to striking distance of finals their first year in Div I?

Folks, Academy is on the right path. Take a look at the recaps; if they just continue to stay the course on the horn line and drum line and fix the problems with the guard, they'll make finals, and soon. If Spirit and Glassmen aren't concerned, they should be, and soon.

Bottom line: Academy had a terrific 2007, and has absolutely no reason to be ashamed of or disappointed.

Brilliant post. If the guard had more experience, they could've put out a more challenging routine and dramatically improved their score. Don't know if that would've made up a whole point, but it would've been a tighter race for No. 12.

And, yep, Star started with a seven-figure donation. Bill even drove the bus the first year. Academy will have to fill the bathtub with an eye dropper, but they seem to have the right plan.

Academy's achievements this year more closely resemble Spirit of Atlanta's first year than Star of Indiana's. In 1977, Spirit debuted in 23rd place . . . especially impressive, given the number of corps they were competing against. I don't remember anyone complaining that Spirit didn't make finals their first year out, and I doubt that anyone in the Academy organization is, either.

At any rate, this isn't Academy's first year of existence, correct? Just the first year they competed in Division 1. So even there, comparisons to either Spirit or Star are a bit off, since they both made their Open Class debuts in their very first year of existence. Doesn't make Academy's accomplishments any less impressive, though.

Edited by byline

Waking up this morning, I am pleased to find that I've been able to help so many people come to grips with how they feel about Academy.

You're welcome.

I have re-read my original post several times (mostly because I love the way I write) and this is what I find:

1 - It's hard to make top 12.

2 - Finals are in August, not June.

3 - Everybody's going to get better next year.

I really can't see anything negative in any one of those. In fact they're three pretty basic truths that apply all across the board.

Oh, and then there's number 4 where I actually compliment Academy's efforts and CONGRATULATE them on their achievement. Somehow people have missed that one. I know, you must be so overcome by the revelation of the first three, that the fourth one hasn't set in yet. I understand.

You will be happy to know that I am not daunted by the task laid out before me. I will continue to share my guidance and be of help to all of you wherever I can.

Best wishes for a safe and pleasant journey to all those traveling home.

Edited by DCfan76

1 - It's hard to make top 12.

2 - Finals are in August, not June.

3 - Everybody's going to get better next year.

These are solid points, if not obvious to average DCI fan. The point of contention was not what you wrote, but to who you directed your comments to and why.