Any news from Kingston NY?

Empire Statesmen – OK, this is our first opportunity to review the corps that (sans newborn children) we’d actually be in this season. We attended three camps in the winter; therefore, we have some familiarity with the book. And, we saw a LOT of familiar faces out there. So, this review may be a bit biased. Now that the proper disclaimers are out of the way…

We can sum up “Maynard Ferguson, Statesmen Style” in one word: FAN-TASTIC! And I put the hyphen in on purpose, because if you’re a drum corps fan, it’s for you. Over the last four years of being either in the crowd or on the field at Kingston, we feel certain in saying that Empire owns the crowd at Dietz Stadium. The energy level ES put out was phenomenal, and the energy the crowd returned was equally high.

All the tunes have been past corps-fan favorites, with the exception of the “Taps”, so it’s hard to say whether one actually stands out. We enjoyed the arrangement of “Maria” best, but the solo work of Joe Pero in “People” was outstanding. (How can one person play so many notes?) Of course, playing MF music absolutely requires tons of soprano/trumpet talent, and Statesmen displayed that in spades. The six guys up on the big riser at the end of the show (would’ve been seven with Jeff Gibbens missing) make quite the statement. The riser itself is an interesting device, because it features performers – both visual (with Bethany spinning the big gold flag tossed up to her) and musical – quite stunningly.

The new, younger percussion section is holding its own out there with the veteran brass line, especially during its feature in the middle of “Birdland”. The guard has a bit more work to do to match the other two sections. The guard is mostly new this year, and the talent level might not be quite as good as in prior years. There are other issues with marching, mostly in the form maintenance department. There are some inconsistencies between individual members as well. These are small, but important, things. However, they are also things that can be fixed rather easily. (It just takes an enormous amount of work.) If they get fixed, Statesmen might actually pull off an upset in Roch-cha-cha.

Dale,

Thanks for the review; nice to know the corps is doing so well.

Miss my Statesmen family...

see you guys in Roch-cha-cha

(and in 2008??) B)

Good luck to all the corps in Rochester!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich, most of the pics are up already. Look at the thread titled "Kingston pics"

Thanx to you and the guys for stopping to strike a pose for me! :)

Anything and any time for a "Kodak Moment"!!! And you got some really great shots of the entire Corps!! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

And thanks again for taking the time to take 'em!!

On behalf of the Bridgemen Drum and Bugle Corps...

Thanks to all for your great reviews! As my brother Marwan and others have said, it means a great deal to us that we're able to perform for everyone, once again, (as we turn gray, lose our hair, and put on a few lbs! :P ) AND that you take the time to include us in your reviews!

And to the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni, I must also echo Marwan's sentiments.

You are truly a CLASS act!!! :worthy:

The salute (or "present") by your honor guard, and the applause and cheers were very much appreciated by myself and the entire Bridgemen Organization! Having marched in the Cabs, myself, (and also in the Hawthorne Muchachos), I know firsthand just how classy the Cabs Organization, and its members are.

You have always set some very high standards in this wonderful activity known as drum corps!

You have reaffirmed what most of us in drum corps already know... That we are all one FAMILY.

We all share a love for drum corps, and we all recognize the important role that it has played, and continues to play in our lives. I know it sounds kind of sappy, but it's true.

Thank you for demonstrating what this activity is really all about!

And, I'd like to offer the same thanks, and appreciation to the honor guard of the Connecticut Hurricanes!

Your gesture was equally appreciated, and it demonstrated the pure CLASS that is synonymous with your great drum corps, as well!

Thanks to all, and good luck for the remainder of the season!

Jim Jordan

My wife Tammy and I took Elizabeth and Thomas to their second DCA show (one day after turning one month old), and again they were superstars. Everyone loves the twins.

Dale, I saw the twins Saturday. They're adorable! I'm 1/2 of a boy-girl two-fer and our middle names are Elizabeth and Thomas. I thought that was pretty cool. :)