Now that they're back home

I agree about the driving thing that someone mentioned. I had some running around to do today and it took me an extra 20 mins or so just because I kept missing the turnoffs because I was used to not paying attention...

After all that, I didn't know what to do, so I pulled out my trumpet and started practicing. I ended up practicing for about 5 1/2 hours and didn't realize it. I also can no longer practice sitting down, I have to be standing in DC posture.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely had to clean up the language....thankfully, my parents were very understanding about that.

I can also fall asleep in the car extremely quickly, much to the chagrin of my husband, so when we go on vacation, no matter how much sleep I've gotten the night before, I'm OUT as soon as that car starts moving.

I can take the heat much better now, which is good because the high today is supposed to be 104. I'll be hot, but I've BEEN hotter.

Like a previous poster said, I've also learned how to keep my mouth shut. If my boss yells at me for something, I can deal with it and not freak out like some of my co-workers. I've noticed that he doesn't yell quite as much.

I enjoy a good dinner of canned ravioli now and then (especially if it's raining).

many things that were very strange after coming back from my first year of corps with the '05 cadets

eating at a table while sitting in a chair seemed lavish and decadant

having meals served to me at resturants made me feel like royalty

showering alone and in a comfortable temperature was boring

jeans and a polo felt like a tux after gym shorts and no shirt all summer

so much time... endless time... unlimited time... with which I knew not what to do

my friends told me I seemed quiet, introverted, lost in my own thoughts, unusually reserved

none of my pants fit

Long time fan and active volunteer, here. Went on tour this summer for the first time, driving the truck that pulled the trailer with the ATV. Here's what I learned, and it's a biggie: I CAN DO ANYTHING! And I no longer have to be told to "just figure it out!" first.

I CAN unload my stuff, inflate an air mattress and be fast asleep in ten minutes.

I CAN make a satisfying meal of lukewarm rice, served in a plastic cup, eaten on a curb with a plastic spoon if I show up late at the food truck.

I CAN find the Super Wal-Mart in any town in America, run daily errands, and keep the money straight.

I CAN buy 80 pounds of bananas at said Wal-Mart without feeling compelled to explain to the cashier and everyone around me in the check out line.

I CAN ask to see the manager of said Wal-Mart and persuade him to override the "Limit 3" policy so I can buy 28 copies of the new Harry Potter on release day.

I CAN take a shower, including hair washing, in under two minutes if the water is cold enough.

I CAN wrap a kid twice around with duct tape to hold his uniform pants up if his zipper breaks ten minutes before warm-ups.

I CAN back a trailer around a corner without hitting anything or killing anyone.

I CAN survive any assault of flying crickets/other insects/bats so I can sit high on the bleachers, under the lights.

I CAN greet my own kid, when our paths cross, the same way I greet any of the corps kids, resisting the urge to pinch Sonny's cheeks and give him a big mama's hug and a noisy wet kiss.

I CAN cheer as loudly for other kids and other corps as I do for "my corps", even though I harbor a secret bias.

I'm an old one. Touring isn't for everyone my age, clearly, but I loved every minute of it. Hope I'll be able to do it again next year.

I CAN ask to see the manager of said Wal-Mart and persuade him to override the "Limit 3" policy so I can buy 28 copies of the new Harry Potter on release day.

I was wondering how the kids on tour were getting these.

I CAN wrap a kid twice around with duct tape to hold his uniform pants up if his zipper breaks ten minutes before warm-ups.

That's just awesome!

It's volunteers like you that keep this activity going. Thanks so much for your help and dedication! It is greatly appreciated. ^OO^

Aside from that I guess I got much more independent which I always was anyway, but it had become even more prevalent. She would offer to do something for me and I would reply, "Nah. I got it, thanks." Many years later she told me that this was almost worse than letting me go the first day of kindergarten, because almost overnight I no longer needed Mommy. She said that was rough on her.

What an enjoyable thread, and a fabulous post Cathie. Enjoyed reading it. Can identify with this one... Lost my only child to drum corps last year. Makes me proud that he does so much himself, though.

Someone in another thread was looking for ways to explain the benefits of drum corps to their township in under an hour. Maybe they can look here for inspiration.

Long time fan and active volunteer, here. Went on tour this summer for the first time, driving the truck that pulled the trailer with the ATV. Here's what I learned, and it's a biggie: I CAN DO ANYTHING! And I no longer have to be told to "just figure it out!" first.

<snip>

I'm an old one. Touring isn't for everyone my age, clearly, but I loved every minute of it. Hope I'll be able to do it again next year.

You go, Mom!! :rolleyes: Sounds like a great time!

I CAN take a shower, including hair washing, in under two minutes if the water is cold enough.

This one is especially impressive. B)

In store radio broadcasting network. I still catch myself marching down the aisles in-step to whatever is blaring over the loudspeakers!

<edit>

I still do that and I aged out in '96.

Except when I walk past Abercrombie in the mall. Just on principle, I'll break step. :P