Now that they're back home

Wearing an actual SHIRT outside! After having spent most of my summer shirtless, the hot summer weather was a breeze (comparatively). Now at band camp, the director wants me to keep my shirt on. I can't STAND IT!!! Part of me just wants to strip down...

That's drum corps for you!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eating at a table while sitting in a chair seemed lavish and decadant

I can't remember what year it was, but there was one year that a housing site I was at had picnic tables near the food truck.

Several of us got our food, went over to the picnic table, and sat on top of it with our feet on the actual seat for about 10 minutes until we realized what we were doing.

I walk faster

I eat faster

I think quick on my feet

I "figure it out"

I feel sorry for people who spent the summer at the pool or at the cottage

Later,

Mike

Being incredibly bored, and having nothing to do besides read the DCP forums all day...

Oh, and I'm still sleeping on my aero bed, since I'm staying at my sister's house until my apartment lease begins :P.

I went over to my friends house who just got back from tour with Crown....I wasn't there more than 20 minutes before they were both crashed on the floor. I have never seen these friends sleep on the floor in my life! It's so funny to see how people are adjusting after being so controlled.

I went over to my friends house who just got back from tour with Crown....I wasn't there more than 20 minutes before they were both crashed on the floor. I have never seen these friends sleep on the floor in my life! It's so funny to see how people are adjusting after being so controlled.

When I got home three things I remember about readjusting to real life:

1. Showers - I could not get used to taking showers by myself so I would ask my parents or brother or sister to come and talk to me when I was showering, (behind a curtain of course), they thought I was wierd, but it helped. Actually, to this day I still feel strange taking a shower by myself.

2. The Couch - After a summer of sitting on the dusty field, on the hard hot parking lot, concrete sidewalk, gym floor, I got to come home and sit on a big comfy couch! It was just heaven. My mom kept asking me "why are you just sitting there ?" She didn't get it when I said "mom, it's a COUCH!"

3. Best alarm clock gone - the best alarm clock was the loud buzz of the gym lights being turned on, this was a 1 minute warning that the drum major was going to start speaking into the megaphone, loudly, that it was time to get up. His loud morning voice drove me insane, so when the lights started to buzz, I would spring up wide awake so I wouldn't have to be shocked by the drum major's voice. Since then my life has been a long never ending story of snooze buttons!! Anyone got a gym lights buzzing alarm clock?

Some of the hard things to adjust to after marching corps:

Switching from learning and struggling to keep pace with the other members to being one of the most knowledgeable in the group.

Especially being from a super close knit group like a cymbal line, not having the same two guys on either side of me pretty much all day long was sort of like having a limb chopped off at first.

Seeing my old friends and realizing that I don’t really know them anymore and they don’t really know me anymore, at least not like people I marched with.

For me personally I think the hardest thing was seeing people do things that are disrespectful, to others, the group they are in, and even themselves. I don’t know how many times during that first marching band season after corps I would see someone doing something and just be totally shocked that it would even occur to them to do that, and it would be so much worse if they were in uniform.

I aged out in 1978, yet I STILL break out with a zit every time I get on a bus.

And I aged out in '84 and the combination smell of desiel exhaust and rain takes me back to loading the busses in Pennsylvania while on tour...

every time.