I'm interested in marching Jersey Surf next season

As a former Surf member I've decided to chime in. I marched there in 2003, that year we did "Down the Shore with the Jersey Surf". I didn't have much experience before I went to Surf aside from marching bass drum in hs and one year in a D3 corps. I auditioned at the November camp on mellophone, having never picked up a horn in my life, i learned a lot that weekend. The cool thing about Surf is that they take the time to teach you and ask everyone back to the next camp. After the November camp however I decided to not march. Fast forward to April and one of my friends marching bass drum there was offered a spot and told me they still had horn holes open. I go to the next camp which happened to be the first weekend of drill and was welcomed back with open arms. I began the summer on mellophone but was asked to move to contra (best decision ever). Overall if your willing to work hard and have fun at the same time, Surf is definitely the best choice. The summer of 2003 is something I will never forget. I have friends that I still talk to and that I will probably have for life from that corps.

Enough about me, heres some info on the corps. The first year I saw Surf was in Madison at D 2/3 finals. They first got my attention when I saw them marching on in jeans and t shirts with ball caps. That was Surf's first year of going for the theatrical side of corps. They felt they could better tell the story to the audience without wearing a typical drum corps uniform. The show that year was West Side Story but done in a way I had never seen before. Needless to say at the end of the show no one was sitting down. Still one of the best performances I've ever seen. At that moment I made the decision to atleast audition for Surf. They were about 3 hrs from my house.

I have no complaints about the food, I can't remember one thing I didn't like. You could even get seconds and thirds if there was enough left

over.

The answer to vocal amplification is definitely a no. Surf is pretty creative and can tell a story without words.

When I marched in 2003 Surf used G bugles, but they switched in 06 i think to Bb.

I personally would recommend marching tuba, the only bad thing is after your first weekend unless you're already strong you'll wish you hadn't.

The philosophy from what I can recollect is just to go out there and have fun but still be good. Surf is entertaining yet still at the top top of Division 2. They are and will always be a crowd favorite.

Rehearsals during the winter primarily focus on technique and learning music. I even can remember tracking in the gym with just the brass and percussion at some camps. Summer rehearsals primarily focus on drill starting the first weekend in April. Also around that time is when you have camp every weekend to get ready for tour. Surf's first show is usually the last weekend of June and for the week before it you have a week of rehearsal which Surf likes to call Sunshine Week, its basically Spring Training. First show happens and normally you get released the day after the 4th of July. Surf marches in the Philadelphia Independence Day parade every year. Its not too long and the crowd loves us (them). The corps then goes back to weekend only with shows on the weekends until about 2 weeks befor finals and they tour.

The staff was pretty awesome, I don't know how much staff is still there from 2003 but I know the brass caption head is and he knows what hes doing. They won brass this year w00t. Bob Jacobs the Director is pretty awesome too. He likes to make sure the kids have fun and that they are taken care of.

I think I've pretty much covered everything. If there is something I missed, feel free to post a reply or send me a pm. Whichever you prefer is fine with me.

Devon Jackson

Surf '03

Contra

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing to do is to email Tim "Shorty" Bartholomew (brass caption head of Surf and formerly with Garfield, Star and CBC) shorty@jerseysurf.org

I wrote out an e-mail explaining my interest but unfortunately, it bounced. Said that his inbox was too full. Hmmmm...

I wrote out an e-mail explaining my interest but unfortunately, it bounced. Said that his inbox was too full. Hmmmm...

oh by the way Steve Wands is the Brass Caption Head. Shorty is more like the guy that makes sure everything runs smoothly. He runs ensemble.

Edited by abercrombiedevon

Sorry I made a boo boo. He is listed as the following on their website:

Director of Education: Tim Bartholomew

I'm sure he'll get to his inbox just as soon as he gets back home. I do have his personal email but I don't feel at liberty to divulge that on these forums. You can also PM him here on DCP. Username: Shorty (go figure)

Bob Jacobs is a great director.

The food is awesome...especially since now there's a food truck! (No more meals from the back of a Ryder truck.) As previously mentioned, no one goes hungry.

Steve Wands is the brass caption head, and a great teacher. Great/weird/bizarre sense of humor; ask him to play selections from "Silence!" the musical for you...

No amplification. Not that they don't support it or aren't willing to use it, they just haven't needed it yet.

The philosophy is pretty simple: Work hard, have fun, and enjoy the journey that is called LIFE.

Edited by IBentMyWookie

My advice is to have your band director, a brass playing friend, or a lesson teacher go over some brass basics with you. That way you don't start off your drum corps career with a horrible technique problem that'll take months to fix.

I showed up at surf Nov of 99 never having touched even a mouth peice on a brass instrument. but i marched well and was good on my sax and flute so it came easy. I played Euph and they were still on G so it was a massive beast of a horn heh heh. The staff is great and will teach you alot about drum corps.

not to hijack the thread but couldnt we move this back to the DI thread since surf announced its new intentions.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question that I don't think really merits a thread itself:

When will audition info most likely be available for d1 corps? Any info you could give me on this would be great.

September I think...

wow d1 never thought id see that happen but im pretty impressed and hope they can make a wave come crashing down on all their competition