DCA opening a junior divison

let's just say that one of the corps in this list has been inactive for the last couple years and is considering a change (note, I said considering) to weekend only, all age, DCA competition in its effort to restarting the corps,...........................this corps has also recently moved the winter guard program to an all age class,..............

I have an idea who you might be talking about. Great stuff if it happens.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, it's all hypothetical...

But, if small regional competition jr. corps could be put together, using any and all resources available...for the sake of the kids i.e. not for money, or ego, or power... simply to give the kids a good drum corps experience. How could that not be good?

Let's say Empire, Cru, White Sabers, and T-Birds pool whatever extra resources they can spare, and field 25 brass, 10 in the battery, 12 in the guard, and a small pit. Then the Brigs head up an effort with interested parties from Auburn, Fulton and Oswego to field another similar sized corps. Again in the Utica/Rome area. Another in the capital district. Springfield, Mass. might be able to muster a small corps, and the Boston area should be good for two small corps. That's potentially seven small competing corps, and we haven't even gotten off interstate 90! Add in one or two from NYC, one from eastern PA. and maybe one each from NJ and Conn.

So, 10 or 11 corps that never have to leave the NY, NJ, Mass., Conn. PA. area....who could compete as best as is practical, at any and all DCA shows throughout the northeast. They do their little grass roots fund raisers, get $$$ for parades, and whatever revenue that's feasible from DCA for field competitions. If the recruiting base is kids 12-17 yrs old, or so...some will eventually feed DCA or DCI corps. And, some of these small corps may eventually grow to a size and strength where they would be better suited to cross over to DCI.

I'm not living in a dream world. I know this venture would not be easy. But nothing worthwhile ever is...

Granted, it's all hypothetical...

But, if small regional competition jr. corps could be put together, using any and all resources available...for the sake of the kids i.e. not for money, or ego, or power... simply to give the kids a good drum corps experience. How could that not be good?

Let's say Empire, Cru, White Sabers, and T-Birds pool whatever extra resources they can spare, and field 25 brass, 10 in the battery, 12 in the guard, and a small pit. Then the Brigs head up an effort with interested parties from Auburn, Fulton and Oswego to field another similar sized corps. Again in the Utica/Rome area. Another in the capital district. Springfield, Mass. might be able to muster a small corps, and the Boston area should be good for two small corps. That's potentially seven small competing corps, and we haven't even gotten off interstate 90! Add in one or two from NYC, one from eastern PA. and maybe one each from NJ and Conn.

So, 10 or 11 corps that never have to leave the NY, NJ, Mass., Conn. PA. area....who could compete as best as is practical, at any and all DCA shows throughout the northeast. They do their little grass roots fund raisers, get $$$ for parades, and whatever revenue that's feasible from DCA for field competitions. If the recruiting base is kids 12-17 yrs old, or so...some will eventually feed DCA or DCI corps. And, some of these small corps may eventually grow to a size and strength where they would be better suited to cross over to DCI.

I'm not living in a dream world. I know this venture would not be easy. But nothing worthwhile ever is...

If that is what the idea is all about...absolutely wonderful.

As you say...it's a big job and a lot of work.

If that is what the idea is all about...absolutely wonderful.

As you say...it's a big job and a lot of work.

All of this talk of seperate classes in DCI. Just make it ALL OPEN CLASS!!! The ex Div 2/3 corps compete with the Current Div 1 corps. Same sheets, graduated pay scale per previous years placement. Bonus for increase in size. The ex 2/3 corps do the same type of touring as they currently do, with possible minor adjustments for midweek shows. DCI sets up the schedule to assist in this.

DCI has more corps to fill shows.......possibly MORE shows.....EVERONE has the opportunity to make it to SAT. Night.

There is no pay for ex 2/3 as it is now. Financially it would be better for the corps.

The idea of having a more level playing field for the SMALLER corps would be to have 2 or 3 in a show of 10. That way the competition is tiered. A few corps at various levels, so there is still competition. For example, someone like Jester, although they are still in direct competition with Blue Devels, has another corps or 2 that they have a better chance of beating.

It would be no different then what is tiered in Div 1 now.

The competition from 1st to 4th, 5th to 7th, 8th to 12th, 13th to 17th......you get the idea.

Although it would be pretty cool, I don't see Pioneer, as an immediate threat to Cavaliers....YET.

Shouldn't Teal Sound, Oregon Crusaders,and others have the same chance to grow into the next Cavaliers...but they all have to be able to have the opportunity. As it is now, that couldn't happen.

All Jr Corps in 1 class...OPEN CLASS.

DREAM BIG!!!