Crossmen 2008

So you are a Skeptic and I am an Optimist.

I will tell you this much.... alumni and fans will be more willing to give $$$ to the corps now, knowing it will benefit them only. That's not a slap in YEA's face.....just fact. :blink:

Another fact. Crossmen as an organization operated on a loss each year (on their own merits). They were kept afloat by yea for a decade. Im still glad the move happened, but geeze.

- question - id' be curious to know the story behind crossmen joining yea...anyone have the whole story? Werent crown and magic also members at one time? I think a lot of ignorant comments on here could be cleared up with some actual 'facts' ...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of ignorant comments on here could be cleared up with some actual 'facts' ...

You'd think so! But sadly, that is not usually the case. Believe me, I know...I feel like I've been saying the same things over and over for years around here. If the Crossmen had a nickel for every time I've stated the facts surrounding the whole "feeder corps" myth, they wouldn't be in the red anymore. That's what it feels like, anyway. In general, people believe what they want to believe. So many myths, so many misconceptions, so many exaggerations. Certainly, the Crossmen era with YEA has seen its ups and downs. It just is what it is, and thankfully, we can all now (hopefully) turn the page and move forward. The last thing I'm interested in right now as an alum is assigning blame or pointing fingers or dwelling on stuff that might have gone wrong in the past. There is far too much to be excited about as it relates to the Crossmen FUTURE. Turn the page, the next chapter is gonna be AMAZING! :)

You'd think so! But sadly, that is not usually the case. Believe me, I know...I feel like I've been saying the same things over and over for years around here. If the Crossmen had a nickel for every time I've stated the facts surrounding the whole "feeder corps" myth, they wouldn't be in the red anymore. That's what it feels like, anyway. In general, people believe what they want to believe. So many myths, so many misconceptions, so many exaggerations. Certainly, the Crossmen era with YEA has seen its ups and downs. It just is what it is, and thankfully, we can all now (hopefully) turn the page and move forward. The last thing I'm interested in right now as an alum is assigning blame or pointing fingers or dwelling on stuff that might have gone wrong in the past. There is far too much to be excited about as it relates to the Crossmen FUTURE. Turn the page, the next chapter is gonna be AMAZING! :)

Indeed. I marched cadets for several years, and every year, a corps like magic, cap reg (before the fold), boston, spirit, crown (back in 03) had a bigger representation than bones alums. But hey, what do you and I know :) . Best of luck to crossmen in the future.

This is, simply put, put up or shut up time for the Crossmen alumni. If, as is claimed, the major road block to their support and assistance was the corps' involvement with YEA, then we should see a pretty significant swell in financial support come rolling in now that the corps is independent again. I personally don't think that will happen...we all have our theories about what will really happen, but it all remains to be seen. Bottom line is there is no shortage of passion amongst Crossmen alumni.

Oh, their has never been a shortage of passion among the alumni. Working one night in the souvie trailer at a local show will provide positive proof of that. The problem is you can't blow their check books open with a stick of TNT. I don't buy into this stuff about the alumni will now be giving because the corps is no longer a program of YEA. Our association with YEA didn't start until 1996 on a part time basis and it became full time in 97 when both boards voted to make it final. In all the years leading up to that the alumni did nothing to support the corps. It was NOT YEA stoping them from giving during those years. I always hope the alumni will respond but I don't believe they will based on past experience prior to our YEA association.

I take it you are active in the alumni association. You active guys deserve a lot of credit for what you're doing to help the corps. Great job! I remember you and I believe 92 was your last year marching. Was it you who played the back field soprano solo in 92 during the exit? I think that may have been you.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know anything about their audition process last year? Did you have to play a prepared etude or what?

yes.

• 2 months later...

yes, they indeed do!

It means that the Crossmen are not with YEA anymore. Thank you YEA, for backing Crossmen over the last 12 or so years, ^OO^ but thanks to some Great people from Texas for Saving the Crossmen once again from being folded "by" YEA.

Let's modify that with, thanks to Hoppy for working tirelessly to find the great people in Texas and work with them to get them to take over the corps so it wouldn't fold. It's funny how people were jumping all over Hoppy last year for arranging the Texas deal instead of letting the PA area alumni folk take over the corps but now that the move to Texas seems to be going well, backhanded remarks like "saved ... from being folder by YEA!" appear.

There's no pleasing some of you!!!

Perhaps calling the Crossmen a feeder corps for the #### Cadets was unfair. It would be better to have said they will no longer have to be the "2nd" priority corps. Sorry...

to go along with that...i have a few friends that marched back in the early 2000's and they all said that YEA!, to them, stood for You Eat After the cadets...

to go along with that...i have a few friends that marched back in the early 2000's and they all said that YEA!, to them, stood for You Eat After the cadets...

I have heard the 'you eat after' motto before. Honestly, in some cases, it was probably true. After all, the cadets were the original responsibility of YEA, and, since they usually bring in more fans and dollars, it makes sense to a point. The you eat after motto is honestly just a relic from the days when the corps would hold spring training in allentown at the same college, and apparently the cadets ate first. It was probably just a scheduling thing, but apparently its been made a big deal. Frankly, im kind of sick of hearing about it. During the time I was marching, we had just as many problems as bus breakdowns and equipment as bones did, and we certainly did have any better facilities (we rehearsed in the same building in the winter).

I guess im just sick of all these lame jabs at yea after the fact....seriously, comparing crossmen to the cadets is like comparing the blue stars to the cadets. In both cases, the cadets are probably a little better off for a variety of reasons such as recruiting, history, sponsors, staff, talent, and the lists go on. Stop trying to turn this into something it isnt please.... :lookaround:

Edited by euponitone