Alpharetta Review

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do exist. After mowing...uh, hosin' down the boat, I left the 100 degree weather in 'Bama for a hot day in Lebanon, TN, to watch a day of Music City Legend rehearsal yesterday, Saturday. I heard a Tornado at Cumberland University on a screw-rim Schilke, but it was sultry.

Chattahootchee HS is a drum corps facility. I was there with Bob & Annie Sullivan and Whitney the day after the GA Dome to watch the Blue Devils rehearse. Van Williams invited us "into" the horn arc. What a thrill. I sat on a curb 10' away and typed the GA Dome review while Giovanni Laidler et al. wailed.

DCA sure is growing. Whatever you do, don't throw Alliance into the briarpatch. They thrive on running a show on a hot day. Reilly's Raiders, with Pastor at the pulpit, did a "Mahvalous" job! Joe Fan wouldn't know it was their firstest yeareth.

Derby City Knights got the bulls hot with "Malaguena." Anthony Bonner, the only dude on a 3-valve, played some A-flats on his bari, vertically aligning (I'm learning these staff phrases) with his 2-valve brethren/sisteren. I was duly impressed, especially with the guy banging on his bass drum rack, kitchen sink....

Dick Pomerleau and Shenandoah Sound from 92.5 % Sterling Silver, VA, only need to add Gen. Stonewall Jackson, more brass, percolators 'n guard and they should expand the drill to compete next year. There is no cheap Taxco silver in this unit. Play twice at I&E Pomerleau, then finish the job -- Compete!!!!!!!!! (Stated with vibrato!)

Gulf Coast Sound has brass cajones, a percussion section that kept hard at it both in Rockmart and Alpharetta, their always talented cg and an air-conditioned bus. They have nicknacks in GCS? Oh, Nikki Nauck. I thought GCS was headed for Bob and Annie's after the Rockmart show. They sure seemed to be in a caravan with B&A's Cadillac as we drove to Carol Huff's home. Their Caddy plays drum corps DVD videos when you put it into park. The Sullivan's would have put 'em all up. Bob is trying to figure out how to drive to Rochester with his car in park. Dave Breiw...Briewheez...Budweiser...that silver-haired dude who's been in corps for decades, including with CorpsVets, did a great job as always. Thanks GCS for having an honor guard!!!

Alliance didn't run out of gas at their home show. The 1 PM show start time forced all units to rehearse less, which helped each corps to have fuel injection in the heat of the day before a crowd. Work on brass blend rather than too much caffeine from some horn members trying to be Troopers; i.e., trying toooo hard. Alliance is for real. Folks in Rochester better get their hotdogs early and be in their paid Paetec seats to catch Alliance.

One of my most pleasant surprises of this aught seven summer has been Music City Legend. The show entertains better than a Opry bluegrass band. The price tag for this show is worth far more than a Minnie Pearl hat. Joe Murphy knew his boundaries in Alpharetta and "dubbaed" his way into our hearts with his shoulder horn. The entire brass has talent throughout -- Lotsa Scouts, Blue Devils and more in the entire corps. Scott McCoy and the two guys on either side of him, Dan Scott is one, have to diddle the pergatory out of their snares to balance...and they do just fine, thank you!!! Great guard.

The CorpsVets burned a one-mile wide path from Rocky South Mart to Alpharetta. DCA Prez Gil Silva, Bob Cardaneo, chief brass judge and the DCA panel of judges were beaming. The pit has improved immensely from their fine early summer shows. Most of the '06 guard talent is still there, like Chris Keys. The cg has added even more new faces, and this guard will dance their way into your heart. Check out these smiling dudes and dudettes. CV has a superb horn line. Refer to my other ramblings on how kickbutt they are.

The DCA tickets should state: "Entertainment guaranteed. CV delivers! Music City Legend, Gulf Coast Sound and Alliance alone are worth the price of Paetec Park admission.

I pricked my finger on the CorpsVets' tenors newly-added scoops. :) Leif Marwede and Vic Kulinski, Jr., need to have their tenors flip Marwede's tenor inventions up and "attack" the adjudicators VK style!!! I heard the tenors, too. Nice addition, that and the Yamaha snares.

Cardaneo and I walked across the turf during intermission. It was like an older version of the recycled tire field at Paetec Park. I looked over my shoulder wondering if the heat would be blown out by a vengeful Ernesto.

When I spent yesterday with Music City Legend, I'm sorry that I didn't track down the cg to watch. I did ask a couple of people, but the guard was in stealth mode. Thanks to MCL for letting me warm up with y'all. I buzzed for about 8 hours during my drive, but playing is so much better.

Someone mentioned hot weather in Texas. I lived there 12 years. We used to go crack eggs on blacktop and watch 'em fry. In 1980, Ft. Worth had 43 consecutive days of 100+. My Tex-Mex buddy and I were featured on the evening news...Not flatteringly: "Look at these idiots, out playing tennis at 113 degrees. This is what one should not...."

As I type this, Hairbear is giving a guitar lesoon. "There's that 7th chord....." The gal, Sarah, is singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "There is a house in Katrina Land." Hairbear just got back from writing front ensemble parts for Nick Angelis at the U. of Cincy Marching Band.

Everyone say "hi" in Rachacha. I'm easy to spot. I'm the one with perfectly matched lenses, starboard and port. :) (:

Edited by CozyChopsCom

deleted post.

Edited by usmpiano