Drum Corps on Ice

So I'm thinking about taking my daughter to the Disney on Ice production of Princess Classics and it occurred to me, Drum Corps on Ice!!!

Envisioning a hybrid of indoor drum line, winter guard and brass on ice production.

I'm thinking it would be smooth playing, for the horns, no running or (old school here) high mark time.

Think of the speed at which one could move. Stopping while playing could be an issue. Falls would be problematic, especially since ice skating is a skill most drum corps members I know, wouldn't perfect over the course of a summer.

Would there be narration?

What kind of show ideas can you think of?

Of course there is a limited audience for a drum corps only production (like Blast), but could you add drum corps style music to other ice productions? Is this being done? Maybe someone knows, but would it work for opening/closing ceremonies for the Winter Olympics?

Have fun, discuss.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like yet another innovation that the Cook group could pick up. The last clip i saw of their newest show had the horn players bouncing on trampolines and individual bouncing balls while playing. This doesn't seem too far fetched, although I keep getting that one scene from "Blades of Glory" playing over and over in my head...the Iron Lotus :ph34r: . All in all if this happened I'd pay a reasonable amount to see it at least once. :beer:

I saw the add for the newest production of blast with the bouncing ball thing. Bouncing while playing music???

That is why I thought of ice. Smooth.

Call it "Ice!"

They could play Madison's 1980 "Through the Eyes of Love" from "Ice Castles" and Phantom's 1987 "Songs from the Winter Palace." Perhaps something with the word "fall" in it, such as SCV's 1991 "The Fall of Saigon" of The Cavaliers' 2000 "Niagara Falls." (Okay, that's a stretch.) Maybe something from Boston's 2000 "Red" for all the blood that would be gushing across the ice, followed by something from BD's 2004 "The Phenomenon of Cool."

But perhaps the most appropriate piece would be Spirit from JSU's 2005 "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked."

Edited by Michael Boo

They could play Madison's 1980 "Through the Eyes of Love" from "Ice Castles" and Phantom's 1987 "Songs from the Winter Palace." Perhaps something with the word "fall" in it, such as SCV's 1991 "The Fall of Saigon" of The Cavaliers' 2000 "Niagara Falls." (Okay, that's a stretch.) Maybe something from Boston's 2000 "Red" for all the blood that would be gushing across the ice, followed by something from BD's 2004 "The Phenomenon of Cool."

But perhaps the most appropriate piece would be Spirit from JSU's 2005 "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked."

Just the thought of a big long snareline trying to sidestep really quickly on skates has me giggling! Let alone the basses or tenors!

27th Lancers and the Winter Olympics (76 or 80? I can't remember).

Are there any videos of that performance?

Edited by shawn craig

I wanted to do this when I was in the pep band at University of Denver (no football team, all about HOCKEY!). I don't know how to skate though, so the idea never went anywhere :P.

I think it would be cool if Disney made it happen for even part of their Disney on Ice program... Or even a whole seperate thing, like Blast, but with big props and everything that can also slide around on the ice. The ensemble wouldn't have to be very large, with mic'd instruments...

How about just flyin around drum racks for the big percussion feature... "Power slides" underneath the racks, or maybe a circular/enclosed rack that one person plays on, while spinning faster and faster... *shrug*

I need to start talking to the pep band director...

27th Lancers and the Winter Olympics (76 or 80? I can't remember).

Are there any videos of that performance?

I never had a video of that performance, but it was televised, so somebody might have it. The corps actually glued sandpaper to the bottoms of their shoes to avoid sliding on the ice. Michael Boo did a great "Fanfare" interview with Barbara "Bunny" Hopkins about the whole experience. Michael, can you provide a link??

Oh, and my corps will be playing "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" from the South Park movie.

Was planning on royal blue uniforms, but thought we might look too much like "Smurfs on Ice" and have decided to go with red (hides the blood).