East Coast Jazz returning for 2008

I just lost the game.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just concerned, man. ECJ may never be the same for us who have all found other places to march, but I'd like to think that the first-timers into drum corps -- or even the people looking for another place to march -- will have their defining moments with the Jazz in 2008. I think we all understand that it's not easy being a director, especially having to start new, and I'd agree that most, if not, all the things handled with the organization were pretty chaotic, but think of what the corps has done for you in the long run...

ECJ gave me something to believe in, something to fight for. It was hard work. There was blood, sweat, and tears. It was something that I was able to do as an individual that none of my friends back home could identify with. It gave me great friends, a better outlook on life, and all of those life lessons that we read about here. And even though all of these experiences were my own, and we were all different from day one, we came to this corps and this activity for the same reason.

Wouldn't you want that for the kid being dropped off at the first camp in a couple weeks?

I'm just concerned, man. ECJ may never be the same for us who have all found other places to march, but I'd like to think that the first-timers into drum corps -- or even the people looking for another place to march -- will have their defining moments with the Jazz in 2008. I think we all understand that it's not easy being a director, especially having to start new, and I'd agree that most, if not, all the things handled with the organization were pretty chaotic, but think of what the corps has done for you in the long run...

ECJ gave me something to believe in, something to fight for. It was hard work. There was blood, sweat, and tears. It was something that I was able to do as an individual that none of my friends back home could identify with. It gave me great friends, a better outlook on life, and all of those life lessons that we read about here. And even though all of these experiences were my own, and we were all different from day one, we came to this corps and this activity for the same reason.

Wouldn't you want that for the kid being dropped off at the first camp in a couple weeks?

Well said.

Cp

I'll agree with you Nick. we went through some rough times with ECJ, however, I think it pretty much shaped us all for the better. we definitely learned a lot about life through drum corps, and I hope that if and when things get off the ground for ECJ, those involved will be able to learn the same things we did, just in a different manner.

Oh absolutely! The next time someone complains about losing the air conditioning on a bus for one overnight ride or complains that they didn't get enough food at lunch or complains about being tired in practice because the corps didn't get any sleep the night before because we were parked in God knows where for countless hours and we only got off the bus to pee in the sketchy allies and found our bus drivers sleeping on top of the busses and no director in sight even though we were traveling maybe 2 or 3 hours but it actually took all night... I can just think to myself, 'Dude, it's all been done before. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it.'

Bad*** huh!

All statements I made regarding paying staff on time that I made in previous posts on this topic aside (which were meant to be more general anyway...not so much pointed exclusively at ECJ), I really hope East Coast Jazz can make the right moves to get the corps back on the field and I wish those who are involved in the building process the very best in your efforts.

Oh absolutely! The next time someone complains about losing the air conditioning on a bus for one overnight ride or complains that they didn't get enough food at lunch or complains about being tired in practice because the corps didn't get any sleep the night before because we were parked in God knows where for countless hours and we only got off the bus to pee in the sketchy allies and found our bus drivers sleeping on top of the busses and no director in sight even though we were traveling maybe 2 or 3 hours but it actually took all night... I can just think to myself, 'Dude, it's all been done before. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it.'

Bad*** huh!

Isn't the point, though, that the kind of drum corps experience you describe above is no longer acceptable in this day and age?

I don't want my kids involved in a corps "that doesn't get enough food at lunch, and one that didn't get any sleep the night before because they were parked in God knows where for countless hours." I don't want my kids to "pee in sketchy allies" or one that finds their bus drivers "sleeping on top of the busses with no director in sight."

It's no longer a matter of "putting on your big girl panties and dealing with it." This sort of stuff is precisely why some people should NOT be running organizations like this.

So, if your quaint recollections are any indication of what life in the ECJ was really like, then I don't think there's any reason in the world to continue to lament their loss or hope for their miraculous re-appearance on the tour. Any corps operated like this needs to be gone. Period.

(In my humble opinion, of course).