2008 Championships

Why are finals earlier then they were this year. from dci.org:The 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships, scheduled for Aug. 5-9. the last 3 years they have been on the 11th 12th 13th.

I thought it was usually the second weekend in August, which in 2008 is the 8th and 9th. Plus, I know many schools and colleges go back in session on the 10th in 2008.

thanks

can't they have their first game away though?

Why are finals earlier then they were this year. from dci.org:The 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships, scheduled for Aug. 5-9. the last 3 years they have been on the 11th 12th 13th.

And if you went back just one more year, you would have found the final day on August 7. (Granted, that was largely due to the stadium being used for that other thing that happens on football fields.) But just going back another year you'll find it was also on the 9th, and a year earlier on the 10th...

So ending on the 9th is not a precedent.

I thought it was usually the second weekend in August, which in 2008 is the 8th and 9th. Plus, I know many schools and colleges go back in session on the 10th in 2008.

As late as 1998, it was on the third Saturday of August.

2004 was 8/7 and that worked perfectly.
This was because they had six corps do another week of tour into California. Finals were always the third Saturday in August. In 1999 it was moved to the second Saturday, I believe because of change academic calendars. There have been very few exceptions. Edited by VKMello84