Remember when Glassmen were the talk of Drum Corps late 90's?

Top corps like BD coming to watch your visual warm up. Kids at glassmen don't experience things like that anymore. thats my point

What is your point ? Since you have been here, you have been very arrogant and downright rude, and you seem very snobish regarding corps that dont place well or have beaten you.

I would take last years Glassmen and 2006's Glassmen any DAY over 1998 Glassmens "Snorefest" Esoteric, sterile, unembraceable program with the outlandish, downright silly guard uniforms.

Placement is irelevant to entertainment value. And dont go trying to "School" me on the competition aspect, I was a part of it before you were born and it is what keeps me here, there is still no denying what is and isnt entertaining.

~G~

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

YOu know what I get so annoyed when people in drum corp say "you put too much emphasis on placement" WELL THEN WHY THE #### COMPETE IF IT DOES NOT MATTER?

Because if it were a festival format it would be pretty boring.

We might as well just all play whatever we want and have some fans come and cheer us on right. Cause with what your saying all that matters is the performance and the experience. I'm not saying that does not matter Because it is a huge part of the activity, but the four years I marched my worse experience was in 2000 when at glassmen we placed 8th and my best experience was Two years. Visually it was glassmen 99. Musically it was Cadets 01. My point is usually a good year whatever a good year for that drum corps might be. Sometimes agood year for a corps is finishing 12th sometimes 8th sometimes 5th and sometimes 1st or 2nd. Whatever the standards are for that corps meaning they went behond expectations is a much better experience than always falling short of your goals. Why do you think people leave glassmen, colts, blue knights and all the others to go to Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavies, SCV and now once again Phantom? Answer TO WIN. Or come damm near close trying. To be the best to be around the best. Everyone wants to be a winner and everyone loves a winner.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous, and I think that fine groups like the Glassmen and Blue Knights and Colts are better off without these types of people. If you want to leave your family to go win, then by all means, please do; but it's pretty #### hypocritical to do that and then turn around and complain about how they aren't placing like they used to. You can be the best where ever you go, no one's stopping you from achieving the highest level possible at Glassmen instead of Cadets. You as an individual performer are not any better or worse because of the skill level of those around you. If you want to win, go win. If you want to be a member of the Glassmen, maybe win someday, and challenge YOURSELF instead of going and depending on the abilities of OTHERS, then I see no reason why you would need to go to another corps.

And I'm sorry, I don't love "winners." I love people who excel at what they do and stay true to the people they care about. That has nothing to do with being a "winner."

Some drum Corps people kid themeselves in saying its all about the performance and the experience of getting up and working hard. Well guess what it aint worth it unless your competing at the level you went to that corps to expect to compete at. I don't know what else to say. I'm so frustrated right now. By the way I did leave Glassmen to go to Cadets because along with about 5 other vets that left and went to BD that same year after 2000. If we would have been 4th or 5th again I guarantee 4 out of 5 of us would not have left. SO does winning still not matter?

It shouldn't. If it matters to you, then thank GOD you left my corps.

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous, and I think that fine groups like the Glassmen and Blue Knights and Colts are better off without these types of people. If you want to leave your family to go win, then by all means, please do; but it's pretty #### hypocritical to do that and then turn around and complain about how they aren't placing like they used to. You can be the best where ever you go, no one's stopping you from achieving the highest level possible at Glassmen instead of Cadets. You as an individual performer are not any better or worse because of the skill level of those around you. If you want to win, go win. If you want to be a member of the Glassmen, maybe win someday, and challenge YOURSELF instead of going and depending on the abilities of OTHERS, then I see no reason why you would need to go to another corps.

And I'm sorry, I don't love "winners." I love people who excel at what they do and stay true to the people they care about. That has nothing to do with being a "winner."

This pretty much sums up my thoughts

Because if it were a festival format it would be pretty boring.

[/quote

Well explain this. Why do pro athletes who have never won a championship sometimes leave a team after so many years to win one. Case in point. Ray Bourque, Chris Chelios he had not won in forever. and many others. Yes carring about people is important but I still cared about the corps. Hell if I did not I would not have a discussion about them. I actually cried when I saw you guys this year rehearsing at glassbowl in spring training. I remember rehearsing there with Larry Markewics, Bill Kellerman, Lee Bedis and not to be rude our rehearsal pace was about 5 times faster than yours was. Thats what makes me upset and dissapointed. I don't blame that on you guys the members because I thought you guys were executing pretty well, but the pace was awful. The drill was not as hard and the horn staff besides the caption head really did not seem to have a handle on things. They kind of seemed a little in over there heads. OUr staff at glassmen back then was so confident it was scary. After all the year before they were all either caption heads at Cadets or Phantom and the whole visual staff was all Star of Indiana ALumni. Not EMU band kids bro. I'm sorry It just dissapoints me.

Kids at glassmen don't experience things like that anymore. thats my point

What bothers me about this is that it's like you're saying to current Glassmen members "MY experience was better then YOUR experience." That's pretty bigheaded.

There's a lot that goes into making a summer an awesome experience, and placements and "having people come watch you at finals warmup" can be part of that, sure. But there are a lot of different lessons to be learned a lot of different ways, and pardon me, but it seems like you didn't learn the one about respecting other people's experiences.

You don't love winners. SO you don't like any sport team that wins then or your college football team that wins. You only cheer for the team that is nice guys right. Dude I'm not gonna say what i want to say cause I'll get thrown off but that just makes you sound like one big.......................................................... a part of a women.

You don't love winners. SO you don't like any sport team that wins then or your college football team that wins. You only cheer for the team that is nice guys right. Dude I'm not gonna say what i want to say cause I'll get thrown off but that just makes you sound like one big.......................................................... a part of a women.

Holy crap for one...and two...

Just have to throw this out there: why do female genitalia have to be associated with weakness? :blink::rock:

Now you've managed to insult all 6th-12th place corps through all time AND women everywhere. Neat.

Edited by octavia9299

What does a closet full of shoes have do with this??? :P

Seriously, though ... saying you don't love winners means you don't love something/someone simply because they've won something. I like my college football team whether they win or not because they do things the right way, IMO and I am proud of them and root for them to win and am darn pleased when they do. But whether or not they win, doesn't change my liking of them. Same thing for any sports team or drum corps. Striving to do your best is the key, if your best is good enough to win, great, but if not, you're no failure in my eyes.

Edited by Liam

If the Glassmen keep entertaining me like they always have, then they're always going to be winners in my book.

What does a closet full of shoes have do with this??? :P

Seriously, though ... saying you don't love winners means you don't love something/someone simply because they've won something. I like my college football team whether they win or not because they do things the right way, IMO and I am proud of them and root for them to win and am darn pleased when they do. But whether or not they win, doesn't change my liking of them. Same thing for any sports team or drum corps. Striving to do your best is the key, if your best is good enough to win, great, but if not, you're no failure in my eyes.

Thank god you don't coach sports. I have 2 state championships from hockey playing and one from assistant coaching and we preached or was preached to trying is not good enough there is trying and doing. Your either a winner or a looser. Which side are you on boys? thats what are coaches would say to us. Pretty much thats What some of my best drum corps instructors said too. The kids that could not hack it left and good riddens. Trying hard and coming up short over and over again is like hitting your head against the wall with no results. Eventually you should win and if you don't then your not a winner your a looser.