how do you find your music?

N Murphy

This will be our 4th year doing WG, and I always seem to have a hard time finding music that hasn't been done that is good enough for a WG show.

Other groups seem to be able to do it, and I just can't figure out how. there is not enough time in the day to just listen to music. iTunes sometimes doesnt' give a good taste of the piece and I'm not about to buy a bunch of tracks that are crap.

any thoughts? how do you go about it? I'm sure everyone has a different way.

I'd love to hear how you find music!

This will be our 4th year doing WG, and I always seem to have a hard time finding music that hasn't been done that is good enough for a WG show.

Other groups seem to be able to do it, and I just can't figure out how. there is not enough time in the day to just listen to music. iTunes sometimes doesnt' give a good taste of the piece and I'm not about to buy a bunch of tracks that are crap.

any thoughts? how do you go about it? I'm sure everyone has a different way.

I'd love to hear how you find music!

If you have a specific theme, I suggest searching for music that has some words about your theme in the title. Also, with alot of bands using Myspace now, you can look for specific types of music.

If you have a specific theme, I suggest searching for music that has some words about your theme in the title. Also, with alot of bands using Myspace now, you can look for specific types of music.

Nope, have no theme, have absolutely no idea which direction we want to go!

I would recommend sitting down and deciding this first: What type of music do your kids like? Ballads? Fast? Classical? 80's? Once you narrow that down, I would just start with music you know that is from whatever area you've chosen.

Example: My girls really enjoy spinning to ballad type songs - slow, emotionally moving pieces. I was thrilled because I like those too; so, I have just been going through the cd's I have with ballad type songs - folk music, classical, broadway.. Simon and Garfunkel, Philip Glass..

Asking your kids will really help. PLUS If you tell them what you like, often times I've found that your kids will respond very well to whatever you choose. If you believe in it, they will too!

So, ask your kids and decide what you like. Pick an area (folk, broadway, jazz, classical..) and go from there.

Hope this helps!

I would recommend sitting down and deciding this first: What type of music do your kids like? Ballads? Fast? Classical? 80's? Once you narrow that down, I would just start with music you know that is from whatever area you've chosen.

Example: My girls really enjoy spinning to ballad type songs - slow, emotionally moving pieces. I was thrilled because I like those too; so, I have just been going through the cd's I have with ballad type songs - folk music, classical, broadway.. Simon and Garfunkel, Philip Glass..

Asking your kids will really help. PLUS If you tell them what you like, often times I've found that your kids will respond very well to whatever you choose. If you believe in it, they will too!

So, ask your kids and decide what you like. Pick an area (folk, broadway, jazz, classical..) and go from there.

Hope this helps!

Plus if you go on allmusic.com you can see artists that are considered similar to your favorites. Sometimes that helps discover new performers and not use the same music that everyone else has used.

not that i have designed guard shows (althought i can't wait to do it!) i get music themes from everywhere! if you keep your ears open you'll here music everywhere!

my suggestion would be to decide on a theme first. some sort of story that you'd be interested in telling, -which cou-ld be as simple as a feeling...and then go from there. you do need to listen to a wide variety of things however. no way around that!

it might also work if you come up with more than one idea, and than compre each to the others, like which one the kids could pull off the best, which one would have music more easily available, etc.

I've prided myself on doing shows with music that others haven't done....atleast in my neck of the woods. Here's what I do...

Establish identy for the season. Are you wanting to be ballad like or something pop? Maybe something with a twist is more your fancy. If you know what type of music your looking for or can atleast narrow down to a genre, it will be easier to do the next step.

Research. I've found Itunes to be a tremendous tool in finding quarky and avant garde tracks.

Pull from others in the arts. I am a sucker for pulling music from a dance company I've seen, or ideas/themes from other performance arts. It's about what inspires you.

Good Luck and happy hunting :)

I just keep my ears open all year long for something that might be good. I go to Itunes or Amazon and use the feature where it tells you "people that purchased this also bought this." I keep a file of possible pieces and add to it anytime I find something suitable. Usually by the time winter rolls around I have 8 or 10 possibilities.

The key to my music finding success is: Soundtracks. Not just for musicals, but for any movie that I like that I think might have a good soundtrack. I really liked the soundtracks for "Elizabethtown", "Jerry Maguire", "Marie Antoinette", etc etc.

I also think of bands that I liked growing up, and see if they've release anything since they were really popular back in the day. Chances are, they released something in the last few years that may not have done real well on the charts, but would be perfect for a guard show.

I also take into consideration what type of show my kids feel comfortable doing. Are they able to successfully pull off an upbeat, in-your-face show? Or would they rather do something more dark and impactful? Ask them, chances are, they already have a few ideas for you.

Edited by coastiemeg

I've prided myself on doing shows with music that others haven't done....atleast in my neck of the woods. Here's what I do...

Establish identy for the season. Are you wanting to be ballad like or something pop? Maybe something with a twist is more your fancy. If you know what type of music your looking for or can atleast narrow down to a genre, it will be easier to do the next step.

Research. I've found Itunes to be a tremendous tool in finding quarky and avant garde tracks.

Pull from others in the arts. I am a sucker for pulling music from a dance company I've seen, or ideas/themes from other performance arts. It's about what inspires you.

Good Luck and happy hunting :)

EXCELLENT comments! When I was at the last spinfest, one of the things told to "newish programs" or programs that wanted to excel in WGI was to 1) Establish an Identity that is different from your competitors (ex: Flanagan, inspirational shows; Light Brigade, high energy/emotion; etc.). 2) Work on Basics A LOT. after that the rest is experience and/or an excellent staff.

I usually try to choose a theme to go with the identity of the guard (based on their personalities, or go opposite of their personalities to give them a mental workout in terms of performance), then pick music from there. There are TONS of songs I would love to do, but they don't always go with the image I want for the guard that particular year. Find something that inspires you and go from there.

So You Think You can Dance is a great source of alt/pop types of music -- just give Imogene Heap a rest for this year, please?! thanks! :music: :P