John Cage and drum corps

Man, is there anyone you don't know Mike? Minor Pen pals or not.. thats so awesome.

I wouldn't have met him had he not come to Northern Illinois University when I was a masters composition student. (I say "minor" because we exchanged only a few letters.) And I still remember meeting Evelyn Glennie when she was 16 and less than 50 people showed up for her first percussion recital at a Percussive Arts Society International Convention. (I have a hand-written original copy of her "A Little Prayer" for marimba that I've played at churches and nursing homes...years before it was published.)

But, yes, I've been very fortunate in the people I've been allowed to meet and some I've been allowed to befriend. The one I cherish most in my memories is Frederick Fennell, whom I've written about on DCI.org. And there are the dozens of world and Olympic figure skaters I used to interview for a skating publication that no longer exists. (A book even came out of that which was published.)

But I keep coming back to my drum corps friends as my strength and support. Kind of crazy, huh? I really love what I'm allowed to do for DCI. It's the one constant in my life.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, ignorance. Tastes like chocolate.

Not really. From what I know about cage, he would agree with that guy (maybe not the negative subtext he implied, but who cares honestly?)

speaking of Reich, we fooled around with a warmup based on one of his pieces. It was a killer exercise, sounded sweet, really tough, it was just too long. I don't think people in the lot would have "got it," instead, we played Radiohead and Van Halen in the lot :)

It'd be nice to see more corps playing the more "off the wall" stuff.

How about 11 one minute segments from Indeterminacy?

...if you know so much about mushrooms, why did you take this class? I replied, Because there is so much about mushrooms I DON'T know...

Now that's narration.

Speaking of prepared piano, I'm working with a pianist these days who lived with Cage for a short time and is one of only a few to have personally consulted with him on piano preparations. Check out our MusiX page.

Well... at the risk of incurring the wrath of some of you (can't find the right smilies to express my fear) I'd have to say that the most enjoyable thing for me about that linked page was finding

on the right side of the page.

What would interest me more than using a newly electrified pit to play Cage or Glass or whoever, would be to commission such composers to write FOR drum (AND bugle) corps. How would they write, taking into account all of the existing instrumentation and techniques in use? Would they call for a prepared hornline? I can hear the shouts from the crowd now.... "THEY'RE ALWAYS PREPARED!"

I feel my very first original DCP topic brewing. It'll probably come within the week, and probably won't last long.

John Cage's stuff is more about shifting perceptions or perspectives than it is about the actual notes on the page.

As far as his actual music, I don't know that it translates well to the medium of drum corps... however... this concepts could have some very interesting applications.

I had mentioned awhile back about riffing on Cage and Merce Cunninghams system of chance operations. Breaking a program up into 4 sections and randomly choosing the order of each before each performance.

Anyway, Cage involves more philosophy than it does technique... and this imbalance doesn't really work well for drum corps. Why not take the philosophical demands of Cage and apply them to something more technically demanding?

John Cage's stuff is more about shifting perceptions or perspectives than it is about the actual notes on the page.

As far as his actual music, I don't know that it translates well to the medium of drum corps... however... this concepts could have some very interesting applications.

I had mentioned awhile back about riffing on Cage and Merce Cunninghams system of chance operations. Breaking a program up into 4 sections and randomly choosing the order of each before each performance.

Anyway, Cage involves more philosophy than it does technique... and this imbalance doesn't really work well for drum corps. Why not take the philosophical demands of Cage and apply them to something more technically demanding?

I'm not even talking about making any of this work with what the sheets say (it doesn't come close to complying with what the top Box wants, but I also don't care). The corps could get last place, just do some Cage. I will settle for nothing less :P

But of course you're right, I definitely see what you're getting at.