Allentown

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allentown in my opinion from being both a marcher and a spectator in the past few years:

The Vibe: East Coast or you suck

The Lines: Disgustingly long

The Upper Tier: Disgustingly unsafe

The Food: Just plain disgusting

There's tradition, but is Allentown so important that we need to look past all of the glaring inadequacies? There are plenty of other great stadiums along the upper east coast that would work great for that kind of large event. Did anyone here go to Drums Along the Waterfront in Buffalo? It was held at the UB stadium, and was an amazing place for drum corps! Nice high stands, good access, good neighborhood (it was on campus). And one of the most important advantages over Allentown: easy wheelchair access. This would be a smart move for DCI to consider before continuing to hold a major regional in a stadium that is literally falling apart.

Umm, no. On all accounts. East coast or you suck ?? I could give examples of this not being true from a yearly basis but its so untrue, it doesnt matter.

Lines long ?? sure, on intermission, that happens everywhere.

Upper tier is closed now.

Food disgusting ?? how so ? The variety is great and many love that aspect of the venue.

Oh, and the silliest, most far fetched of all ?? Wheelchair access...LOL LOL...one of the greatest venues in the entire country for wheelchair/handicapped access. Ever enter the stadium from the top instead of the bottom ?? The redesign was doe so with handicapped people in mind......did you know that ??

The fact is its highly accomodating to handicapped/wheelchair patrons.

~G~

since when has anyone lately really given a crap about tradition in drum corps?

Yeah, man, I can't believe all those corps had the balls to bail on American Legion and form DCI.

Seriously, people. The only constant tradition in drum corps has been that it's a dynamic, changing activity.

Yeah, man, I can't believe all those corps had the balls to bail on American Legion and form DCI.

Seriously, people. The only constant tradition in drum corps has been that it's a dynamic, changing activity.

Drum corps isn't about "loud hornlines" or whatever music we're playing, or the uniforms or any of that crap. It always has and always will be about the members. That's the one thing that has never changed, esprit de corps and the level of passion from the members. That is what makes drum corps unique, not whatever sounds they're making. Narration, synthesizers, brass, saxophones and all, it's still drum corps. I think the traditions have always been more about attitude/aura and presence rather than "Oh we play G bugles and ONLY play G bugles".

Umm, no. On all accounts. East coast or you suck ?? I could give examples of this not being true from a yearly basis but its so untrue, it doesnt matter.

Yeah? When was the last time you performed in front of that crowd? Unless you're Cadets, Boston, or Crossmen, you can be prepared to have a crowd that sits on their hands.

Lines long ?? sure, on intermission, that happens everywhere.

Because of the layout here, though, the lines impede movement far more than they would at most other stadiums, creating an inconvenience for everyone else.

Upper tier is closed now.

Which is a big problem in and of itself. Of course, the judges still have to deal with being on that rickety thing, and I feel bad for them.

Food disgusting ?? how so ? The variety is great and many love that aspect of the venue.

I had a pizza this past year that (no hyperbole here) was of closer resemblance to a frisbee than to an actual pizza. Tasted like a frisbee, too. Had to believe I shelled out $7.00 bucks for that, but I didn't get a chance to get dinner, and every other place had a line that was so long there was no way I was going to get food at those places by the time a certain corps finished and another corps came on.

Oh, and the silliest, most far fetched of all ?? Wheelchair access...LOL LOL...one of the greatest venues in the entire country for wheelchair/handicapped access. Ever enter the stadium from the top instead of the bottom ?? The redesign was doe so with handicapped people in mind......did you know that ??

The fact is its highly accomodating to handicapped/wheelchair patrons.

~G~

Yes, I have been down the back entrance. I know that that is the "handicapped entrance," but would you like to be the poor bloke navigating your way down those hills in a wheelchair? You'd get burn marks on your hand trying not to lose control. Sorry, but I'll take any place that has an elevator followed by a small ramp to the wheelchair reserved seats over that decline. Definitely not one of the best places to to be with a wheelchair.

yeah, so the hill to the gate is no fun and corps parking is a mess down that little street, But could you imagine tour without going to J. Burney Crum?