Sunrisers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Thanks to Dick P, Tom, Joe, Terri, Sam, Harry, DCI HB, Bruce, Jeff, Frankie, Larry C, Contraphanatic, Findles, Cozy, Laura S, VO, Jeff P, Fran, John M, Smoothy, Scotty M, Andrea, Top Sop, Jim and Joe C!

We appriciate your comments and wishes. Thanks to all for a great season.

Luv,

John Clougher

Sunrisers 80 - ? :lookaround:

Got to meet some top class people Sunday....

From the Govies, The DM and a gentleman from the Pit that was in 75 MADISON...(one of my favorite all time corps)

Also guys from Boston Alumni, Alliance, Cru, St Kevins, Star, Eagles, Fusion, Sac, Renegades, So Cal Dream & others...

Ultimate Class and great people to talk to. Will be looking for ya'll if we can get out to a MW show in the future....

Yeah I know I am supposed to be retiring...for the 4th time...LOL.... well......I just keep playing to keep the chops up ,,,LOL,,,

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!...LOL....

John Clougher

Sunrisers 80 - ???

I truly do not know where to begin...this will take awhile, so grab a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy. I hope others will tell their stories, too...

After what was one of the most intense and emotionally draining 2 weeks of my life, the stars somehow lined up...I originally wasn't attending DCA weekend due to work issues, but the bosses at work actually gave me the weekend off--AT THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND!! Talk about scrambling to get to Rochester...I am now glad that I am on vacation this week!! (Ha-ha!!)

It has definitely been a very adventurous season, to say the least. From a very successful Open House, through the winter and spring where membership started dwindling at an alarming rate, putting the show together, gaining a couple of people here and there...making the sacrifice to march a spot when I really did not want to, having the drum line getting pushed/beat up/encouraged by the drum staff on a continuous basis...the corps performing the show for the first time in Bayonne, then at Clifton...more work, more work, more work...then Virginia...hearing the talk that people were already writing Sun off for the 2007 season just made everyone more determined to bust their collective butts to be ready for Kingston...performing at Kingston, and then having people come up to Sun to say how much they enjoyed the show! FINALLY, the corps has made true progress...more work, more work, more work...performances in Syracuse, followed by West Haven...finally, DCA weekend.

WHAT AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!

To be able to perform in Finals last Sunday evening was the goal the entire organization strived for!! You would think that there would have been a mad-crazy party back at the hotel when we found out Saturday evening that we actually MADE FINALS...well, to see security stationed on our floor when we arrived from Prelims pretty much took care of that!! (HA-HA!!!) Sunday morning's rehearsal did not start off too well, as tempers were flaring! Finals performance anxiety? Wanting to make sure this wasn't a fluke? I do not know...much thanks to Rich Guillen and Joe Roche for redirecting the entire corps to the task at hand...

BACK AT THE STADIUM...

Warm-ups...final thoughts...standing at the gate. I took the members of the battery aside to give them my final speech of the season--which also turned out to be my farewell speech. In all the years that I have marched and taught, I have never, ever broken down and cried...this time, I could not deny my emotions. I knew it would be the very last time that I would be marching in Sun, and I wanted to perform this show for everyone in the drum line, the entire corps, and the audience...

WHAT AN AMAZING PERFORMANCE!!

It all went by amazingly fast!! I knew that I had nothing left inside me...our director, Gary Williams, stated time and time again to the performers to leave it all on the field--you better believe, that is what every single performer did!! It was such a pleasure to have people come up to Sun and say how much they enjoyed the performance; then, to have this point driven home when they showed the video performance at the booth and even more people were telling us how great the show was? I personally wasn't prepared for all of the compliments, congratulatory handshakes, etc...

WHAT AN AMAZING RETREAT!!

By far, the most fun I have had ever!!! I need to take time to personally thank the following: major props go to the entire battery of So Cal Dream; Sun's favorite snare drummer--Kelly of The Renegades; the entire Irondale High School contingent of Minnesota Brass, Inc; everyone from The Hurricanes (much thanks for letting me borrow the tenor harness throughout DCA weekend!); Frontier DBC (who stayed in the same hotel!); everyone from Vic Firth and Dynasty; Gary Gill and Michele Stevens from Cabs; the drum staff of Brigs; Miranda of Brigs (glad you were there to sing Battle Hymn with us); all of the corps that congratulated Sun on our victory--all of you showed so much class as you made your way past us at the end of retreat, and again when we were marching back to our equipment truck: that is something we will never, ever forget! To Rich Hammond, Tollie Contento, Taryn Lietbag, Matt Spielman and everyone of the Reading Buccaneers: you are truly deserving of your victory! Thank you for sharing in Sun's as well--it is truly appreciated. A special thanks to everyone I know in Fusion: congratulations on a very successful first year. Thanks to Fran Haring: for all that you are going through at this time, your presence during the weekend was a great boost to all of DCA! Continued success for Barbara and her recovery--all of DCA is with you both! Thanks to the entire DCA staff, the city of Rochester, the Rochester Police Department and to the stadium staff for running a great Finals weekend.

FINALLY...

To everyone of the 2007 Sunrisers: staff, management, parental support and the membership; as well as to all the alumni: I cannot thank all of you enough for the love, friendship and support you have given me this entire season. As my marching career finally comes to a close, always remember the journey that we took from that Open House back in November of 2006 to where the journey ended: 2007 DCA Class A Champions! (Being a member of the 2007 Class A Percussion Champions is not a bad thing, either!! Ha-ha!!!!!)

AND FINALLY...

My last performance was dedicated to my entire family back home in Texas, as well as to the memory of my mom, who passed away 2 years ago. They have never seen me perform in the marching arts, but have always supported me in every way possible.

BATTLE HYMN!!!!!!!!

With much love, friendship and respect

Tex

BATTLE HYMN!!!!!!!!

With much love, friendship and respect

Tex

Tex,

Although I didn't march with you this year, I was there with you at the begining (1992). It was honor to have marched with you on and off during most of the '90's. (I can't believe it'll be 10 years since I did field corp next season - Hopefully, I'll be able to once again when the kids get old enough)

Anyway, you are good friend, member, and all around person and will be missed by around the corp.

Please stay in touch!!

My best to you and yours... ^OO^

Congrats Sun. BIG change from when I caught you guys way back at Clifton! You deserved this victory. Best of luck and see you on the field in 2008!!!

I truly do not know where to begin...this will take awhile, so grab a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy. I hope others will tell their stories, too...

After what was one of the most intense and emotionally draining 2 weeks of my life, the stars somehow lined up...I originally wasn't attending DCA weekend due to work issues, but the bosses at work actually gave me the weekend off--AT THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND!! Talk about scrambling to get to Rochester...I am now glad that I am on vacation this week!! (Ha-ha!!)

Tex, I'm really glad you could get there for the weekend.... you've been a great Sunriser for many years!!!!!

Fran