Cabs Open House 2008 - November 25th 2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we at, 17 days now? It really can't come fast enough.

(American Legion Post 199, 1 Legion Place, Hawthorne, NJ at 12 noon on Sunday, November 25th in case you've forgotten.)

You won't regret coming down. At least you'll come away with some new brass experience, at most, well, I guess if you asked Mike Ryan or Louie Storck, they might be able to give you an idea.

Quite a few people once told me between 10 and 12 years ago when I was with another team, that I would never regret my decision to be a Caballero.

I dismissed it, as I was loyal to that other team at the time.

I have thanked those people again, and again. And want to thank them again.

The people that came into my life more than 10 years ago:

Timmy Campbell, Frank Ponzo, Sean Glennon, Fran Alise (MacIntyre), Rose Cataneo, and Chris Mignemi.

The people that made me feel welcome and helped me make the decision to stay with the corps March 15-16, 2003:

Josh Katz (my Partner of Peeling Paint), Matt Dodd, Mike Durburow, Chris Fontanelle, Mark Spinney and Sean Glennon (Pain and Panic -- I love you like brothers and want to beat you like red headed step children! You are both amazing and great friends), Mike Longdo, Gary Gill, Louie Stork (thanks for the drink Louie!), John and Rob Gerdes, (for helping me truly understand what it means to don kickpleats and proving to you both that I wasn't "trouble"), Bobby Delaney, Brian Grilk.

God, the list goes on. But these people made it EASY to become a Caballero for my first year.

To really "get it", spend more than 3 years with my beloved Caballeros, and you will NEVER want to leave.

CABALLERO PRIDE!

Aw Laura that was so sweet (and mean at the same time, lol). You ARE Hawthorne! Have a great season!

Sean M. Glennon

U.S.M.C. D&B 91-93-Contra

Harrison Bushwackers 94-Contra

Hawthorne Caballeros 96-06-Contra/Mello

William Paterson Univ 03-B.M. Music Education-Horn

Hawthorne Alumni 05-Contra

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni 05, 07-Contra

2008 Retired (this time I mean it)

Yeah, WE all heard that before!!! LOL :P

Edited by JKatzmellophone

16 Days Be there....

I have had the opportunity of a lifetime. I have been able to perform in the greatest drum and bugle corps the world has ever known.... My father taught me that and who would I ever listen to but my father. It was pre-ordained that I march in the Cabs. Where else could I have had all the incredible opportunities I have had, except the Caballeros.

Maybe I was 5 or 6 years old when my father took me to Hawthorne to a rehearsal. It was the event that would change my life completely. I was at a place where somebody could get away with correcting my dad.

That's right it was Jim Costello telling my dad that he was,could it be, yes it was he was wrong...What an experience. This man had to be important. He had to be powerful. He was the man. What a day.... He istantly became my hero. LOL. Jump ahead some 12 years and I walk into American Legion post 199 in Hawthorne NJ and that same man is signing people up to become part iof the Caballeros.

Surely he would remember me I was the son of one of the guys he would conquer the Drum corps world with. Surely that would earn me a spot in the corps. It sure did. Here you go kid take a spot in the second row of baritones in the 4th baritone section. I have to tell you that's not what I expected. Preferential treatment? Friend of the family? Wow. I later found out that it was a favor for him to take in a kid to that corps. I learned years later that I hadn't even made the cut. He made sure I did.

The Caballeros are that sort of group that makes for stories like this. They have been my family since I can remember. Always there when I needed a hand. Always a place to become part of the family. The Caballeros are just that Family. As i read all these other stories from individuals that have become part of the legacy. It kind of makes me smile. Hey Jim get the next lifer a spot. Make sure he or she feels like part of the family. Mr Costello has passed on since I joined a few years back but the Legacy that Jim started is still there in people like Laura and Frank and Chas. They just keep that family spirit alive..

Helping to make the next Mike Ryan comfortable in the corps.......

Come be a part of the family. Come enjoy an experience that will change your life. Be a Caballero...

March next to, Learn from and be a part of the best. See you on November the 25th 2007 We are getting started on our 62nd year of creating memories. Hope you decide to take the jouney with us.

Thanks for sharing this moment

Sean M. Glennon

U.S.M.C. D&B 91-93-Contra

Harrison Bushwackers 94-Contra

Hawthorne Caballeros 96-06-Contra/Mello

William Paterson Univ 03-B.M. Music Education-Horn

Hawthorne Alumni 05-Contra

Bayonne Bridgemen Alumni 05, 07-Contra

2008 Retired (this time I mean it)

Yeah, WE all heard that before!!! LOL :P

Don't tempt me I'm down 35 pounds I know I can handle drill again! ^0^

Shawn what are the most famous words in Drum Corps! Not only with the Cabs but every Corps!

ONE MORE TIME

Edited by Rap48

Met a couple of Caballero people (The announcer of TOBs ACC's wife) at Dover High this morning, looking forward to this!

Don't tempt me I'm down 35 pounds I know I can handle drill again! ^0^

Hmm...I knew it! So you don't mean it. Liar!!! :o