DCI Telecast

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i admit it ~ i fell asleep. :(

but i was informed this morning that the Blue Devils still won. :huh: :lolhit: :doh:

I was kinda suprised ... Cadets were hot last night. :D :huh: :lolhit: :blush:

Edited by DCIHasBeen

What got me was the A.D.D that the producers seemed to have (and do every freakin' year) in that they are panning over a kickin' part of the show and then at a critical moment, the camera switches over to some other part of the show.

...makes me want to smack a cameraman...

After all of these years DCI still can't get it right?!?! :huh:

Dan

Edited by dsaeger

Watched the "delayed" broadcast last night.

It wasn't bad. However, I think Tom has to do a better job in scripting to set up the corps excerpts. "Total show" has been around for over three decades. Most shows can be divided into scenes or acts. Imagine walking into a stage presentation that you are not familiar with part-way through. If someone doesn't fill you in, you're lost.

On the PBS broadcasts, some feature segments were done by non-corps people (i.e. Bobby Knight). If DCI could convince some well-known young performer to spend a day or two with a corps and follow the corps' regimen, and then share their experience on camera, it might drive home the work and dedication that goes into performing at that level.

<a bit off topic>

I don't follow DCI, because in general I believe that they have contibuted to the demise of local corps as an activity for kids. So for me it was the first and ONLY time I watch DCI corps. I am NOT a Cadets fan. That being said, I thought the Cadets show was phenominal - and the narration didn't bother me at all because it FIT THE PROGRAM. I know that video isn't the best way to judge a corps, but based on what I saw on the broadcast they should have been on top.

<a bit off topic>

I don't follow DCI, because in general I believe that they have contibuted to the demise of local corps as an activity for kids. So for me it was the first and ONLY time I watch DCI corps. I am NOT a Cadets fan. That being said, I thought the Cadets show was phenominal - and the narration didn't bother me at all because it FIT THE PROGRAM. I know that video isn't the best way to judge a corps, but based on what I saw on the broadcast they should have been on top.

I agree.

After watching the other corps and what DCI has become, I don't understand all the complaining about Cadet narration. I didn't care for the show, but they were good and the narration fit. So if it had to be done, at least it was done well.

How can you look at what DCI allows now and draw the line at amps and narration? Who cares? It hasn't been drum and bugle corps for decades. They call it corps and I'm fine with that. It's not worth an argument. Corps have been shouting and vocalizing in different ways for years, so now they have mics.

It's all the other junk that bothers me.

I agree.

After watching the other corps and what DCI has become, I don't understand all the complaining about Cadet narration. I didn't care for the show, but they were good and the narration fit. So if it had to be done, at least it was done well.

How can you look at what DCI allows now and draw the line at amps and narration? Who cares? It hasn't been drum and bugle corps for decades. They call it corps and I'm fine with that. It's not worth an argument. Corps have been shouting and vocalizing in different ways for years, so now they have mics.

It's all the other junk that bothers me.

What things are DCI corps doing that you group under the term "junk"?

(I'm not arguing the use of the term. I'm just curious at what your objection is aimed.)