WGI Trivia

judeebee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Center Grove. Center Grove was the first Scholastic Champion in 1984 and has been in finals every year since, with a close call in 2003 (they were 15th with a 79). Miamisburg is a close 2nd. They made their first appearance a year after Center Grove, and they weren't in finals in 1990, but have been in every other year.

Center Grove was the first champion in the newly created Scholastic Class in 1984, previous to that the Scholastic Champion was the highest placing High School guard in Ind Open (World):

Holley HS 1978-1981

Marcus Whitman 1982

Canandaigua 1983

What is interesting is that Whitman and Canandaigua stayed in Ind. Open instead of going into the newly formed Scholastic Class in 1984...wonder what would have happend...

Whitman made Ind Open finals in 1983 and 84 and Canandaigua in 1983, 1984,1985, 1986..

: )

This is an approximate guess...

A California group, maybe the Raiders...

\

I second that one, I work with an ex-Raider and he told me he was in Raiders the first year they used a floor tarp, but he didn't mention what year that was. I'll see him at rehearsal tonight and can ask him though.

Center Grove. Center Grove was the first Scholastic Champion in 1984 and has been in finals every year since, with a close call in 2003 (they were 15th with a 79). Miamisburg is a close 2nd. They made their first appearance a year after Center Grove, and they weren't in finals in 1990, but have been in every other year.

Funny history and trivia about Miamisburg not in finals in 1990.. . it's because they didn't field a guard. The director at the time was so sick and tired of the drama in the guard and the unwillingness for the group to get along that she folded the guard for that season, I guess as a lesson to the girls. Miamisburg came back the next year to not only win the Gold, but to do it with one of the best and most memorable shows of WGI (Marilyn Monroe Show) I think to this day she still plays that card when there is arguing within the guard...."I folded this guard in 1990 and I won't be afraid to do it again." :-) Well, at least I know she did when she was the director a few years back! But I know she's still around the program!

Or so this is what I've been told about the 1990 season that wasn't!!! b**bs

The first guard to use a floor tarp was San Jose Raiders, at least to the best of my knowledge. I think it was in 1987 or 1988.