The Lost Art of stick work

One thing I have noticed as that I do not see the emphasis on stick work like I did when there were drum breaks, especially in the 80's. There is a lot more emphasis on body movement during the drum break during today's DC performances. Has anyone else noticed that?

I have,..................it seemd to have been replaced with monkey drumming,............you know,........... raising sticks over their heads to make it look like they are pounding the hell out of the drums, when actually it looks pretty childish to me,...............

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? Not an art? I guess that's why everyone's doing it; pick a year.

Ever wonder why the guys who win snare individuals, or even enter, have back sticking in their solos? Cause it's hard to do and not everyone can do it. Getting a whole line to do it, cleanly, is even more difficult.

Regards,

John Swartz

Everyones doing it...so that makes it an art?

No doubt its hard to do; even harder when you have a full line doing it. I didn't say it shouldn't be done or its stupid...just that I don't consider it an art.

That was a bit of sarcasm. My point was not everyone is doing it, or ever did. Mainly because there is an art to doing it. I guess if it's badly done one could say it's not artistic, but when done right there surley is art present.

No doubt its hard to do; even harder when you have a full line doing it. I didn't say it shouldn't be done or its stupid...just that I don't consider it an art.

There's backsticking, attempts, and then there's backsticking done right. Appreciating the art and the difference you either know, or don't know. It's no different than a roll that's clean, but with notes so thick you could walk on them, and something so crisp you can hear birds chirping in between the notes.

Fine craftsmanship produces art. If you don't understand or appreciate it, it's still art to the rest of us.

Regards,

John Swartz

That was a bit of sarcasm. My point was not everyone is doing it, or ever did. Mainly because there is an art to doing it. I guess if it's badly done one could say it's not artistic, but when done right there surley is art present.

There's backsticking, attempts, and then there's backsticking done right. Appreciating the art and the difference you either know, or don't know. It's no different than a roll that's clean, but with notes so thick you could walk on them, and something so crisp you can hear birds chirping in between the notes.

Fine craftsmanship produces art. If you don't understand or appreciate it, it's still art to the rest of us.

Regards,

John Swartz

Youre right, I don't understand much about percussion...sorry I chimed in. ;)

(Jeff Prosperie 2007)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKs1awHEsR0&NR=1 (Lee Rudnicki 2006)

I know, I know.... you've already seen these snare solos, and it's DCA, not DCI.... don't click if you don't want to...

Jeff Prosperie's solo is great, isn't it. Good stuff.

Please, elaborate. I must be misreading your post. Are you saying that any change in sound is bad? Even if it is intentional, and well done? Or just that it's easier to pick out improperly done backsticking? How do you define "better quality of sound" in the context of this argument? Do the drummers manipulate the physics of the drum heads in a similar fashion as a brass player might? Are you saying that drum corps are dropping "cool showy trick"s and focusing on technical skill? I must be misunderstanding you.

well typically yeah. change in sound is bad. because if you werent paying attention it grabs your attention as a mistake. you spend months creating and matching whatever sound your caption heads want and then you throw in sweet backsticking, and even if its clean the sound will thin on the backstick or go too dark or whatever... and depending on what/where you were playin in the show you could get a comment on a judge tape that says "wow guys i heard that a mile away" or "i really need more quality in that last tap." and sometimes they miss the visual entirely and they just hear what sounds like a mistake or a note out of context. so... realize im not saying that backsticking is dumb or not hard or not cool. but its basically a tossup of whethere or not a judge will buy it from show to show. making it pretty hard to be consistant.

if you notice, typically you only see it in solos where its clearly drumline focus time. because if you didnt maybe the judge wouldnt be paying as much attention and wouldnt get it. and since writers are focusing more on musicality and total picture you dont get as many opportunitys for drumlines to just park and ram for a while.

and ggarret, relax man, nobody said you werent good, or your sound quality sucked, or you had massive timing problems. we just said stuff is changing, and lines are finding easier or less compicated ways of doing things.

um.... do you play in the pit? have you ever marched in a snareline? if not, how can you comment on something you've never done? :sos: