ESPN Brocast

Okay, first off, I've had about enough with the negative comments on the ESPN2 finals broadcast. Yes, full shows would be better....we get the idea.

But.(considering most forum members on here are out of high school) Most of you don't really have an idea of how the broadcast reaches out and informs people that don't know what drum corps is.

On Thursday morning, at marching band rehearsal. There were about 30 kids that were talking about how the watched the broadcast(having no previous exposure to corps) and how they thought it was awesome.

(this is how the broadcast showing more than just full shows and having some informative material in the show comes in handy)

As i said before, those 30 kids had no previous idea of what drum corps was, so with all the little tid-bits of info they show(that takes away from time they could use showing the full show) they can inform some of these band kids about what exactly drum corps is, and maybe it'll spark a serious interest in a few of them (i've had 2 kids already talk to my friend who marched troopers this year about possibly marching). If they showed full shows and nothing else, there would be no way some of this information would be given out right then and there.

And as for it being on ESPN2. Thats just huge exposer right there! And as for how that can expose even more HS-aged kids.....

I honestly don't know how many high school aged kids that when flipping through channels for something to watch, check PBS for whats on there. I know(from personal experience) that espn and espn2 are usually the main channels flipped too. And again, if a random flip to espn2 creates a serious interest in drum corps...then the broadcast being on espn2 as apposed to pbs has already benefited the activity!

So yes, the EPSN2 showing may not be as good as the PBS showing was for us obsessed hardcore drum and bugle corps fans. But for the person thats unaware of drum corps, or maybe just wants to know what it is...I think the ESPN2 showing works #### well!

And honestly, I really dont think that espn2 showing is even intended for us hardcore fans(cause after all, we do go as far as to paying 20$ to watch drum corps over the internet a few times in the season). It seems more link an informative program or an 'advertisement'(for lack of a better term) for the activity.

But thats just my opinion...and i'll probably get flammed for it...cause DCP is cool like that....

[opinionated rant mode off]

RE: The Rose Bowl

That freakin' field looks nothing today like it did the week of DCI.

Huh?

Wait, did you watch UCLA play today?

The game is on now. The difference in the appearance of the field is pretty stunning.

I'm talking to a friend who said he saw the ESPN show and liked it. He said it was entertaining and that he'd go to a show next summer! I'm pretty pumped about that since he didn't go see me perform..lol! I don't have cable so I didn't see the broadcast, but I hope it works in bringing some new interest to the activity.

I don't think the broadcast was bad at all this year. Last year either (though I thought it was a little heavy on guard coverage then. Much better now ...) However, I still prefer the 5/6 live format from <mid-90's era. Even then, there was still room for behind the scenes stuff. (Like the On the Road Again montage) I agree that that stuff is important--played a part in my wanting to march as well. People are getting sidetracked a little, IMO. Switching from the live format to the taped delay format wasn't to enable behind the scenes stuff--more to fit it in with ESPN, from what I've gatherd. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.) Honestly, a LOT of the pro-live camp ("I believe in choice" :P ) haven't been that negative in their comments. Just that they prefered it the other way. No biggie. I still watch and enjoy. I realize that plenty of other people would apparently prefer not to see it live--that's cool.

At this point, it's pretty reasonable to assume that it's not coming back agian. Agian--no biggie. (Just drum corps. (Not like we're talking about losing SSN benefits!) I would still like to suggest that they offer the paid theater broadcast for Finals as well as Quarters. To me, it would be a win-win situation for both DCI and the fans.