Bluecoats Mellophones

At the Stanford show, I was taken aback by how outstanding the Bluecoats Mellophones sounded.

What instruments and mouthpieces did the section use in 2007?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any more details on the mouthpiece (cup, rim, backbore)?

the hammond mouthpieces this year were a different model than the '06 ones (i could be wrong, but i think crown/phantom/scv/maybe spirit all used our 2006 mouthpieces this year).

truly appreciated, thanks so much. we're a much more contextual section than corps like the cadets have by nature of design, so its really good to hear that people listened closely and took note of what we were doing.

Any more details on the mouthpiece (cup, rim, backbore)?

i dont know the specific details well enough to give you the answers youre looking for....i'd suggest posting on the forum at bluecoats.com, you could probably get a response within a day at the most of you posting it.

(i can take a picture of the mouthpiece and post it if youre interested.)

amazing job at the end of one more time chuck corea on the bd alumni and friends cd by the way, that was unbelievable.

Thanks for the suggestion (and for the kind words about my playing).

For those of you who don't know what Jared is referring to, the Blue Devils Alumni and Friends CD is a great disc of music contributed by Alums of the corps. Our French Horn Alumni recorded a number of ensembles, one of which was One More Time Chuck Corea, which I had always wanted to hear on Horn. On the last note of the tune, I played a short cadenza that ended on a High E concert, which is a double B on Horn. My teacher tells me it is the highest note ever recorded by a Horn player on a commercial album, but I don't know - Jerry Peel did some amazing stuff.

Anyway - buy the album - it's great, it supports BD and it's on sale for less than ten bucks! Click here to check it out.

Edited by randomnoise

Hey look! It's Jared! (sorry so grainy... I was kinda far away...)

100_0519.jpg

Lisle, IL

im assuming its the quality of the picture that makes it look like my eyes are closed...

im assuming its the quality of the picture that makes it look like my eyes are closed...

no I'm thinking you were just so into the beautiful sound the mello's were making that you were closing your eye's and saying "man, we're awesome!" ...

:lolhit:

yeah... probably the fact I had to blow this way up ... or maybe you blinked! :grouphug: