Bluecoats Mellophones

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mellos were awesome this year. I remember my friend told me about this one run that I didn't hear before. I was wonddering what it was. When I went back to the video, I heard the mellos ripping into the upper register, turns out the ending note was a concert G, high D on the mellophone for those tranposing-challenged.

That rocked my sock! :grouphug:

P.S They apparently took the run down an octave later in the season though. :( Was it taken out all together for finals?

Thanks for the suggestion (and for the kind words about my playing).

For those of you who don't know what Jared is referring to, the Blue Devils Alumni and Friends CD is a great disc of music contributed by Alums of the corps. Our French Horn Alumni recorded a number of ensembles, one of which was One More Time Chuck Corea, which I had always wanted to hear on Horn. On the last note of the tune, I played a short cadenza that ended on a High E concert, which is a double B on Horn. My teacher tells me it is the highest note ever recorded by a Horn player on a commercial album, but I don't know - Jerry Peel did some amazing stuff.

Anyway - buy the album - it's great, it supports BD and it's on sale for less than ten bucks! Click here to check it out.

I've heard a lot of stuff from that album- that's some of the best horn playing I've ever heard. ^OO^

Thanks for the suggestion (and for the kind words about my playing).

For those of you who don't know what Jared is referring to, the Blue Devils Alumni and Friends CD is a great disc of music contributed by Alums of the corps. Our French Horn Alumni recorded a number of ensembles, one of which was One More Time Chuck Corea, which I had always wanted to hear on Horn. On the last note of the tune, I played a short cadenza that ended on a High E concert, which is a double B on Horn. My teacher tells me it is the highest note ever recorded by a Horn player on a commercial album, but I don't know - Jerry Peel did some amazing stuff.

Anyway - buy the album - it's great, it supports BD and it's on sale for less than ten bucks! Click here to check it out.

OMGosh. I heard the 30 second clip of one more time. Wicked!

First: Jared, you look nothing avatar. heh.

Chris: When are you putting out a horn ensemble CD? A full CD would sell. Every hornist I've played it for flips out.

The mellos were awesome this year. I remember my friend told me about this one run that I didn't hear before. I was wonddering what it was. When I went back to the video, I heard the mellos ripping into the upper register, turns out the ending note was a concert G, high D on the mellophone for those tranposing-challenged.

That rocked my sock! :grouphug:

P.S They apparently took the run down an octave later in the season though. :( Was it taken out all together for finals?

yowza.

i can hit that, but after playing a whole show.....

x_x

and this is why i'm not bothering to audition for coats this year.

Any more details on the mouthpiece (cup, rim, backbore)?

On the Hammond website (http://www.karlhammonddesign.com/educate.php:

Bluecoats

This mellophone mouthpiece is exclusive to the Bluecoats and is based on our 6 diameter rim with a 20 throat and V-cup but does have a slight contour in the bottom of the cup for control. These pieces are a heavyweight version of the 6MP.

6MPh

Hope this helps!!

yowza.

i can hit that, but after playing a whole show.....

x_x

and this is why i'm not bothering to audition for coats this year.

Actually, I believe it's towards the end of the opener. On the video I saw, it was 3:15, give or take.