Those unhappy with narration, woodwinds, et al...

Yes, keeping them smaller is the way to go.

The concept of a sound ripping my face off just sounds like bad playing. You can still have loud, full, lush sounds from a drum corps with woodwinds and other instruments. Any decent music ensemble I would hope would know how to achieve these different levels of color and dynamics. Drum corps is more about doubling up than loud chainsaw brasslines.

This is sad.......I like Mike D very much , but I also am not a fan of narration. Frankly I think its here to stay. I can't see the BOD changing the use of electronics at all. My choice is to support DCA but I will still attend some DCI shows. I also sent in a "complaint" but it was stated in a civil manner. As said before , I enjoy talking to MikeD and I always will.

-Bill

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see you write to Dave Gibbs, George Hopkins and Jeff Fiedler and tell them that they are playing badly. I want to see you tell those music majors in their hornlines, that they are playing badly. I want to be there when you do. :blink:

I go to school with kids from all of those corps, great musicians. You're still kind of missing my point. I'm poking anyone in the eyes and saying, "YOU DON'T BELONG HERE". You are responding to this way to strongly.

You kind of missed my point. There are more corps besides the top 6 or whatever for one. Reduce the size of hornlines and they'll sound better. More concentration of talented players, even in the "lower" corps. It's foolproof.

I don't think I missed the point, unless you didn't express it well. You said that 72 man hornlines sound like poop. Not some 72 man hornlines. For those lower placing corps, they could cut their 20 worst players if they wanted to and still wouldn't have to add woodwinds. Your foolproof plan remains intact that way, no?

I don't think I missed the point, unless you didn't express it well. You said that 72 man hornlines sound like poop. Not some 72 man hornlines. For those lower placing corps, they could cut their 20 worst players if they wanted to and still wouldn't have to add woodwinds. Your foolproof plan remains intact that way, no?

No, every corps has their 20 worst players. You act as if the Blue Devils hand pick all of their musicians from the finest of New York conservatories. Sorry man, but they've got lemons too. Every corps does. But we're veering grossly off topic.

Narration is the bee knees

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I go to school with kids from all of those corps, great musicians.

But let's cut one-third of them and replace them with clarinets and they will sound better?

You're still kind of missing my point.

I must be dense, so, what is your point, exactly?

I'm poking anyone in the eyes and saying, "YOU DON'T BELONG HERE".

I don't know what you mean by this.

You are responding to this way to strongly.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You made a statement and I called you on it. Now, I'm not sure if you are trying to defend it (corps need to replace their worst brass players with woodwinds) or backing down from it (the higher placing corps 72 man lines are OK).

I'm confused :doh::doh::blink:

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Serious question... would adding WW increase our fanbase? I mean, did electroncs increase our fanbase?

No, every corps has their 20 worst players. You act as if the Blue Devils hand pick all of their musicians from the finest of New York conservatories. Sorry man, but they've got lemons too. Every corps does. But we're veering grossly off topic.

Narration is the bee knees

Sure every corps has their worst players. The Boston Symphony Orchestra has their 20 worst players. The New York Philharmonic has their 20 worst players. What does that mean?

If you cut the 20 worst players, a new 20 become the worst players. If you have only 20 players, the 20 best are the 20 worst.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Exactly. 40 brass, 40 WWs.

Problem solved, to an extent.

Somehow I think, say, Phantom's "worst" trumpet player is still "better" than a lot of trumpet players in the country. How does cutting him/her make sense? If a corps' "worst" is one of the "best"... ... ... :blink:

Serious question... would adding WW increase our fanbase? I mean, did electroncs increase our fanbase?

Did R&B groups in the 50s raise their fanbase by adding electric guitars and using a lot of distortion to become rock groups. This answer is yes.

Sure every corps has their worst players. The Boston Symphony Orchestra has their 20 worst players. The New York Philharmonic has their 20 worst players. What does that mean?

To their credit, they don't have amateur musicians in their ranks. In drum corps' case it would be all of them.