Competition or entertainment

The more competitive it gets, the more entertaining I find DCA to be.

I applaud the variety within the circuit: Open, A, Mini, it makes not a difference.

I have seen a good many corps--at all levels, over the years--who claim to be "entertainers," and present a sloppy, poorly wrought show. Fans invariably boo when the scores are announced. I have witnessed corps try to effect "artsy" shows and fail miserably because they're not flat good enough to execute the books properly.

I am proud, and lucky, to have covered DCA Finals for Drum Corps World for the past 12 years. I know what you're thinking: big deal.

Unlike the majority of this august group, I cannot be a fan of any corps. Yes, some corps captivate me in various years, and I try to give them props, regardless of scores. However, the way the activity is set up precludes harsh criticism. The players are amateurs; they are devoting tons of time and energy to march drum corps.

If I ever printed the quotes I have received from various DCA (and DCI) players, judges, corps staff and administrators, it would cause huge rumblings in this activity. Trust me on this. Perhaps this is off topic.

Simply put: if you erase the competition, then, at least for me, the entertainment level plummets.

I said this in my Finals article: The Crusaders this year were the best tenth-place DCA corps I have ever seen. I think this speaks volumes about how the DCA model has progressed.

The best competitive unit I saw all weekend, however, was Star United. I have never seen any drum corps, junior or senior, approach this level of excellence. Period. It was one of the best muscial presentations I have ever witnessed: any venue, any genre.

Okay, I feel better now.

Ace

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more competitive it gets, the more entertaining I find DCA to be.

Simply put: if you erase the competition, then, at least for me, the entertainment level plummets.

Ditto.

I can watch anyone's show once per season and appreciate it, but as a fan, that's not what keeps me coming back week after week - it's witnessing that amazing transformation from June to Labor Day Weekend. This year was exceptional, but I can't remember any year championships ceased to amaze me.

Speaking to comments by both Ace and Dennis...........I believe it's the competitive nature that drives the creative, therefore the entertainment value. Different folks appreciate different modes in the activity, but the need to improve the product to make it the best it can be withing the genre it represents, during the journey to Championships is why I enjoy seeing as many corps as I can all during the season.

Just my humble opinion

J

Well, what I mean by writing 'yes' was.....

I do it for the entertainment and the competition!

:)

I have had the privilege of being with very entertaining corps and very competitive corps. And although some of my fondest memories come from seasons with corps that were not necessarily at the highest echelons of competion, it is always most fun when you are both competitive and entertaining!

I think that's why I really enjoy arranging now more than I did 10 years ago!

I know that is why I really enjoyed watching nearly all of Prelims (sorry guys, I did not get there until Sunrisers went on!) and seeing just how great alot of Corps are doing and how well designed and thought out a lot of Corps shows are!

A very smart guy once told me, "You don't go fishing just to stand in the water", so yeah, you want to catch some fish......however, I also want to fishing with friends, and not all alone in the river! See what I mean?

(I am just starting to see what I mean!)

:blink:

Thanks for reading.

Peace,

Dennis

It's all about capturing the attention of the audience.

If you can send them out of the stadium, at the end of the show, whistling your music,you've won.

If you send them to the concession stand or smoking area, during your show, you've lost.

Individually we all have something specific that we love about each corps.

Corps are out there to entertain the audience, not a hand full of judges.

You know when you've done your job right by the reaction of the crowd.

I love great music and exciting visual effects.

Mostly I love coming back year after year and getting to hear all of you play and get to know all of you.

Dear world of drum corps

Do you go to shows to entertained?

or do you go for the excietment of the competition?

Both. Like any other sporting event (football, baseball, hockey), I like both the entertainment factor and competition factor of them. If I wasn't entertained, then why would I want to watch them.

Well, what I mean by writing 'yes' was.....

I do it for the entertainment and the competition!

:)

I have had the privilege of being with very entertaining corps and very competitive corps. And although some of my fondest memories come from seasons with corps that were not necessarily at the highest echelons of competion, it is always most fun when you are both competitive and entertaining!

I think that's why I really enjoy arranging now more than I did 10 years ago!

I know that is why I really enjoyed watching nearly all of Prelims (sorry guys, I did not get there until Sunrisers went on!) and seeing just how great alot of Corps are doing and how well designed and thought out a lot of Corps shows are!

A very smart guy once told me, "You don't go fishing just to stand in the water", so yeah, you want to catch some fish......however, I also want to fishing with friends, and not all alone in the river! See what I mean?

(I am just starting to see what I mean!)

Thanks for reading.

Peace,

Dennis

Very well put ....I agree...

I go for the entertainment. However, I realize that the competition pushes the corps to be more entertaining.

IOW, entertainment is better with the competition, but competition is nothing without the entertainment.

To all who took the time to comment.

:mmm:

Thanks, I O U 1