DCI 1986

On SoA's guard - Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the handiwork of Scott Chandler.

Now I'm gonna' have to go home and watch the dvd again just to see Star's 18 contras.

Yep SOA was taught by Scott Chandler in '86. He had a great run with that guard before moving on the Blue Devils, and well, we all know how great their guard is!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually preferred their 1985 show - I thought that it was a real departure for them and really great.

Later,

Mike

I agree with that! The 85 show is one of my favorite BD shows ever. Really, really good and different. They were just on another planet from a performance perspective in 86.

Edited by jwscv87

The DVD only. In 1986 I did not even know what drum corps was.

OK, I saw them live in Evansville, and all I can say is that they had the fans absolutely screaming. I really enjoyed them that year, but have to say that for all out "scream your lungs out" GE, BD's '82 show ranks at the top of my list. The only thing I didn't like about their '86 show is that the ending didn't feel like an ending to me. Musically, it sounded more like the closing strains of a concert number.

I seem to be in the minority but Cadets '86 show is one of my all time favorites. I'll admit that I didn't care for it when I first saw it - due mainly to the lack of guard. But I came to appreciate it more with each viewing, especially when I first saw it from up high.

Overall, I thought '86 was kind of flat.

To each, her own, I guess.

RES