DCI 1986

In 1096,

Back, back to the true beginnings of drum corps.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you liked 86, try to see 76. The tenors lugged that rig for the whole show.

Not to mention 'Legend of the One-eyed Sailor' & 'Chase the Clouds Away', both w/ Bonnie Ott mellophone solos.

You kidding? That is my favorite show (next to, oddly enough, '84 Garfield).

Having the 1986 Legacy DVD, I agree with Guardguy. 1986 BD was another lesson in sterile, safe drum corps. Yes, it was clean enough to win, but again, without taking many chances and without much of a wow factor at all.

Did you see them live? Or are you basing your opinion solely on watching the Legacy DVD? Not criticizing - just asking.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

Did you see them live? Or are you basing your opinion solely on watching the Legacy DVD? Not criticizing - just asking.

The DVD only. In 1986 I did not even know what drum corps was.

Having the 1986 Legacy DVD, I agree with Guardguy. 1986 BD was another lesson in sterile, safe drum corps. Yes, it was clean enough to win, but again, without taking many chances and without much of a wow factor at all.

1986 BD was anything but sterile. I can't imagine many folks who saw them live would agree that they didn't have much of a wow factor. They certainly WOW'd me!

I saw them live alot that year. We were on the same tour schedule as them 2nd tour. I really don't want this to become a big deal. It's just my impression of the show - and I know alot of people who worship this show. Just not my cup of tea.

I actually preferred their 1985 show - I thought that it was a real departure for them and really great.

Later,

Mike

Thoughts on 86:

BD was wicked clean .. and the hornline was one of the darkest and in tune lines of the era. You could tell they were loaded with talent that year. Drumline ... HA! Nothing needs to be said.

SCV .. I thought they won hands down .... until about 4 years later when I wised up a bit and educated myself. How I loved that corps and that show ... still do. But BD had it hands down.

Cavies: The beginning of the modern era. Interesting percussion parts, great involvement with the pit, exciting hornline (where has that gone?) and the killer Brubaker drill.

Garfield: The recordings don't do the sound of the hornline justice. The closer stunk but I really dig the overall design and concept of the show.

Suncoast: WOW!!! Killer killer KILLER! Bass drums anyone? Drum solo? R.W. Smith in his prime! I just wish they had the guard from 88 and 89. They could have owned!

Spirit: Flat on finals night. They definitely peaked. Like others have said, the guard was way ahead of their time.

Madison: One of their most under-appreciated shows. Harlem Suite was a masterpiece of arranging. They were a bit sloppy and that's what put them in 7th. But the writing was exquisite. Starlight Express .. one of my all time favorite closers. Cool pit parts ... beautiful hornline sound ... and the MELLOS!!!!

Star: What incredible brass arranging and sound production. The drumline sounded a bit too much like 27th of old and the parts didn't always fit the brass book. Zingali drill was unique to the corps, which surprised me.

Sky Ryders: My favorite show and corps of the summer. The show was a bit simplistic but it was pretty darn clean and FUN FUN FUN! Who's hornline did you borrow for Somewhere over the Rainbow? Holy crap that was the best moment of the summer for me ... those final 60 seconds of the show. BRAVO!!

Phantom: I only have 1 thing to say. BRING BACK FRENCH HORNS!!!!! That entire midvoice section was complete comprised of Frenchies. No Mellos. What a dark and unique sound they had.

Troopers: Great show .. the sunburst owned. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a Cavalry veteran in the stands ... and listened to him sing the words to Prayer of Thanksgiving. What a great moment. I long for the day that Troopers return to this level of performance and quality arranging.

VK: I'll refrain from commenting. Thank goodness for 87 and beyond.

Edited by supersop

1986 BD was anything but sterile. I can't imagine many folks who saw them live would agree that they didn't have much of a wow factor. They certainly WOW'd me!

No biggie. Just like this year some people adore the show while many of us find it boring.

No biggie. Just like this year some people adore the show while many of us find it boring.

Don't you mean: "..many people adore this show, while some of us find it boring..?"