The Academy

They seem to have a very well run organization, which should be a strong selling point to their existing membership to not want to leave. I certainly met enough of the folks from The Academy this past summer, and they all had the same things to say about their corps - nothing but praise on how everything was run. I met several of their volunteers at different shows as well - very nice folks. I am sure they will have no trouble attracting and retaining members.

There are always some people that will jump ship for a higher placing corps, but I think they are probably the minority. If you offer a good experience with a challenging and fun program to perform with quality education,from the staff, why would the kids want to leave for an unknown?

I'm not sure they owe anything to anyone else, though. I believe they built that drum corps from the ground up and will continue towards more success. I look forward to their 2008 production being another step up from the fantastic 2007 season.

So no one misunderstands me I'm an official Academy honk and have volunteered for the upcoming season. On this board I try to be more realistic and not so ... honk-ish? For years corps shows would blow through town to strong audiences and we'd all ask ourselves why we couldn't have a corps of our own. People would start one up but without any experience actually growing a corps from the ground up. They failed. But the corps shows would still come through town and we'd ask ourselves the same questions over and over. Without those tours I don't think it would've been something Academy organizers could've rallied support to even start Stage 1. We wouldn't have been asking ourselves that question for 30 years.

That's all I was trying to say and I didn't mean to discount the hard work and ingenuity it took to get where they are today. Obviously they've earned their stripes so to speak.

Someone mentioned Academy benefits from being in Phoenix metro area, and I'd have to agree there, too. There's ~ 6 million people in Arizona, and ~ 2/3rds live in Phoenix. It's a six hour drive to greater LA, a 10 hour drive to Denver, and 12 hour drive to the Bay. They're far enough away that it's always made sense (to me, anyway) that Phoenix had plenty of people to support at least a lower-division corps just in locals, and we're isolated enough that we're not competing with other corps' local draw. Yep, I think it's always been a good place to start one, we were just waiting for the right people to do it, I guess.

NO the Academy is not Spirit, or Vanguard or Devils or Cadets or Cavaliers or anyone else.

The Academy is The Academy, they have there own beliefs, philosophy, and ideals. Mark and his staff, and the board of directors have a set rule book by which the corps will be guided by.

Time will tell the story of The Academy, the rest of you sit back and relax, and enjoy the show!