Scoring from the same sheets

drumcat

Scoring sheets during Open-only competition  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Read first entry before voting -- Open Division should use the same scoring system and sheets as World

• No - Use different sheets for Open!
    • Yes - Use the same sheets for Open!

READ THIS FIRST - it's not about head-to-head.

This poll question is meant to be strictly about "the sheets". Do you feel that it is better to judge from the same scoring sheets as current World Division corps, or should the Open Division have sheets tailored to their achievement levels.

What I hope is that no one says "I want them on the same sheet so that they can compete together." THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION HERE. I am assuming a very important point -- this question is not about whether they can or cannot compete head-to-head.

REPEAT: This question is not about whether Open and World should compete head-to-head.

If you believe that Open and World should compete head-to-head, we assume that they would do so on "World sheets".

The current situation, as of right now, is that for Finals competition as of 2003, the World/D1 corps do not allow Open/2/3. This question assumes that the situation will not change, and is asking whether it is a benefit to either all use the same criteria for judging, or if specified criteria should be used for the Open Division. Please answer accordingly, and PLEASE include why you think the way you do!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

What it would accomplish, in the eyes of some, is the chance for David to beat Goliath.

I don't understand what this would accomplish.

That's an absolute yes on my behalf. That's why DCA corps are judged on DCA sheets when they preform at DCI events......so they have something to compare the results to. Same thing with the open class. If they're judged on the same sheets they'll have a barometer to go by instead of having to guess and wonder where they "stack up".

If...as some have projected on here all the time...the Div. II/III corps could beat some of the current Div. Is what would they have to lose by going to the same sheets. Right now it's all a guessing game. If all corps were on the same sheets, we'd fin out really here these corps would stand versus Pioneer, Troopers, etc.

Here's how it used to be....and i kind of liked it that way.

If a division II/III corps was competing at a division I show, they would be scored on div I sheets. At some of these shows, the div II/III corps did end up beating some div I corps. If there was a div II/III show, they would be judged completely on div II/III sheets.

Finals week would come along, and II/III would have their own prelims and finals. The top 5 scores from finals would be allowed to go on and compete in division I quarterfinals where many times some of the division I corps would get beaten. There was even a situation where a lowly division II corps would make semi's(gasp!)

Personally i feel that there should be separate sheets. WGI has been using A/Open/World classifications for some time now. Each classification has different sheets appropriately designed for the skill sets of the groups competing within those classifications. There have previously been world class groups that did not have the skill level to truly be in world class and they have been moved down to open. The same has happened for Open class groups that are better than their original classification and they eventually get bumped up to World.

I think this should start to creep into DCI as well. Regardless of how long you are on the road, their are (and have been in the past) division II or III corps that are truly better than some division I corps.

Just because you are a division I corps, you should not immediately be deemed a World Class corps. Same goes for II/II. If you have the skill set, regardless of size or amount of touring, you should be World Class. Same goes for Open

READ THIS FIRST - it's not about head-to-head.

This poll question is meant to be strictly about "the sheets". Do you feel that it is better to judge from the same scoring sheets as current World Division corps, or should the Open Division have sheets tailored to their achievement levels.

What I hope is that no one says "I want them on the same sheet so that they can compete together." THIS IS NOT THE QUESTION HERE. I am assuming a very important point -- this question is not about whether they can or cannot compete head-to-head.

REPEAT: This question is not about whether Open and World should compete head-to-head.

If you believe that Open and World should compete head-to-head, we assume that they would do so on "World sheets".

The current situation, as of right now, is that for Finals competition as of 2003, the World/D1 corps do not allow Open/2/3. This question assumes that the situation will not change, and is asking whether it is a benefit to either all use the same criteria for judging, or if specified criteria should be used for the Open Division. Please answer accordingly, and PLEASE include why you think the way you do!

Unfortunately, as much as you want me to ignore the topic of whether Open Class and World Class should compete head to head...I can't if I'm going to answer your question because my opinion on this issue hinges on that very issue. The way I see it, the only logical purpose for having the same sheets would be for head to head comparison. So, if the two classifications are going to allow head to head competition such as the inclusion of a certain number of Open Class corps to be allowed to compete in World Class quarters, semis or finals, then yes. I think it would make the most sense to use the same sheets. But if the two classes are not going to allow head to head competition (and as I understand it now after further research, they probably won't) then NO. There would be no reason to have the same sheets unless there would be head to head competition.

Edited by dsb2007

Why do these corps need to know if they can beat Pioneer or not? Does it really matter? From a former member's perspective, I'd rather end my season in the 90s striving for a 99 then end it in the high 70s-low 80s striving to see how we "stack up"...

Well, I think some people have more than just a comparison to Pioneer in mind. Look at Blue Stars and Academy. Both former Division II/III corps who made a serious run for finals their very first year in Division I. I think if you looked corps like Spartans and Jersey Surf this past year, they would probably make the same run. At the very least, they would be FAR ahead of Pioneer. I don't think you are giving the top Division II/III corps enough credit if you think their level would only be comparable to Pioneer. Though again as I said in my previous post, just "knowing how you stacked up" would not be enough for me. If they were going to use the same sheets, I would want to see corps at the top of Open Class have their shot to make a head to head run at the elite level of World Class or having the same sheets would be pointless.

Edited by dsb2007