I've finally seen the light.

I don't know why it took me so long to actually figure this out, but I just had an epiphany which made everything clear.

I WANT drum corps to return to using G bugles. Bb seems unnecessary. I mean, for one thing, the extra valve is just confusing. For another, they project better. I'm far more concerned about how loud a drum corps is than I am about standardization of brass pedagogy for students across multiple performance venues, or about corps having quality horns to play on with less intonation and timbral problems. And on the subject of volume...

I WANT drum corps to return to playing loud, all the time. Dynamics are boring, I don't go to drum corps shows to feel like I'm at the opera trying to take a nap. I want loud, in my face, pulse-pounding drum corps at all times.

I WANT drum corps to return to playing music which I recognize, which I already know, which I can walk out of the stadium whistling. Now you may ask yourself "But mistofflies, how can you already recognize the music unless you've heard it before, and for that matter, you always have to hear something for the first time!" Ignore the obvious paradox, what I'm trying to say is this: drum corps is NOT the place to introduce new music. I want every show to be arranged from music by Michael Jackson and Maynard Ferguson, with Malagnuena or "When a Man Loves a Woman" as the closer. I will not accept anything less....except Phantom, I guess they can play classical stuff as long as they're just LOUD ALL THE TIME.

I DON'T WANT drum corps to use amplification. If I can't hear it from the top of the auditorium without artificial means, I don't NEED to hear it. I don't care if you have to break the instrument and use poor technique or limit all the pit parts to unisons, amplification is the cheap way out.

I DON'T WANT drum corps to use narration. First of all, I don't want a show explained to me. I'm not no idiot, I can figure it out. 'Specially when you play music I already know. Who needs someone to talk them through Malaguena? I sure as hell don't. And seeing as that's obviously the only way human voice could be used in an amplified manner, I'm opposed to it. Of course, if amps were illegal we wouldn't have to worry about miced vocals, now would we?

I DON'T WANT drum corps to legalize electronics. I've been to Wal-Mart and I've seen those little $99 Casios they have down there. First off, we don't want drum corps to turn out like this episode of family guy, do we? Huh, do we? We all know that's what would happen. Second, the financial burden would be unbearable. What if they used the keyboards with the build-in speakers? If we succeed in making amps illegal again, then the poor kid (pretending) to play it will have to jump up and down on it to make it louder!! At least, I think that's how those things work...I'm not really sure...

I DON'T WANT drum corps to legalize the use of woodwinds. We all know that woodwinds are the lovechild of Lucifer and Bob Hope, so I don't really feel the need to go any further into why woodwinds shouldn't be used.

Basically, drum corps is not marching band. It's not orchestra. It's not a rock band. It is, however, a sport...very much like soccer or football. Don't ask me to explain how, I'm not really sure yet...but I feel it to be true in my heart.

I'm officially renouncing my wayward path and joining the coalition of stagnation...where do I enlist?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, maybe I should have made a poll instead?

oooo..I like polls...because they show the true width and depth of the entire drum corps nation!

They're delightful!

Ooh, how about poll dances?