If Spartans or Jersey Surf go Division I/World Class

Where would Spartans and Jersey Surf place?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. For Spartans

• 10-12
    • 12-14
    • 14-17
    • Below 17 - not in semis
  2. 2. For Jersey Surf

• 10-12
    • 12-14
    • 14-17
    • Below 17 - not in semis

And not to sound insulting or demeaning to anyone, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, drum corps is already "minor league". It is a fringe activity when compared to most sports or music based types of entertainment.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted both of them out of semifinals. It's the same argument that is made every year about the top 2 open class corps. where would they have fallen in world class? well, I used to think that there was a chance that we (ECJ) would have made semifinals had we been allowed to try in 2004 and 2005. I mean, we got a 97.475 in 2005, that's pretty high right? Not really. we may have been able to squeak into semis, but probably not. and I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that the Spartans and Jersey Surf of 2007 were no better than the Spartans or ECJ of 2004 or 2005. Good corps? definitely. Corps with designs good enough to be a legitimate contender in world class? not so sure.

and yes, I saw both corps this past year, and thoroughly enjoyed both shows.

I also think you're underestimating your 06 corps. I only saw 05 on DVD once and don't remember it, never saw 04, but ECJ 06 was, IMO, very underrated, and I don't even enjoy jazz that much. That first hit after the solos, believe it or not, was one of my favorite drum corps hits ever. Really. I thought Spartans this year were not as good Academy or ECJ in 06 and maybe about on par with their 06 corps. Surf, I saw too early in the season to make any real judgement, plus I don't remember much of their show. Can't wait to see it on the DVD though.

For some reason, I feel like Surf will do better than Spartans in Div I. I think Surf's momentum will really carry them, whereas Spartans have always been at this level and I don't think they have as much momentum as Surf. With that said, I don't think either one will do as well as Academy or Blue Stars did in their first years.

A show that wows in open, will still wow in world. Will the make finals, i say no. Do they have a shot at making semis, don't count them out. The main thing is to not be be stagnant after their debut. If they can continue to step their game up year after year, then they can become a staple in the world class. So a better question might be where they will be placing in 5 years after joining world ranks. I was talking to a member of a world finalist corps who didn't seem to like the idea of a division 2 corps being able to bump them out of finals, yet if that show is better why do they deserve that spot? I think this new division naming should be managed in a simialar way to 2/3. All corps are eligable for the world championship. Member corps still get the benefits of being members but when it comes to the field let the best corps win. The open corps who places the highest gets that championship. I'm not saying that any open corps would ever win it all, but give everyone a shot. Even sheets, or at least if you keep seperate sheets, let open corps that would like to, get graded on world sheets when it comes to finals.

Never said I was affiliated with either of them. Are we not allowed to just be fans? Or is it always to be assumed that when a person shows support for a corps that they MUST be affiliated? :huh:

When someone responds to criticism or negative speculation in such a defensive manner, it's a good bet.

You want to compare spartans to blue stars, and use how they performed in 2/3 to show how they will perform in 1 (world), spartans and ecj both beat blue star in 2005. so how can you say they couldn't do the same in world. you underestimate.

That's what I thought we were discussing. It's what I was responding to originally. You made the comment...something along the lines of Magic was forced to have a "Division II tour" and I was just stating that there is no such thing as a "Division I" or "Division II" tour. You can do a full tour in Division II (World Class). You can do a partial/regional tour in Division I (Open Class). I guess we were talking past each other because it seems like neither of us knew what the other was responding to.

When you see Division II tour read Division II sheets versus Division II corps. I wasn't referring to the number and location of shows. I don't even know how many shows Magic performed in that year when the were forced to masquerade as a Div. II corps. That will not happen again, I can promise you that.

As much as I like some of the current Open Class corps, especially the developments going on at Memphis Sound, none of them could make finals in their first year as a World Class corps should they ever make the attempt.

You want to compare spartans to blue stars, and use how they performed in 2/3 to show how they will perform in 1 (world), spartans and ecj both beat blue star in 2005. so how can you say they couldn't do the same in world. you underestimate.

Last year would have been interesting, but in 06, I could guarantee spartans and ecj would not have beaten Blue Stars.

As much as I like some of the current Open Class corps, especially the developments going on at Memphis Sound, none of them could make finals in their first year as a World Class corps should they ever make the attempt.

I wouldn't say that it could never happen...I mean, the Academy was close this year.

Academy almost did, but they didn't. that's the point I think people are trying to make. Many people thought Academy had a huge chance at making finals after their "dominating" season in 2006. If Spartans and Surf go to world class, I'd love for them to making finals, or even semifinals, I just don't see it happening. and I don't think I'm underrating our 2006 corps, I don't necessarily think it was our best show out of the three years I marched ECJ.

Oh no.... :P I am! B) Please explain why you think that's a bad concept. I'm all ears.

Perhaps in baseball, the official designation of "minor league" does connote a quality, entertaining product. But in common usage, "minor league" is usually a derogatory term, particularly if used in the same context with "major league". Since DCI is already using "major league" as their marketing slogan for world class, to market open class as "minor league" would, IMO, be completely ineffective.