Open Class auditions...anyone for surf or the raiders?

Anyway, I would just like to say that regardless of the fact that Surf and Raiders seem to dislike each other, I have to say that I don't share that dislike. Surf is a good drum corps and I wish them the best of luck in World Class, if they are approved.

I'm sure that the "dislike" you perceive comes from two competitors in the same state, not unlike any of the many of the other similar great drum corps rivalries of the past and present in Canada, the midwest, or on either coast.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying out for raiders on snare.

Can't wait to see everyone else thats going to be there!

Look for the Black beanie

I'm trying out for raiders on snare.

Can't wait to see everyone else thats going to be there!

Look for the Black beanie

AWESOME! I'm sure you'll love it at Raiders, we have some great percussion techs (IMO).

Surf will most likely be World Class for 2008. We ought to know before the snow flies in NJ.

Dude, what is it with you and the daily obsession with Spartans and Surf going to World Class? Did you bet the ranch and the dog in Vegas or somethin'? Just wonderin'!

B)

AWESOME! I'm sure you'll love it at Raiders, we have some great percussion techs (IMO).

Death Camp, 52 minutes :rolleyes:

Dude, what is it with you and the daily obsession with Spartans and Surf going to World Class? Did you bet the ranch and the dog in Vegas or somethin'? Just wonderin'!

B)

Here's the deal. When Surf goes World, there's no competition with Raiders anymore. Not on anything...scores, members or anything else.

It's not a daily obsession by the way. It's just some folks keep thinking in the past and I prefer the future. Just because Surf and Spartans were in Div. II last season is no reason they will be in Open Class in 08.

So, the comparison between Surf and Raiders becomes moot.

Here's the deal. When Surf goes World, there's no competition with Raiders anymore. Not on anything...scores, members or anything else.

It's not a daily obsession by the way. It's just some folks keep thinking in the past and I prefer the future. Just because Surf and Spartans were in Div. II last season is no reason they will be in Open Class in 08.

So, the comparison between Surf and Raiders becomes moot.

Based on some of the conversations I've been hearing from good friends in the northeastern portion of the country for the past seveal years, it would seem that most comparisons between Surf and Raiders have been moot for some time now. Apples and oranges (and maybe even a few bananas thrown in for good measure).

Edited by corpsvalues

It didn't use to be like that. Remember, in 05 (before I marched) we finished less than a point behind them at grand finals. And we beat them in percussion in a lot of early season shows in 06 as well as most of 05, I believe. I don't know too much about Surf's history before that but I'm pretty sure Surf only just got good recently, right?

Yeah, you are right. I guess I was just going off of last year. I hope Raiders can get to their current level though. That would be great!

A quick visit to corpsreps.com shows the tale of the tape:

Finals Scores

Surf

1994 - 74.2

1995 - 83.2

1996 - 84.1

1997 - 81.3

1998 - 89.5

1999 - 88.7

2000 - 71.4 (Div. 1 21st place)

2001 - 89.85

2002 - 87.75

2003 - 89.9

2004 - 85.875

2005 - 89.75

2006 - 86.175

2007 - 95.70

Raiders

1994 - 74.4

1995 - 77.3

1996 - 79.0

1997 - 79.5

1998 - 81.5

1999 - 84.4

2000 - 80.75 (Div. 3 12th place)

2001 - 88.5

2002 - 78.3

2003 - 81.5

2004 - 79.65

2005 - 88.8 (Div. 3 Champion)

2006 - 80.5

2007 - 84.4

Thus, in response to your post and relative to the "friendly rivalry," it seems that The Surf "got good" for a while now.

Well. :) In Raiders defense 2008 is a new year and if Surf is still in Open Class, who knows what will happen between the two. Much can happen between now and August. I would love to see Raiders really make a move!