Open Class auditions...anyone for surf or the raiders?

Don't pick on the poor guy.

He makes more than just about all of us. He's told us so.

He's got a lot more experience than just about all of us. He's told us so.

Funny thing is that you just can't seem to find him CURRENTLY listed with any ACTIVE drum corps that is still in business.

Here at Disgruntled Complainers Planet, we're just not happy unless we're unhappy.

Thanks! I needed a good laugh!

Edited by dsb2007

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awsome! :) I assume "Teal Sound"? Very cool! Great corps!

And see people...here is a drum corps KID who has a certain level of excitement for his Open Class corps because of the new label for the division. PROVING....that the new system is ALREADY working! Less kids blowing this side of the activity off and insted becoming excited about auditioning for an Open Class corps is a good sign. :)

Your assumption was correct, I am a member of Teal Sound, and that corps is my home and my family. I found that out this last year, and I don't plan on going to a World Class corps anytime in my marching career persay. I am only one kid, like you stated, but I will bet im not alone when I say I'm excited to be a competitive member of the newly formed Open Class. Its an amazing to think, maybe I'll get to say I helped win the first ever Open Class World Championship! Even just getting to be involved and perform is what makes me do it. The feeling and emotion I feel performing with Teal Sound is no less than that of any member of a World Class corps in my opinion. I feel like I'm part of a World Class organization, even if we dont have that title or aren't classifyed that way. Open Class corps have the same work ethics and determination for getting better everyday, just like the " big boys ". When I tell people about where I march at, and when I'm going to marching shows recruiting other kids for my corps, the first thing I always say is " Dont let the division names fool you, Div II/III (Open Class) is where you wanna be." I tell kids all the time to come out, and see what I mean when I say I made another family this summer. And any kids reading this right now that are wondering, Come on out, We'll make you feel at home and you'll have the time of your life.

Live long Open Class, Atleast until I age out. :P

What does this prove?

One person is excited about Open Class.

I see no more competition now that there was in 1995. In fact, I'd wager SCVC, BDB, Spartans, Patriots, Mandarin, Tarheel Sun, etc., were every bit as competitive, if not more, than Spartans, Surf, Teal Sound, Revolution, etc. No offense to these corps, just someone who has seen plenty of Div. II/III since 1995.

And the level of competition may just diminish if both Surf and Spartans go to world class next year. When corps move out of Open to World without new corps replacing them, the competition level goes down, not up.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is planning on marching in Open Class that is excited about the name change. Just about any kid I've talked about it says it makes them wanna go out and try harder, play better, achieve the next level of competition that Open Class has been waiting for. These kids involved with ANY of these corps that I've spoken with, are all thinking the same exact thing, We ALL wanna be the first Open Class World Champion. Every group is gonna push themselfs to the limits, and with the barrirers coming down between the two divisions, it makes us feel like we've got a chance to make history. And, its not fair to compare corps from different era's.. There's no possible way anyone could correctly tell how it would end up. Comparing groups from different DECADES is just unfair, to both groups, it takes away from boths seperate achievements.

So, lets say Surf and Spartans do go. They both move up to the " big time ", and now theres " no " competition factor left in open class.

As many times corps have come into and left Open Class, There have been many great corps to move up or even shut down. If those two do leave, I believe it'll make the competition level go up! It gives the other guys thier chance for thier 15 seconds of fame. Lets say you we're in the corps who got 6th place the year before, and now the Top 2 corps are no longer in your division. Wouldn't that give you more motivation to strive harder and do better? Like I've said before, my opinions are simply that, my opinions. I believe on any given day group A could be way better then group B, there's NO telling who is gonna come out swinging when the season comes around. An upset at Finals can be a kids motivation ALL summer long.

Edited by Teal4Life

Your assumption was correct, I am a member of Teal Sound, and that corps is my home and my family. I found that out this last year, and I don't plan on going to a World Class corps anytime in my marching career persay. I am only one kid, like you stated, but I will bet im not alone when I say I'm excited to be a competitive member of the newly formed Open Class. Its an amazing to think, maybe I'll get to say I helped win the first ever Open Class World Championship! Even just getting to be involved and perform is what makes me do it. The feeling and emotion I feel performing with Teal Sound is no less than that of any member of a World Class corps in my opinion. I feel like I'm part of a World Class organization, even if we dont have that title or aren't classifyed that way. Open Class corps have the same work ethics and determination for getting better everyday, just like the " big boys ". When I tell people about where I march at, and when I'm going to marching shows recruiting other kids for my corps, the first thing I always say is " Dont let the division names fool you, Div II/III (Open Class) is where you wanna be." I tell kids all the time to come out, and see what I mean when I say I made another family this summer. And any kids reading this right now that are wondering, Come on out, We'll make you feel at home and you'll have the time of your life.

Live long Open Class, Atleast until I age out. :P

Good for you! :) Keep up the great attitude and HAVE A GREAT SEASON with Teal Sound! I can't WAIT to see what you guys will put on the field this year!

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is planning on marching in Open Class that is excited about the name change. Just about any kid I've talked about it says it makes them wanna go out and try harder, play better, achieve the next level of competition that Open Class has been waiting for.

Telling him that is like telling it to a brick wall. He won't listen. He will continue to try and find things wrong with the whole thing and find reasons to make you and himself (mostly himself) believe that the Open Class activity is not as strong as the Division II/III activity he was once in.

Maybe it's time for the mods of this board to start an exclusive "Open Class/Division II/III Historic Forum" so the Open Class purists can sit around and complain about how much worse the activity is now compared to "the good ole days" too.

Sorry Tom. I don't mean to be so harsh...but you OFFEND ME! Especially when you are trying to shoot a KID'S dream down. It's one thing to post so much negativity at an adult. But when I'm sitting here trying to give encouragement to a current drum corps kid and then you come in and spit on it...it really pisses me off. Say what you want to me...but stay away from the kids with your negative garbage. They don't need it!

Edited by dsb2007

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
I like the Raiders but I'm not sure I would call an 84.400 to a 95.700 "alot of competition". :beer:

There is more competition than you'd think. It's a small state with lots of drum corps (DCA and Alumni included), but we and the Surf also happen to be two of the only three JUNIOR corps in New Jersey, and have a history of being really close in the scores (this year being a rare exception).

I've heard before that the Surf were cleared to move up to Division I, but that was before it was changed to World Class. Don't ask me what that has to do with anything, but I think it would be wise for the Surf to stay in Open Class. Hopefully, the name change will make it so that people don't think of us as the "minor league" anymore, and then there wouldn't be any need to change.

As for the Raiders, our organization is getting huge. We have plans to bring ourselves up to at least 100 members, and so far they're going perfectly. I've also heard that we will host a home show in the future, but don't hold me to that. My point is, expect to see a lot of change in the coming years.

And as for that score, we had A LOT of rookies in 2007, not to mention we were very small for division II. Like I said, expect to see great things from us later on.

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
I'm trying out for raiders on snare.

Can't wait to see everyone else thats going to be there!

Look for the Black beanie

Great, can't wait to see you and all the other new members on 12/15! If you're looking for me, I'll probably have a varsity jacket with "Old Tappan" on the back.

Yeah, but did Surf ever win a gold medal? B)

An irrelevant question. Not going to even entertain it.

As for the Raiders, our organization is getting huge. We have plans to bring ourselves up to at least 100 members, and so far they're going perfectly. I've also heard that we will host a home show in the future, but don't hold me to that. My point is, expect to see a lot of change in the coming years.

Great! Looking forward to seeing it!

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I admit that I didn't know much about Surf's prior history, so I apologize. It would seem that Surf has been good for a while.

However, I still must say that we were competitive with Surf in drums in 05 and 06...but I think that has to do with Surf being not as strong in the percussion section back then as the other sections of the corps. That seems to have changed this year since they won drums.

hey im trying out for raiders(drumline- bass drum) next year do u have any suggestion or wat should i do before audition

I'm trying out for raiders on snare.

Can't wait to see everyone else thats going to be there!

Look for the Black beanie

hey im trying out for raiders bass drum

did u march last year with raiders and if so do u have any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
hey im trying out for raiders bass drum

did u march last year with raiders and if so do u have any suggestions?

Here is the link to the percussion packet. Learn it inside and out. If you have any other question feel free to email me at jszeinberg@raidersdbc.org

raidersdbc.org/PDFgallery.htm

Jamie Szeinberg

Raiders Drum & Bugle Corps Percussion Caption Head and Arranger

Fair Lawn High School Percussion Caption Head, Arranger and Assistant Band Director

www.raidersdbc.org