2008 Final$ package ticket price preview

I sent DCI an e-mail letting them know that because they require you to purchase 5 tickets (if I understand things correctly) to get 1st dibs on the good finals seats, that I will not be attending finals this year.

We ordered our tickets for Finals this year pretty early, and we were still on like the 15 yard line. I am not traveling 1500+ miles to sit on the 15 yard line.

Good luck DCI.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't your kid get a job to pay for the tour fees?

He's 15 now, so actual legal job options are very limited. His schedule through the fall, with marching band, makes it virtually impossible to work. Spring is not much better. I have tasked him with coming up with half of his corps fee, via mowing lawns, taking out trash, what ever he can do for neighbors and such. That doesn't touch his high school band fees (x2 with his sister in band, too). The high school band is marching at Disney this year (Disney trip fees x4). Transportation from NC to the corps tryouts/rehearsals.

I'm not whining and I don't expect anyone else to foot the bill, but the ticket prices combined with the potential that high dollar tickets may get you crappy seats is just a kick in the nuts. I wouldn't have near the problem with prices if the seating chart made more sense, but if there's a chance I'm going to drop $900-$1200 on tickets and still sit near the end zone? That ain't happening.

...if there's a chance I'm going to drop $900-$1200 on tickets and still sit near the end zone? That ain't happening.

I would feel the same way. But if you want to be there to see him in Indy, here's how to do it. Go Thursday. Maybe Friday. Skip Saturday. That's the expensive one. The cost to go and see end-of-the-year perforances-- and 90%+ of the time, corps do as good a show Thursday as they do Saturday-- is, for you, the cost of traveling to Indy. The ticket cost for a great seat Thursday is comparable to the regional shows, because most people with Thursday tickets between the 35s don't go. You can buy them on eBay at face or lower value or buy them at the gate and at least in recent years, nobody checks to be sure you're entitled to be in the section you're sitting in. If somebody shows up with tickets for your seat, you just move over a few. It's tougher to do this on Friday between the 35s but still possible; but forget about it on Saturday. Everybody shows up and expensive seats, as you know, can be lousy.

Edited by Peel Paint

Come off it...DCI is NOT the Super Bowl. I am afraid the ivory tower mentality of DCI has just priced tickets out of the price range of a lot of their market. I would like to do the whole package; but I am NOT paying 200+ dollars to do so. \

Not good business sense IMO. <**>

Actually, if this isn't "Our" Super Bowl, what is?

Let's see... most state-of-the art stadium on the planet...

World class performances...

A city who WANTS us...

I don't see an ivory tower anywhere in sight. The brand new stadium must be blocking my view.

Well, with a $200 increase in the minimum donation to be a Silver member of Friends, I don't see myself continuing my 15 year history of supporting DCI in this way. So, instead of getting the $300 they got from me last year, they will get nothing ( certainly not the $500 they expect this year). So I'll have more funds to contribute to support the corps I like.

I have been very disappointed in how Friends members have been treated in the past bunch of years anyway (and have complained to DCI many times about this). A big part of this being that they were only giving value to seniority of membership within the level you are in. So if there are a lot of one-year contributors in the Gold level any given year, even with 15 consistent years in the Silver level you could find yourself in much worse seats than you had the year before.

This is the last nail in the coffin and DCI has just lost itself my $300 annual contribution.

(and have complained to DCI many times about this).

Disgruntled Complainers International.

Actually, if this isn't "Our" Super Bowl, what is?

Let's see... most state-of-the art stadium on the planet...

World class performances...

A city who WANTS us...

I don't see an ivory tower anywhere in sight. The brand new stadium must be blocking my view.

Thing is, the activity does not warrant these high-shelf ticket prices...any activity can price themselves out of an audience; and in my informed opinion the decision makers at DCI have not the experience nor the common business sense to realize this. The ivory tower comes in from the isolation that most music professionals and most amateurs tend to live in. Self-importance does not lend itself to good business judgement (just take a look at the corps who have run themselves aground with poor business decisions...they are legion...); and most musicians are self-absorbed, as a nature of the art. (I have been there, too, so I can testify to this.)

And I am sorry to have to say this; but DCI is NOT the Super Bowl. And around my little corner of the music world there are a lot of people who would otherwise go to Indy laughing pretty hard at this ticket scheme....and due to it have changed their minds. (And I am only 4 hrs away from Indy.)

So snide comments do not add up to the facts. Put that in your ivory tower. Or your brand new stadium.

Edited by prodigal bari

Thing is, the activity does not warrant these high-shelf ticket prices...any activity can price themselves out of an audience; and in my informed opinion the decision makers at DCI have not the experience nor the common business sense to realize this. The ivory tower comes in from the isolation that most music professionals and most amateurs tend to live in. Self-importance does not lend itself to good business judgement (just take a look at the corps who have run themselves aground with poor business decisions...they are legion...); and most musicians are self-absorbed, as a nature of the art. (I have been there, too, so I can testify to this.)

And I am sorry to have to say this; but DCI is NOT the Super Bowl. And around my little corner of the music world there are a lot of people who would otherwise go to Indy laughing pretty hard at this ticket scheme....and due to it have changed their minds. (And I am only 4 hrs away from Indy.)

So snide comments do not add up to the facts. Put that in your ivory tower. Or your brand new stadium.

Except people are still going to buy these seats, so they aren't really pricing themselves out of anything. They might be pricing YOU out of something, but then it would be you that is struggling with self-importance