Blue Devils Hornline

RaiderLex

1982 (Technically superior!)

1986 (Balanced power!)

1988 (Everything!!!!!)

:rolleyes:

Chuck,

Your mention of the '88 BD hornline made me think "What was so special about that?" My answer to my own question was "Those altos!" What WERE those alto horns they used that year? They had a medium-sized bell on them and were kinda long and skinny, if I recall correctly. I just remember hearing the sound of them and going "WOW!"

I agree about '86. I'll never forget hearing them at Whitewater. They sounded ready for finals.

Was '83 pretty close to '82? '83 was my first year and I never got to hear '82 live.

Greg

1986 (Balanced power!)

1988 (Everything!!!!!)

Chuck,

Your mention of the '88 BD hornline made me think "What was so special about that?" My answer to my own question was "Those altos!" What WERE those alto horns they used that year? They had a medium-sized bell on them and were kinda long and skinny, if I recall correctly. I just remember hearing the sound of them and going "WOW!"

I agree about '86. I'll never forget hearing them at Whitewater. They sounded ready for finals.

Was '83 pretty close to '82? '83 was my first year and I never got to hear '82 live.

Greg

Hey Greg,

I don't think the Meehaphones (after Jack Meehan) were around until 1989? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For me, it was the baritones and contras in 1988. Yeah, the upper brass had the glory moments, but that opening of "Happy Days Are Here Again" (by Barbra Streisand) just melted the place with its fluid lines and depth of sound. Truly spectacular.

The '83 Devils had a great sound -- but were a little sloppy on the swing style and did not have the overall aggressiveness and crispness of the '82 line in my opinion. If it wasn't for the mildly distracting soprano duet errors in "T.O." in 1982, and the somewhat stiff approach to "Pegasus" (compared to 1980), I would put that performance as the best brass performance in Blue Devil history.

No contest.

Arguably the best hornline of all time.

1986 (Balanced power!)

1988 (Everything!!!!!)

Chuck,

Greg

Hey Greg,

I don't think the Meehaphones (after Jack Meehan) were around until 1989? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For me, it was the baritones and contras in 1988. Yeah, the upper brass had the glory moments, but that opening of "Happy Days Are Here Again" (by Barbra Streisand) just melted the place with its fluid lines and depth of sound. Truly spectacular.

The '83 Devils had a great sound -- but were a little sloppy on the swing style and did not have the overall aggressiveness and crispness of the '82 line in my opinion. If it wasn't for the mildly distracting soprano duet errors in "T.O." in 1982, and the somewhat stiff approach to "Pegasus" (compared to 1980), I would put that performance as the best brass performance in Blue Devil history.

I think it was '88. That would have been my ageout year, but I didn't march (except 2 weeks in July with EK). I went to finals in Kansas City, though. I distinctly remember hearing that sound in KC. I didn't see BD live in '89.

I loved BD '83, man. Everybody Loves the Blues. T.O. If '82 was better, that would have been something to see. I also loved '84 with La Fiesta. Again, like '86, I'll never forget seeing them at Whitewater in '84. Closest thing to literally having a drum-corps induced orgasm I've ever experienced. Of course, I was REALLY into Maynard then and would listen to his La FIesta over and over and over before I ever even knew BD was playing it.

I also loved '84 with La Fiesta.  Again, like '86, I'll never forget seeing them at Whitewater in '84.  Closest thing to literally having a drum-corps induced orgasm I've ever experienced.  Of course, I was REALLY into Maynard then and would listen to his La FIesta over and over and over before I ever even knew BD was playing it.

Hmmmm....was it good for you, too??? b**bs

La Fiesta was an absolute BLAST to play, 'cause we could just hang it alllllll out there! The crowd response was so loud at Finals - even from the field - I would've had a difficult time hearing Gary Zinter count off Like a Lover if the crrwd hadn't settled...and my last LF drill set was fairly close to the DM podium!

Soooo....you were at Whitewater, huh? How good a view did you have of the "Whitewater Wipeout"?

Edited by 84BDsop

I also loved '84 with La Fiesta.  Again, like '86, I'll never forget seeing them at Whitewater in '84.  Closest thing to literally having a drum-corps induced orgasm I've ever experienced.  Of course, I was REALLY into Maynard then and would listen to his La FIesta over and over and over before I ever even knew BD was playing it.

Hmmmm....was it good for you, too??? b**bs

La Fiesta was an absolute BLAST to play, 'cause we could just hang it alllllll out there! The crowd response was so loud at Finals - even from the field - I would've had a difficult time hearing Gary Zinter count off Like a Lover if the crrwd hadn't settled...and my last LF drill set was fairly close to the DM podium!

Soooo....you were at Whitewater, huh? How good a view did you have of the "Whitewater Wipeout"?

Unfortunately, I was only there for prelims. I heard about the wipeout via the grapevine and Drum Corps World. :(

Is it just me, or did the Blue Devils used to look a lot more bad ### than the kids do nowadays? Man, I thought y'all were GROWNUPS when all I saw in my corps were a bunch of kids. Today, they all look like kids to me. :rolleyes: