Who would you rather see?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not thinking about it in terms of which corps accomplished more in 2007, or which corps was more entertaining in 2007. I'm thinking about it from the standpoint of wanting div.II/III(now called "Open class") to get some exposure and some mention on the broadcast. Putting the Scouts on the broadcast would benefit the Scouts. Putting the Spartans on the broadcast would benefit ALL OF OPEN CLASS, and thus the entire activity.

Boy, that's the best explaination I've heard yet. Tom, where are you? This is it man! This is the difference that I don't think you are seeing.

So now you are a psychologist and can attribute my motivations. How gifted of you oh Frazier Crane of DCP.

Now, here's the deal. I've said as much elsewhere....but someone is trying to make this a debate on whether someone likes me or my opinions versus what the facts are.

I feel the DCI/ESPN2 broadcast has always been about raising awareness about the drum corps activity. DCI's elite corps (count the number of times Rondinaro said the word "elite" this year) are featured on the broadcast because it is not geared for drum corps diehards. It's meant as an introduction to a new audience.

Which is exactly why the Open Class Corps would be the best fit. It would bring an awareness to the Open Class activity and "put more butts in the seats" of the Open Class contests and sell more Open Class merch.

OK, I'm stepping into Tom Blair's seat for the ESPN2 broadcast to edit it. After I'm almost done, I realize we have 30 seconds left to fill. I want to feature a corps and I've narrowed it down to Div. II champ, Spartans and 15th place Madison. For the sake of this argument, I found an opportunity to feature all other Div. I corps above Madison for at least 30 seconds. So, it's down to this choice only. I'm asking DCP to help me choose.

Who would get the last 30 seconds?

Madison of course!

Madison

They still can sell more tickets and have a large fan base

Spartans.

They can sell more tickets to Open Class shows and develop a larger fan base for Open Class.

World Class has enough fans. Open Class doesn't. If Open Class sold more tickets, DCI would make more money.

Spartans.

They can sell more tickets to Open Class shows and develop a larger fan base for Open Class.

World Class has enough fans. Open Class doesn't. If Open Class sold more tickets, DCI would make more money.

But But But Madison kicked so much ###!

But But But Madison kicked so much ###!

LOL! Ok! I can't argue with that. :) I liked Madison too. BUT...."Spartans kicked ### too!" And people need to be aware of that. Not for the sake of Spartans...but for the sake of selling the full scope of the drum corps activity.

The flip side is that whoever in World is "MIA", like Madison... it's not fair to spotlight them just because of their position as popular. Since these are generally predetermined, you just skipped (this year) 4 corps in order to show Madison. All you're doing is proving they had a down year.

If you were to highlight the Open champ, it's not arbitrary. You're selecting a position that is the top in a division, not a popularity-dependent one. Imagine if you're in Blue Stars, and your corps has a similar tradition of success, more championships, and yet they're skipped over.

From a marketing standpoint, Madison is a good selection. But since these things have to be decided in advance to be fair, and a selection of 15th would appear to be based on popularity, I would choose Spartans.

If you could get through a similar mention of 11-14 and then 15, I'd say Madison. Since that's not the case at this time, I'd say Open champs.

Edited by drumcat